DVDVR Message Board

Players on your favorite team you kind of can't stand

Technico Support

Reggie White had some unfortunate beliefs but I still love the dude cause seriously Greatest Eagle Ever and all that...plus he was like a brother to my teenage idol and Single Favorite Pro Athlete Of All Time Jerome Brown...I can't watch their episode of A Football Life without bawling like a baby...

I saw a Deadspin post about Steve Smith and the ball got rolling. You might be faithful to your team but, like your family, that doesn't mean you need to like them all. So who plays for your team, past or present, that you hate or at least dislike a good deal?

For me, as a Ravens fan (yeah yeah I know), it's Ray Lewis and, to a lesser extent, Steve Smith Sr.

Lewis because he's a sanctimonious ass who likely killed a dude, celebrated constantly as a player even when making routine plays when the team was down on the scoreboard, and generally made everything about him. Fuck that guy.

Smith because he's constantly talking shit and seems angry at everyone, while making some outstanding catches and, at the same time, dropping balls he should be catching easily. If you're talking shit that much, you better be consistently amazing.

Anyway, what you got?

Steve Smith is everything good about football and also 104 years old in football years. Cut him some slack.

I don't presently hate any Panthers. I'm not crazy about Roman Harper. I was really not OK with Kerry Collins back in the day though. Or Jimmy Clausen. Or Chris Weinke. Or late era Jake Delhomme.

I could never think badly of Jake, even at the end.

Smitty was/is an angry dude, but I'd take him back in a second.

Clausen fits the bill, though.

Jake was a good guy, he just sucked after his Tommy John.

Smitty was awesome.

Dre Boston and Julius I didn't like because of the Chapel Hill Cheater stench.

That reminds me.

Also a UNC fan, and I can't stand Rashad McCants. Things were going on that shouldn't have been going on, and it's good they were brought to light.

But he's the most disingenuous, me-first guy that could've possibly blown the whistle. 

Raiders have flushed away most of the walking holding penalty guys and we're only here for the money guys.  What's left I will give a pass to.  If I had to pick someone I would go with Michael Crabtree.  he has that diva WR disease where he thinks he's a whole lot better than he is

Pretty much this.  I mean, honestly, there was so much to hate over the past almost 15 years that I couldn't even get together who I hated most.  Fortunately, the Raiders of now are merely a dull ache instead of a throbbing pain.  

Yeah, Crabtree would be who I'd pick now, though I have a feeling Latavius Murray is going to remain McFadden-level fragile and force me to hate him.  I DO still hate Jack Del Rio though.

That reminds me.

Also a UNC fan, and I can't stand Rashad McCants. Things were going on that shouldn't have been going on, and it's good they were brought to light.

But he's the most disingenuous, me-first guy that could've possibly blown the whistle. 

Well for State guys I can't stand- every State I know fan had a real, deserving and undying hatred for Herb Sendek.

Eva Marie in NXT levels of Hate.

I forgot about Ray Rice! Damn.

Also Brian Billick. He coached the Ravens for 9 seasons. It's hard to complain because we got a Super Bowl out of it but oh man was his shit boring. One Super Bowl vs 9 seasons of dull-ass game management football. "Oh shit we're inside the 30, better calm down and play it safe, don't want to risk losing that field goal by going for a TD."

I like Baltimore but man are you guys spoiled.

LOL Come on man I qualified the shit out of that paragraph!

Seriously, you can't understand until you see nine years of 3rd and 4 at the 25, run for 2 yards and kick a FG, hope the defense can hold.  Most skittish coach I've ever seen.

What the hell are you talking about?  Brian Billick is a offensive genius. 

Raiders have flushed away most of the walking holding penalty guys and we're only here for the money guys.  What's left I will give a pass to.  If I had to pick someone I would go with Michael Crabtree.  he has that diva WR disease where he thinks he's a whole lot better than he is

Pretty much this.  I mean, honestly, there was so much to hate over the past almost 15 years that I couldn't even get together who I hated most.  Fortunately, the Raiders of now are merely a dull ache instead of a throbbing pain.  

Yeah, Crabtree would be who I'd pick now, though I have a feeling Latavius Murray is going to remain McFadden-level fragile and force me to hate him.  I DO still hate Jack Del Rio though.

Crabtree makes a great Dwight Clark when he isn't trying to be Jerry Rice.  Unfortunately the latter happens fairly often.

• Like 1

Seriously, you can't understand until you see nine years of 3rd and 4 at the 25, run for 2 yards and kick a FG, hope the defense can hold. Most skittish coach I've ever seen.

What the hell are you talking about? Brian Billick is a offensive genius.

He's as much of an offensive genius as Steve Spurrier is a quarterback guru.

Alright, now we're talking other sports, so lemme include a couple guys from my favorite team, both thankfully now retired:

Todd Bertuzzi, Red Wings - He played clean as a whistle in Detroit. Too clean. Soft as all get out, slower than me on skates and did nothing to justify his ice time. Still, it just made me sick that the Red Wings - TWICE - brought in the guy that broke Steve Moore's neck with a sucker-punch. Ugh.

Chris Chelios, Red Wings - Dirty player (ask Brian Propp) and threatened Gary Bettman's life. He played great for most of his time in Detroit, so that's all well and good, he's just not the kind of guy I liked having on the roster. My cousin, who worked for years at his restaurant in Chicago swears Chelios is a nice guy. Whatever. Don't like him, didn't like when the Wings signed him, liked it even less when they gave him Bob Probert's number.

Valid reasons on both Favre and White, but shouldn't the first Green Bay answer be Sharper?

I almost completely forgot he played for us, I associate him with Minnesota and New Orleans just as much, but toss him on the list too.

Seriously, you can't understand until you see nine years of 3rd and 4 at the 25, run for 2 yards and kick a FG, hope the defense can hold. Most skittish coach I've ever seen.

I can understand because I watched John Fox coach the Carolina Panthers. Still spoiled.

• Like 1

So the levels of disdain for former Packers would go Sharper > * > White > Others I probably forgot > Favre > Someone else I probably forgot. There's the whole Mark Chmura thing, but I don't know really the whole details behind that. I'm sure there's plenty of horrible stories from the pre-modern day guys.

Alright, now we're talking other sports, so lemme include a couple guys from my favorite team, both thankfully now retired:

Todd Bertuzzi, Red Wings - He played clean as a whistle in Detroit. Too clean. Soft as all get out, slower than me on skates and did nothing to justify his ice time. Still, it just made me sick that the Red Wings - TWICE - brought in the guy that broke Steve Moore's neck with a sucker-punch. Ugh.

Chris Chelios, Red Wings - Dirty player (ask Brian Propp) and threatened Gary Bettman's life. He played great for most of his time in Detroit, so that's all well and good, he's just not the kind of guy I liked having on the roster. My cousin, who worked for years at his restaurant in Chicago swears Chelios is a nice guy. Whatever. Don't like him, didn't like when the Wings signed him, liked it even less when they gave him Bob Probert's number.

Read Chellios' book and he totally lost me when he outright said he deliberately tried to injure other players. No excuse for trying to deprive someone of their livelihood like that.

Ditto on both counts

Trying to think of who my least favourite all time Edmonton Oiler would be. Honestly, Kevin Lowe as GM trading Ryan Smyth is something I might never, ever get over. Like, that trade reduced my mom to tears, not even shitting. Totally gross. It was such a complete punch in the gut. We'd been through a decade of bleeding all our star players to other teams (Arnott, Joseph, Weight, Guerin, a dozen other good NHL people), and that was supposed to be over. And then it wasn't. And they did it out of the blue on the verge of Mark Messier's retirement night which was supposed to be a huge celebration of the team. Let's not touch the centrepiece coming back was Robert Nillson, who was just hot flaming garbage.

Then years of mismanagement and failure later, you get to "I know about winning, if that was ever a concern" because he won 6 Stanley Cup rings playing with Gretzky and Messier, and the more I talk the more I think it's probably Kevin Lowe. Not as a player, but as an executive he was a disaster. Lowe just came to represent a club stuck up it's own ass about how great they used to be.

I have nothing but respect for the great Oilers dynasty of the 80's but I'm done talking about it like it's something we should care about in 2015. Have been for a while. And it's a good thing the franchise has moved on from the Old Boys Club to finally, mercifully bringing in outside people to run the show.

The worst player in Whalers history, Zarley Zallapski. I really wish Burkie had snapped and clubbed him with his goalie stick after one of his countless fuck ups on defense. I don't have the heart to say John Cullen because injuries destroyed him and it wasn't his fault that Ed Johnson was stupid enough to trade Ron Francis for him. Not to mention he saw me by the players enterance wearing his jersey before a game and ran to the back to get me one of his sticks.