DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL: WEEK SEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

Arguing for yet another QB change is just so bad not even the Browns are that stupid. I mean at least they have been picking one bad QB at a time and running with it. If you change your starter more than once in a season voluntarily it's not as if the discussion has any relevance to the outcome of games.

I don't love RGIII and he probably will just get hurt again but in comparison to Cousins: 

40 TD

23 INT

7.5 YPA

63.9%

Kirk Cousins:

24 TD

27 INT

7.0 YPA

61.6%

I don't have a dog in this fight, but RGIII doesn't seem to be the same guy as he was in 2012, likely due to being handled horribly, so I'm not sure including that year gives an accurate representation of what he'd produce this year.  In 2013 and 2014, he started 20 games, played in 22 vs. Cousins career totals of 15 starts and 20 games.  Griffin's numbers in those games:

20 TD

18 INT

7.3 YPA

62.8%

There is also the 32 career fumbles, 20 of them in 2013 and 2014.  I'm not sure how many resulted in turnovers, but that's something has to be considered, too, as well as the 71 sacks in 2013 and 2014.  I'm not sure one is a better bet than the other at this point.

I'm not advocating for RGIII to start, I'm saying the way they are being covered is dishonest.  There are people who are still trying to sell Kirk Cousins as a quality starter.  People say things like, "Kirk can play from the pocket," when he clearly cannot.  People say, "Robert can't read defenses," when justifying playing Kirk Cousins when it is clear he can't read defenses.  The entire Kirk Cousins experience has been built on lies.  I'm not saying they should start RGIII, I'm saying that they need to stop lying to people.

Why should the Redskins start telling the truth about anything now?

If it was just the R's I'd probably be OK with it, but I'm being bombarded on a daily basis by people who are telling me these obvious lies.  As recently as last week the Washington Post had a story saying "Don't Blame Kirk Cousins."  That story ran the day after Cousins threw a pick 6 to lose the game.  A few days after that Ian Rapoport got on the radio and said, "Kirk Cousins has to be one of the best draft picks ever made."  Mike Shanahan, who also told us the Rex Grossman and John Beck were NFL starters, won't shut up about how good Kirk Cousins is.  Ryan Clark, who played in Washington last season, was on Bomani Jones' radio show yesterday.  He brought up how Jay Gruden who spent all last season talking about how RGIII wasn't getting the job done, and now he's talking about how it is everyone's fault but the quarterback.  Not only that, he's saying the exact type of shit that he got mad at RGIII for saying.  The point is that people are going out of their way to support Kirk, just like they went out of their way to criticize RGIII.  People always say that "nobody likes him," but they probably don't hear all of the other bullshit people say about that team.  That seems to be the go to excuse for why anyone isn't getting playing time around here, last week it was Alfred Morris. This is the only team I've ever even heard of where "we don't like him" is an excuse for not playing someone.  It would be one thing if it was just RGIII, but I've heard this about multiple players.  I used to listen to sports radio on my way to and from work, but it has become unbearable to actually have a conversation about local sports.  You ever heard that Chris Rock joke where he was talking about the reason a man can't win an argument with a woman is because a man actually tries to make sense?  That is what it is like talking about sports with anyone around here these days, they don't even try to make sense.  They just tell you every lazy, cliched, bullshit ass point about why Kirk Cousins is great, when none of it is actually true.  Honestly I want to know how people would talk about Kirk in a world where RGIII doesn't exist.  I get it, right now you want anyone but RGIII, but don't try to tell me this dude is good.  He's not, he sucks just as bad if not more than Griffin. 

Oh god. All the pundits are starting to take Carolina seriously and - worse yet - starting to point out (correctly) that Cam oughtta be in the MVP discussion. This is bad for a number of reasons.

(1. I always snag him late in drafts and he's always a productive member of my team.

(2. Flying under the radar is awesome.

(3. I don't want to get excited. Getting excited about over achieving sports teams is the worst. It always ends with the more conventionally talented team on top.

• Like 1

You never want attention on your team if you can avoid it. The Bills get Rex and all the hype, and half the team is in traction. That's all due to just being the Bills, but yes stay under the radar as long as you can.  . . . 

For the second time in as many games, a Carolina Panther has taken home NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors.  Defensive tackle Kawann Short earned the distinction on Wednesday after his two-sack performance against the Seahawks. Short also had five tackles and a pass breakup in the win.  Short becomes the second Panther player to earn the award after cornerback Josh Norman's two-interception outing against the Buccaneers in Week 4.

All your defensive player of the week awards are belong to us.

• Like 1

Some guys aren't afforded the same opportunities. Look at Colin Kaepernick.  I don't think he'll ever be a great QB at this point (and maybe they should be open to finding someone else) but his career QB rating is solid, he took his team to the Super Bowl, he was a play away from another Super Bowl.  Yeah, he's struggled at times this season. He had one of the most hideous games I've ever seen. But he's also had three games where he's thrown over 300 yards with 2 td and 0 interceptions. He had to deal with the Harbaugh circus last year. This year the offensive line is terrible. There's a lot going on there.

If he were someone else with the exact same resume he'd probably be given some leeway but for whatever reason there are people in the media that want him out of football completely. If you watched the game with the Ravens this past week he was playing really well and one of the announcers was still destroying him.  Flacco was playing terribly but they didn't say much about that.

*points at tattoos and online photos and not acting like Russell Wilson for a lot of the wanting him out of football part*

People are worthless. Pundits are somehow worth less than that.

Percy Harvin not traveling to London due to "personal reasons"

Reports are now starting to say that the "personal reasons" are that Harvin is thinking about retiring since he is constantly injured

Percy Harvin not traveling to London due to "personal reasons"

Reports are now starting to say that the "personal reasons" are that Harvin is thinking about retiring since he is constantly injured

Would be nice if you do that in the off season, rather than in the middle of one, but whatever. . . .

This thread has shown me what my own personal hell is

The only thing missing in this argument is the "Jay Gruden and the media is defending Cousins because he is white" argument that some people love to make in this area.  Which is funny because most realize that any argument on race eventually leads to the name of their team

Some guys aren't afforded the same opportunities. Look at Colin Kaepernick.  I don't think he'll ever be a great QB at this point (and maybe they should be open to finding someone else) but his career QB rating is solid, he took his team to the Super Bowl, he was a play away from another Super Bowl.  Yeah, he's struggled at times this season. He had one of the most hideous games I've ever seen. But he's also had three games where he's thrown over 300 yards with 2 td and 0 interceptions. He had to deal with the Harbaugh circus last year. This year the offensive line is terrible. There's a lot going on there.

If he were someone else with the exact same resume he'd probably be given some leeway but for whatever reason there are people in the media that want him out of football completely. If you watched the game with the Ravens this past week he was playing really well and one of the announcers was still destroying him.  Flacco was playing terribly but they didn't say much about that.

The amount of bullshit coming from the announcers re: Kaepernick this past Sunday was astounding.  The ownership lets the team go to shit all around him and suddenly the narrative is he's a bad QB in need of coaching and in-depth analysis of every ball he's ever thrown?  Riiiight.  And you're spot on with the Flacco comparison.  Some of the passes he threw, including that floater interception, were so fucking ponderous, and nobody is talking about him needing reprogramming.

Kaepernick is not RG3, a guy whose skills diminished via injuries and loss of confidence.  He's a guy whose performance has diminished because the owners' long term plan to make a shitload of money paid off and now there's no need to have a good team anymore.  

• Like 1

The amount of bullshit coming from the announcers re: Kaepernick this past Sunday was astounding.  The ownership lets the team go to shit all around him and suddenly the narrative is he's a bad QB in need of coaching and in-depth analysis of every ball he's ever thrown?  Riiiight.  And you're spot on with the Flacco comparison.  Some of the passes he threw, including that floater interception, were so fucking ponderous, and nobody is talking about him needing reprogramming.

Kaepernick is not RG3, a guy whose skills diminished via injuries and loss of confidence.  He's a guy whose performance has diminished because the owners' long term plan to make a shitload of money paid off and now there's no need to have a good team anymore.  

The biggest difference between Kaepernick and RGIII is that they got rid of Alex Smith so there wouldn't be any doubt who the quarterback is going to be.  They gave up a shitload of draft picks for Griffin, and then drafted another quarterback in the 3rd round.  He's been able to struggle without anyone calling for his head.  The problem with the R's is that as soon as Griffin started to struggle everyone wondered why they weren't playing that other guy they drafted.  Cousins has been terrible, but everyone has already given up on Griffin.  Kaep has struggled, but he is being given a chance to improve.  The situation the R's created isn't really fair to RGIII or Cousins for that matter.  They've essentially made a situation where someone at all times is going to wonder why the other guy isn't starting.

The reaction to the suggestion that race could be a factor has been a little outrageous to me, especially since no one said race was THE factor, just a factor.  The bullshit that people say about Cousins are just generally stereotypical "white guy" traits.  People lazily saying "he can play from the pocket" and " he can read defenses" despite all evidence to the contrary doesn't make me think you've looked past his race.  That is essentially describing a white receiver as "deceptively fast", when they are being paid to be professional fast people.  I'd call it confirmation bias, except his play hasn't actually confirmed anything.

I genuinely think Kaepernick is gonna be fine. On another team. Put him on Houston and they're a contender.

Houston has a lot of problems. The bottom line for tonight is the offensive line. They've been horrible. If they protect Kaep he might have a nice game. If they are as horrible as they've been, Seattle will eat him alive and he'll make a couple mistakes. He has been looking down the field more and looking to throw out of the scramble which is a nice improvement.