DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 76: Holohan vs. Smolka (10/24/2015) - Dublin, Ireland (3Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Tom Breese absolutely destroyed Cathal Pendred. 170 adds another hitman.

Surely the end of Pendred in the UFC?

I mean they gave Ronda's homegirls more opportunities than they deserved. Pendred is at least a good local draw and can be a serviceable gatekeeper. If you need a promising welterweight to look good, put him against Cathal Pendred.

Holohan tried his hardest to beat Smolka. Smolka was just too durable and quick to fall into a lot of those traps in the grappling exchanges. This is what you want out your prospects. Go in against a tough fighter, survive a few scary moments, and then come out on top anyway through technique.  Pretty good fight in every aspect.

• Like 1

If someone like Smolka could work on his wrestling, he would be a dangerous SOB. He already has the toughness, cardio, and grappling ability. He just needs to round it out on the defensive end. His formula for success is being able to dictate the terms standing and not worrying about takedowns. If he wants the fight on the ground, then he can take it there. Ideally, it would be like when Cerrone got more confident when he made more strides in takedown defense. He would be a much better fighter if he could launch an offensive volley with no fear of any potential consequence.

That was a good TV card. Top four fights all delivered. 125 would be a great division if the Champ wasn't so determined to have boring fights every time.

That was a good TV card. Top four fights all delivered. 125 would be a great division if the Champ wasn't so determined to have boring fights every time.

Well, if you can't push him to do anything else, you're probably going to get absolutely dominated for 25 minutes. Benavidez tried to be aggressive out of the gate in the rematch and got the sub machine gun to the face treatment lickety split. That's the second best fighter in the division right now.

He clowned Horiguchi in every way possible (including the last minute submission win), and Horiguchi showed in his last fight that he is a real darn good fighter for someone who has only been facing top fighters for a short while.

I don't even know what to say about Dodson. He looked really bad in the Makovsky fight. Then, he look even worse in the fight with Demetrious Johnson. He looks like he has no explosion anymore after his knee injury.

They're just not as polished as DJ or been able to consistently improve like he has under Matt Hume. There are good young fighters in division, but they are going to need at least 2-3 years to maturate to point where you can call them the #1 or #2 in the division. I think Cejudo can be that guy at 125, but right now, DJ would make it look like he started training MMA last week.

If they started using a smaller cage, that might make a bit of a difference. DJ uses movement to control distance so well, and with the massive Octagon it's basically impossible for anyone to cut him off, because there's so much space for him to move into. 

I feel like I learn a little bit more about fighting every time Dan Hardy is on commentary. Good show. Neil Seery delivered the "I'll fight anyone" line and for a change, it felt appropriate. I'm down for Dalby-Till II.  Aisling Daly is slowly winning me over with her Little Engine That Could- style.

I wonder if they let Gooden and Hardy (Stann could work too) call the 12/10 Fight Pass show. It would make sense as Calderwood is in the main event. I think their team dynamic is good for getting over the lesser known fighters.