DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10-19-15

MGFanJay

The only people in England who know who Sally Jesse Raphael is are obsessive Faster Pussycat fans. And there's an outside chance one of Paige's parents might have been, but probably not.

We did actually get Oprah, Ricki Lake and Montel Williams on our tellies for a while though.

That Sally Jessy Raphael crack by Paige--UGH. Does anyone even remember Sally? I watched her talk show a bit back in the day, and I barely recognized the name for a minute. I wouldn't be surprised if Paige had no idea who she was.

Paige is a British millennial--at best she thought she was cutting a promo about a Ninja Turtle.

You mean Hero Turtle.

• Like 3

It'll be interesting to see how Orton/Harper factor into Sunday.  Did the Wyatts kidnap Orton?  Where has Rowan been all this time (in storyline terms)?  I smell a turn by someone at the show.  I think.

Tending his vineyards.

• Like 1

Man people are really excited here over Mark Henry being downgraded from Worf Effect guy to straight-up JTTS...

I mean, we just love to watch Henry wrestle? Putting Owens over is exactly the kind of position he should be in at this point in his career. Not a thing to be dissatisfied about here.

• Like 1

I find it hilarious that gassed to the gills Batista always beat Mark Henry with a spinebuster, but chubby Kevin Owens was able powerbomb him.

To be fair, there's a difference between pretending to chest-press Henry while he jumps in the air, and lifting and flipping him in a waistlock from a standing headscissors...

• Like 1

One thing about the NXT women getting called up: it's put a stop to the absurd notion that Nikki Bella is good at wrestling

But.  Dat.  Ass.  Tho.

And her finisher's the "Rack Attack" and she has a giant rack.

She has a nice forearm/elbow shot. In another era she could have the Lex Luger loaded forearm gimmick for it.

I just finished watching the show and I legitimately cannot remember what John Cena did on the show. I know he was on it. I remember his music hitting. I see the screenshot on this thread. I know they announced that he is doing a US Open Challenge at the PPV. But I can't remember anything he actually did. Did he do a promo? Have a match? No idea.

Yeah, the Owens/Henry match was the highlight. During the match, I was wondering how Owens would win because it obviously wouldn't be the pop-up powerbomb. But then, there it is. Crazy.

And could they have brought Rowan back in a more anti-climactic way? He just showed up while Michael Cole, very quietly, said "looks whos there".

One thing about the NXT women getting called up: it's put a stop to the absurd notion that Nikki Bella is good at wrestling

But.  Dat.  Ass.  Tho.

She has a nice forearm/elbow shot. In another era she could have the Lex Luger loaded forearm gimmick for it.

This could lead to an amusing skit where Nikki is gone for a few weeks and Brie says "Nikki left for augmentation surgery" and then they say she's got a steel plate in her forearm.

• Like 2

But.  Dat.  Ass.  Tho.

Surprised they haven't given that to Wade, seeing as how he always conspicuously adjusts the elbowpad before he does the Bullhammer.

Didn't watch the whole show, but here's my 2 cents:

• Cole actually said, "Seamus could cash in his money in the bank contract after Seth Rollins beats Kane".  I know it's already a foregone conclusion but come on
  • Has Renee aged 10 years in the last 2 months or was that some wonky lighting?
  • I don't know who gets more credit on that pop-up powerbomb, Owens or Henry
  • Yeah, that Harper/Rowan thing was dummmmmmmb.  I could have thought of 10 things in 10 minutes that would have been better than what they did.
  • The continual English/Irish references during the six-man were pretty lame. 
  • With Ziggler/Hot Summer on MizTV on Smackdown, is this where Breeze gets introduced?

I didn't watch, as I kept my promise and listened to "Classics of the Cinema" instead. But two things have stood out while reviewing the results and associated images:

1) I have come to the realization that the Brownbag Strokerace jokes have parallels to some posters' takes on variations of "Fat Spanish Waiter" in their usernames. For this, I feel I can no longer in good conscience continue the jest. So Brown Strawman it is and shall remain.

2) I admit that, if it's one thing I miss from the Attitude Era, it's the relationship WWE had with Playboy. So many Divas I'd like to see in states of undress. And call me a misogynist if you will, but I admire what those women do in the ring & I'm glad that there's a renewed investment in giving them a chance to shine. However, that doesn't stop me from finding them quite attractive physically; besides, I've dated women whose intelligence & wit & personalities I've admired, and I still appreciated the opportunities I was granted to see their nakedidity. Tl;dr: I won't be shamed.

• Like 3

2) I admit that, if it's one thing I miss from the Attitude Era, it's the relationship WWE had with Playboy. So many Divas I'd like to see in states of undress. And call me a misogynist if you will, but I admire what those women do in the ring & I'm glad that there's a renewed investment in giving them a chance to shine. However, that doesn't stop me from finding them quite attractive physically; besides, I've dated women whose intelligence & wit & personalities I've admired, and I still appreciated the opportunities I was granted to see their nakedidity. Tl;dr: I won't be shamed.

It won't be long before one or some show up in the ESPN Booty Body issue, I'm sure.

1) I have come to the realization that the Brownbag Strokerace jokes have parallels to some posters' takes on variations of "Fat Spanish Waiter" in their usernames. For this, I feel I can no longer in good conscience continue the jest. So Brown Strawman it is and shall remain.

Yeah, I really don't get it. Like, hey, they didn't name him the night he debuted, so when they do give him a name, let's continually refer to him with random words that start with his initials. Okaaaaaaaaay...

Also, note to WWE creative, if you don't want to telegraph the fact that promos are scripted, maybe don't have 23-year-olds making Sally Jesse Raphael references...

As someone who was way into old time movies/radio and the like when I was in high school, the idea that a millennial would crack a Sally Jesse Raphael reference is way down the list of NOPE NOPE NOPE things. Even if she isn't from the US, she's been here long enough that it would've come up previously.

Orton is the perfect case of too much, too early.  Having him becoming world champ at 24 just to spite Lesnar, along with 11 other world titles, has now caused Orton to be burned out and facing an indifferent audience, despite that he should have 5-7 good years left in the tank.  Doing a slower burn earlier in his career may have helped both Orton and WWE on where to go with him.  As it stands, he just feels old and worn out.