DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 76: Holohan vs. Smolka (10/24/2015) - Dublin, Ireland (3Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Dublin_Holohan_vs._Smolka_Poster.jpg

UFC Fight Night 76: Holohan vs. Smolka 

October 24, 2015

Dublin, Ireland (3Arena)

Patrick Holohan (126) vs. Louis Smolka (125) - Smolka, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:09)

Norman Parke (156) vs. Reza Madadi (156) - Parke, DEC (unanimous)

Nicolas Dalby (170) vs. Darren Till (171) - DRAW (majority)

Neil Seery (125) vs. Jon Delos Reyes (125) - Seery, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (4:12)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Stevie Ray (155) vs. Mickael Lebout (155) - Ray, DEC (unanimous)

Aisling Daly (116) vs. Ericka Almeida (115) - Daly, DEC (unanimous)

Scott Askham (184) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (185) - Jotko, DEC (split)

Cathal Pendred (169) vs. Tom Breese (171) - Breese, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:37)

Darren Elkins (145) vs. Robert Whiteford (145) - Elkins, DEC (unanimous)

Bubba Bush (185) vs. Garreth McLellan (185) - McLellan, TKO (punches), R3 (4:58)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Tom Breese
Performance of the Night: Neil Seery

Fight of the Night: Nicolas Dalby vs. Darren Till

Cancelled Bouts:

Stipe Miocic vs. Ben Rothwell - Injury to Miocic

Dustin Poirier vs. Joseph Duffy - Injury to Duffy (Concussion)

I wonder if they give Smolka a push toward title contendership if he beats Paddy Holohan. Other than Borg (3-1 in the UFC), Smolka (4-1 in the UFC) is the best flyweight prospect they have. You can probably still count Horiguchi even though he already fought for the belt.

Holohan/Smolka is a decent co-main event replacement, at least a lot better than Madadi/Parke.  It's just too bad this card lost Rothwell/Miocic since it's a relevant heavyweight fight between two top 10 contenders.  

The good thing is that the Dublin crowd will be pretty rabid for all the hometown kids.

Holohan/Smolka is a decent co-main event replacement, at least a lot better than Madadi/Parke. It's just too bad this card lost Rothwell/Miocic since it's a relevant heavyweight fight between two top 10 contenders.

The good thing is that the Dublin crowd will be pretty rabid for all the hometown kids.

I'm happy they've actually found a crop of good UK and Ireland prospects. I think they got to move past the gritty and scrappy guys like Paul Taylor and Paul Kelly, who weren't ever going to get past a certain level, in order to find people can hold that market down that isn't Michael Bisping. Even though they have Conor, he probably isn't going to fight there more than once a year. If you have a paying fanbase that is willing to see the fights (and they do given how well boxing does), why not give them their best guys?

I find it interesting that Dalby in his second UFC fight is facing another fellow prospect. Till is no walkover by any means, but I still favor Dalby. That's my pick for fight of the night. I think he should be go far at 170 if he can get past a certain level of opponent.

Breese is another prospect and they gave Pendred. One thing that should help him is that Pendred is slower than molasses.

Lebout is decent, but there is a reason why Ray is headlining the prelims. This is a clear showcase fight.

• Like 1

And oh yeah, Duffy is fighting someone in Poirier who can answer questions about him. If he wants to make noise as a blue chip prospect, he has to win this one convincingly or at least put on a consistent performance if it goes the decision.

• Like 1

Problems with the UK TV deal? Saturday in Dublin is airing on Pick TV, instead of BT Sport. Pick TV is SKY's freeview channel, and basically exists so SKY can taunt non-subscribers with non-HD versions of the shows they would otherwise have to pay for.

Duffy beat McGregor, and McGregor beat Poirier, so obviously Poirier has to beat Duffy. That's how the world works.

Although since losing to Conor, Poirier does seem to have improved quite a lot. And Duffy's win could possibly be put a bit more down to natural weight classes and what happens when you fight outside of them, than x>y.

Problems with the UK TV deal? Saturday in Dublin is airing on Pick TV, instead of BT Sport. Pick TV is SKY's freeview channel, and basically exists so SKY can taunt non-subscribers with non-HD versions of the shows they would otherwise have to pay for.

This is what I found on that:

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/10/u-k-ireland-get-ufc-fight-night-76-poirier-vs-duffy-free-on-ufc-fight-pass

Duffy beat McGregor, and McGregor beat Poirier, so obviously Poirier has to beat Duffy. That's how the world works.

Although since losing to Conor, Poirier does seem to have improved quite a lot. And Duffy's win could possibly be put a bit more down to natural weight classes and what happens when you fight outside of them, than x>y.

I don't know if Poirier has improved. Maybe dropping to 145 did take a bit out of him, but I don't know if the Ferreira and Medeiros told me anything I already didn't know. Sometimes, he can fight tentatively, which works to his detriment.

• Like 1

I would say Poirier has at least improved his striking game quite a bit.  He's looked pretty good so far at lightweight, and he was legit at featherweight.  He was unquestionably top 5 when he lost to McGregor.  Gave Cub Swanson one of his tougher fights during his amazing run.

I would say Poirier has at least improved his striking game quite a bit.  He's looked pretty good so far at lightweight, and he was legit at featherweight.  He was unquestionably top 5 when he lost to McGregor.  Gave Cub Swanson one of his tougher fights during his amazing run.

He may very well have, but I think we have to figure that out against a better grade of opponent and less favorable style matchup. I already think he is a pretty good striker. I think he feasts on other go forward and aggressive fighters. His trouble comes against guys who can match his technique and probably exceed it. If he can trouble Duffy in the standup department, then that would be sufficient proof.

• Like 1

Stevie Ray defeated Mickael Lebout - KO (Slap Jack), R3 (4:55)

Fruit Booty Sucka did not deserve to be in the same Octagon with Stevie.

Aisling Daly vs. Ericka Almeida

Yeah, this will not be the usual UFC cute girl chickfight.  Looking forward to leather being thrown in this one.

There are just different philosophies when it comes to how to train when camp begins to wind down. You have people who don't even spar heavy the final portion of the week before the fight. Then, you have a fighter like Ronda Rousey who is going 100% in the middle of fight week during open workouts.

Maybe there is something to curtail stuff like this, but whether they follow that plan or not is up to them.

With the main event changing, does this mean that we've now got a five round fight between two guys who've only ever trained for three? Because that could be... not pretty.

I believe if you signed a bout agreement that states the fight is scheduled for three rounds, they can't change it on a whim like boxing does switching six rounders to eight rounders or vice versa.