DVDVR Message Board

Classic comics you haven't read.

The Unholy Dragon

I'm sure this has come up before but I couldn't find a thread in the past two pages, so hey.

With all the Secret Wars stuff, it brought to mind that I have never read the original Secret Wars. Saw the Spider-man Animated Series adaptation. Read and reread a trade of the black costume saga as a kid. Hell, I know a ton of the moments from the various repostings and discussions on the line to the point where I get nostalgia responses for a comic I have never actually read.

As to why? As a kid it was hard to find, in my teens I boycotted Marvel after the way they resurrected Magneto and wrecked the X-Books post Morrison while also being more drawn to DC and as an adult I just feared it couldn't live up to the hype. With the new Secret Wars being great and a greater appreciation for messy action epics with great art I'll likely grab a trade in the next couple months and knock it off.

So what about you folks? What certified classics have you never opened the first page of? Use whatever definition of 'classic' you like. Say why if there's a story there and if you plan to read it soon, someday, or not at all.

Can double as a wishlist thread.

I've never read Wolfman and Perez' Teen Titans. I've also only read parts of Walt Simonson's Thor and John Byrne's Fantastic Four.

All of those have been on my "list" for at least 15 years, but I'll get to them one of these days.

i haven't read the large majority of Claremont's X-Men run. LOVED the animated series when i was younger, enjoyed the movies, have read plenty of other comics, but never a full X-Men read.

luckily, i'm going to be finishing up my massive Batman readthru, and X-Men is next on the list.

The majority of stuff mentioned so far in this thread remains unread by me. My parents rarely let me buy just any comic I wanted, so my "collection" of childhood comics (which could all easily fit inside a single box) is a hodgepodge of single issues from different years and different titles.

But for myself, I wish that sometime I'd get around to reading a whole lot more of Will Eisner's stuff. I've caught his Contract With God trilogy (the book for which the term "graphic novel" was invented, if that tells you anything) and a random selection of his work on The Spirit, but surely he's done much much more which is worth perusing.

Also, for being an Alan Moore fanboy, I'm embarrassingly incomplete on a few of his franchises. I never got around to finishing Miracleman or Promethea, and haven't read the first page of Tom Strong and a few of his other really obscure side-projects.

I've never really read anything by Will Eisner other than a few online public domain stories.  I keep telling myself that I'll check out the Spirit one day.

I've also never read Maus, which is surprising after how many good things I've heard about it.

Fucking kids........

Why, in my day we read the classics! Because they were back-up stories in giant-size books and treasury editions. And we liked it that way!
Man, scouring flea markets in the 70's and early 80's to find old DC 80 or 120 page giants is still one of my fondest memories.

Oh and the first 50 issues of New Teen Titans is my choice of "best run ever."

• Like 1

How many issues is needed to constitute a run?

More than 6 but less than Stan/Jack on FF?

For how they shaped my comics and non-comics thinking:

1. Morrison Anmal Man

2. Moore Swamp Thing

3. Chaykin American Flagg

4. Motter/Hernandez Bros Vol 1 Mister X

For enjoyment:

Conway/Perez JLA

Englehart Avengers / Cap

Maggin/Bates /Swan/etal 80s Superman

Conveniently excluded: love and rockets, sandman, starman (too large to be a run, imo)

• Like 1

Top ten for sure. Although my vote, personally, is PAD's Supergirl.

But... but Lee/Kirby FF and Giffen 5 Years Later LSH are right there!

James

I've never read any significant chunk of Batman other than the Morrison era and Hush (which is far from essential).

I've never read the majority of post-Dark Phoenix Claremont X-Men.

I've never read Shooter LSH.

Or PAD's Hulk.

Or Conway's Spidey

Or most of Nocenti's DD.

Or any post-first-Galactus FF except for MacDuffie's fill-in run and the occasional random issue.

Or Layton/Micheline IM.

James

I would put Levitz/Giffen over Five Years Later, narrowly.

James

I always get word looks for this, but I mostly don't care for LoSH other than the Threeboot Waid/Kitson run. I also prefer Stan/Steve and Stan/JR Spidey to the Stan/Jack FF.

Waid's Flash, obviously, is way up there for me.

Yeah, the DnA run kinda went off the rails quickly.  I don't understand the impulse to break the team up and strand them in various part of the galaxy/timestream.  If you don't want to write a goddamn team book, don't pitch for the Legion!

• Like 1

See Ra's just came off as cheap fanfic to me. The only thing worse than DnA were the friggin Bierbaums!

(and yeah it boils down to personal taste, but Reboot Legion was Nu-52 before the Nu-52. The only good thing to come out of it was Waid creating XS)

James