DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL: WEEK SEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

We have Washington vs Tampa Bay and the game is now called the "CODE RED GAME" thanks to the stupidity of Gruden on Sunday.  Still don't know who ordered the code red but we know if they lose the game we will know who ordered Gruden's firing

I live right outside of DC, and I don't understand how everyone let Gruden run that Kirk Cousins is the best option game on them.  He is terrible.  He's been terrible.  He's going to be terrible.  His ceiling is below average.  He isn't going to reach that ceiling.  Every single thing people said about him was a lie.  All of the praise he gets is unwarrented.  He is most likely the worst quarterback on the roster.  Those other guys are not good.  Somehow his flaws are overlooked.  People said they had to play him, because RGIII can't read a defense.  If RGIII can't read a defense, Kirk cousins doesn't know the alphabet.  He's had 4 multi-interception games this season.  RGIII has had 4 multi-interception games in his entire career.  Other than the amount of sacks they take RGIII is better in every statistical category.  I don't think they can play RGIII any more, because the coach spent so much time telling everyone that Kirk Cousins is better.  Somehow he believes that "It was a little windy," is a valid excuse to why Kirk didn't play well on Sunday.  People still won't admit Cousins sucks.  People were on the radio as recently as last week who saying nonsensical things like "Kirk Cousins is one of the greatest draft picks ever."  I've been telling people all season that Kirk Cousins has no idea what he is supposed to be doing, and they called me a RGIII apologist.  I don't give a rat's ass about RGIII, I give a rat's ass about people lying to my face and telling me it's the truth.  Next year they are going to have to hire a new coach, and find multiple quarterbacks, because Gruden has essentially made the situation untenable.  I asked a coworker who he'd rather have Blake Bortles or Kirk Cousins.  He said Cousins, because once Desean Jackson comes back he's going to light it up.  These are the people I'm surrounded by on a daily basis.  I don't even watch much of that crappy team, but somehow I have a better understanding of what they are watching. 

• Like 1

it is very similar to the Steelers situation at QB.   All game long people were wondering what is taking them so long to bench Michael Vick.  Even the announcers were confused if I remember.  Problem is that people who watched the Steelers pre season games saw Landry Jones just looking like shit against 2nd and 3rd stringers and understood.  Luckily we were proven wrong for at least one game

Most people who regularly watch the team realize that while Cousins is basically Rex Grossman 2.0 he is still the better choice.  Colt McCoy might be the better QB but barely.  Super Bob is only good if he decides to revert back to 2012 which he doesn't want to do because he thinks he can be Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.  

it is very similar to the Steelers situation at QB.   All game long people were wondering what is taking them so long to bench Michael Vick.  Even the announcers were confused if I remember.  Problem is that people who watched the Steelers pre season games saw Landry Jones just looking like shit against 2nd and 3rd stringers and understood.  Luckily we were proven wrong for at least one game

Most people who regularly watch the team realize that while Cousins is basically Rex Grossman 2.0 he is still the better choice.  Colt McCoy might be the better QB but barely.  Super Bob is only good if he decides to revert back to 2012 which he doesn't want to do because he thinks he can be Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.  

They can't play RGIII, despite the fact that even at his worst he was better than Kirk Cousins.  You can't go around telling your fanbase he sucks and then put him hin the game, over the person you're trying to convince us is better.  RGIII is better than him.  Stop saying he's not, because it is not true.  RGIII was horrible last year, but he was better last season than Kirk Cousins has ever been.  I don't understand why people can't see that Cousins is the absolute worse option they have.  He takes less sacks than RGIII, but he is worse at absolutely everything else. 

I agree with what Bomani Jones said, which was basically Gruden has gone so deep with Cousins at this point that if he benches him he basically signs his own death warrant. His only chance is to ride with Cousins and hope to show slight improvement he could claim credit for.

I agree with what Bomani Jones said, which was basically Gruden has gone so deep with Cousins at this point that if he benches him he basically signs his own death warrant. His only chance is to ride with Cousins and hope to show slight improvement he could claim credit for.

100% true, he made his bed and now has to lie die in it.  I wish I could find the press conferences he did when RGIII was struggling to compare with the Cousins press conferences.  He threw RGIII under the bus over and over again, but somehow Cousins gets treated with kid's gloves.  Gruden got the job because his brother is famous and how well he worked with Andy Dalton.  Andy Dalton is better without him than with him, and he is to Roger Clinton as John Gruden is to Bill Clinton.  The hypocrosy of how those two quarterbacks have been treated by the coach, the press, and the fanbase is utterly ridiculous.  RGIII has been better every step of the way, but ask any of those groups and they'll say the opposite. 

I hope someday in the future we have technology to just air these games to a wide audience in a way that won't require people to rely on the quality of an internet connection. What a day that will be when we finally have that technology.

Speak for yourself, I make my living on people relying on the quality of an internet connection for stuff.

I know the joke, I just wanted to make an off color comment for my own selfish reasons I want everyone watching everything on Internet connections.

• Like 1

RGIII was horrible last year, but he was better last season than Kirk Cousins has ever been.

Other than completion %, Cousins was better than RG3 last year in just about every stat. TDs, INTs, Y/Gm, YPA, QBR, QB Rating, everything.

Again, you can't start a QB who has no idea what he's doing in the pocket and for whom there's a decent chance the OL won't try to block as hard for him as the other QBs because they hate him.

As bad as Cousins is, he knows how to be a pocket QB and his teammates like him. That being said, if he's horrible on Sunday he's almost certainly benched during the bye week.

As bad as Cousins is, he knows how to be a pocket QB.

This is completely and totally untrue.

If you take away that one Eagles game where he played the game of his life(trust me, I hear about this game almost every day) he has never shown any ability to be a pocket QB.  That sentence doesn't even mean anything, when you are talking about someone who throws interceptions at the rate that Kirk Cousins does.  If he knows how to be a pocket QB I know how to be a brain surgeon.  Just because my patients die all the time doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing.

• Like 1

And Brittle Bob has?. Look, all Bob can do is zone read which DOESN'T WORK now that all the defenses know how to defend it.

At this point, who do you want as the Skins QB? Do you really think McCoy or Brittle Bob can do any better? The only reason people want a change is because the NFC East is horrible. If it was any other normal NFC East year most Skins fans wouldn't give a shit which of the three horrible QBs was starting.

And Brittle Bob has?. Look, all Bob can do is zone read which DOESN'T WORK now that all the defenses know how to defend it.

At this point, who do you want as the Skins QB? Do you really think McCoy or Brittle Bob can do any better? The only reason people want a change is because the NFC East is horrible. If it was any other normal NFC East year most Skins fans wouldn't give a shit which of the three horrible QBs was starting.

RGIII is pretty clearly better at reading defenses than Kirk Cousins, based purely on the fact that RGIII has played 15 more games and has thrown 4 less interceptions.  You can't tell me someone is better at reading defenses when he keeps throwing the ball directly to the defense.  I'm not saying that RGIII is good, I'm just saying he has shown himself to be better than Cousins.  Last season was a disaster for RGIII, and Cousins had his moments, but it was clear that he didn't have NFL skills.  Remember Cousins got benched when RGIII was injured, he was the 3rd string quarterback at the end of last season.  My point is that the reporting on the two of these quarterbacks has been dishonest, not that RGIII is good or should start.  It is all just lazy generalizations that have nothing to do with how either of them play.  Saying that Cousins is a better pocket passer is blatantly false.  He isn't better at being a pocket passer, just because he doesn't have the option to be anything else.  He's terrible at it.  Saying RGIII can't read defenses is also false, because the biggest legit criticism of him is that he is too careful with the ball and won't trust his arm to beat a defender.  He would rather take a sack than throw an interception.  He'd probably be better if he read the defense less.  RGIII has clearly taken multiple steps back since he lost his world class explosiveness, but he still has more quarterbacking skills than Kirk.  Kirk does not have the ability to adjust to anything.  RGIII at least has the option to scramble.  If the play doesn't happen exactly how it was drawn up, Kirk just throws it where he thinks it should go.  Defenses have caught up with the zone read, but they didn't have to catch up with terrible quarterbacks that will throw the ball directly to the defense.  Will RGIII or Colt McCoy be better than Kirk Cousins?  Honestly I don't know, I just know they both have shown themselves to be better, despite the fact that they've both been terrible.

So you're a Brittle Bob apologist?  Gotcha.

Bob WON'T LAST IN THE POCKET!  His release is too slow.  He only focuses on one receiver at a time.  His teammates hate him.  All he really can do well are screen passes.  And what's the use of scrambling when he legit could get hurt any time he's tackled?

RG3 isn't playing because if he gets hurt the injury guarantee kicks in. It's fairly fucked but that's the deal. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.

THIS. There are other factors, but they will not take a chance on paying him next year now that they have determined he is not the franchise. No point wasting another year after this one in the same place.