DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm amazed that people don't get what Foley is trying to say.  He's simply stating that stupid chants and songs that have nothing to do with the match take away, rather than add.  Singing "Hey we want some Bayley" while she's making her comeback is such a high level of glad handing on their part because they are focused on themselves and not the match.

You know who doesn't have this problem on NXT?

Everybody else. The Fullsail Orlando crowd are art students who are fully aware of the theatrical aspect of wrestling. They fucking study media and production. They are artsy students(I went to UCF so I know). They are more than willing to invest in the theatrics provided that you are catering to their reaction to characters and are putting on a good show.

Case and point: the turned on the monotony of Baron Corbin matches being ridiculously short and as a response, the writers have had Corbin address that specifically and he has become better for it.

With Eva, there is some very clear ignoring going on here. Outside of a liveshow or two(I went to one in Cocoa where she got some positive reception but it was the crowd being really patient with her), she has yet to get any positive reaction. They ignore that the ref refused to count to three when her shoulders were down and instead of acknowledging it with a storyline that Eva paid the ref or some shit, which probably would have garnered some heel heat that is positive, they keep insisting that she is this great wrestler when Asuka and Bayley are on the roster.

They know that Eva is not ready and even if NXT is development, they know she should not be in the ring performing as there are plenty of men and women who are still in the performance center next door training. They smell the green. So now they are getting a match that they don't want, aren't invested in, and don't care about other than the inevitable time when Asuka finally gets her hands on Eva(which just happens to be the match I saw in Cocoa).

It is really a textbook example that the reaction WWE has gotten for years when it came to John Cena. For nearly a decade, they booed the guy. Said time and time again that they don't like him and for a decade, fans just stopped caring because WWE is going to put whatever in front of the fans and they are supposed to like it no matter what. 

I am so over wrestlers and performers blaming fans for not liking their craft.

• Like 3

I'm amazed that people don't get what Foley is trying to say.  He's simply stating that stupid chants and songs that have nothing to do with the match take away, rather than add.  Singing "Hey we want some Bayley" while she's making her comeback is such a high level of glad handing on their part because they are focused on themselves and not the match.

So fans cheering and chanting for Bayley during her match has nothing to do with the match?

I genuinely have no idea what sort of crowd the people who bitch about the people at NXT tapings want. Cartoon robots with switches on their backs with settings "cheer" and "boo"?

They're engaged in every match put before them, even the squashes. They cheer for people they like, boo people they don't, and the large majority of their chants are putting over what they're seeing.

They're there to have fun watching wrestling, and every time a chant rubs certain people the wrong way, or goes on a millisecond too long, we're back to "they're putting themselves over at the expense of the product."

• Like 1

The only argument I'M making, is that we stop pretending that when the crowd does stuff like that, that it isn't about getting themselves over.  They desperately want to be part of the show, and you can't tell me that the NXT crowd doesn't see themselves as being part of the show.  I'll be the first to admit that they are generally a good crowd, but they have their moments where they are insufferable and detract from an otherwise good moment.  Have we forgotten them doing the Peter Griffin gimmick when Bayley hurt her knee?  When they do stuff like that, they are absolutely not engaged.

As mentioned before though, they aren't even in the same stratosphere as post-Mania Raw crowds.

• Like 6

The only argument I'M making, is that we stop pretending that when the crowd does stuff like that, that it isn't about getting themselves over.  They desperately want to be part of the show, and you can't tell me that the NXT crowd doesn't see themselves as being part of the show.  I'll be the first to admit that they are generally a good crowd, but they have their moments where they are insufferable and detract from an otherwise good moment.  Have we forgotten them doing the Peter Griffin gimmick when Bayley hurt her knee?  When they do stuff like that, they are absolutely not engaged.

As mentioned before though, they aren't even in the same stratosphere as post-Mania Raw crowds.

Okay. Fair point.

But them booing Eva out the arena is not an example and they are reacted appropriately as anyone would. 

I agree with that. They weren't chanting anything vulgar at her so I don't feel like it crossed a line or anything. Folley comes off like a crybaby. OMG a heel is getting heat how dare the audience disrespect them. Anything is better than the comatose main roster audience that likes maybe 3 acts on the entire show.

I know someone on Twitter told him he should probably talk to his daughter's boyfriend at trying to get over in the crowd.

I forgot that the dude's daughter is dating a guy who got himself over as a fan. 

Dating Mick Foley's hot daughter is a good incentive to get yourself over.

I've mentioned this before, but I don't think I'd have a problem with the chants or the fans if the crowd wasn't so well lit and the camera didn't pan to some dude in a batman shirt with every new chant at the expense of the match. To me, it makes it seem like the NXT producers are saying the way to get on TV is to constantly chant no matter what the situation. Because of this, the fans have been conditioned to not actually react organically, but instead to expect a reward for being 'clever'.

I don't think anyone doubts how committed the Full Sail crowd is to NXT. They very clearly love it. That being said, the way NXT and the crowd have been presented has created a crowd that now expects constant recognition. To me, this is a problem, and it will continue to hurt the overall presentation of NXT.

• Like 5

The predictability and ubiquitous nature of modern audience chanting is what annoys me. The crowd used to chant to affect the wrestlers, now they seem to do it just to show cleverness or let you know their opinions. The former action participates in the suspension of disbelief for all, the latter is for me a modern symptom of the interWeb inspired "everybody listen to me" solipsism. Sheeple, please...

big words, old man attitude,

RAF

• Like 2

— CM Punk & Seth Rollins vs. Antonio Cesaro & Kassius Ohno

NXT • October 17, 2012

— William Regal vs. Antonio Cesaro

NXT • December 25, 2013

Confirmed for NXT's Greatest Matches Vol. 1 DVD/Blu Ray.

Holy shit, the holy grail of NXT matches sees the surface. Pretty surprising they would care to release it now, considering where two of the guys in the match are now.

It also shows her low standards. That could have been one of us!!!!!!

Seriously, fuck Frank the Clown.

Don't.

• Like 1

Never saw anything Crowe did before NXT, but his run in NXT was dull and uninspired. Never saw anything from him that made me think he could break out at any time. He definitely did not live up to the hype around him when he first signed.

I would direct you first to Sami Callihan's matches vs. Finlay. I also enjoyed his tag work with Jon Moxley as Switchblade Conspiracy.

The quasi cyber-punk thing wasn't even him.  I don't think he ever had a "character" aside from "crazy little weirdo who will fuck you up."

I loved his stuff in PWG in 2012/2013, which was right before he went to NXT...great 3 match series with Drake Younger, awesome match against Steen, fun Iron Man match vs Cole, etc.  Chalk it up to a dumb gimmick, an initial push halted by injury, just not catching on, and bad timing (too many indy superstars coming in).  Anyway, I wonder if he'll be booked for All Star Weekend?  NXT's loss is indy fans' gain.

• Like 2