DVDVR Message Board

2015 NCAAF: Week 8

Dolfan in NYC

Just a note, May I just note that I don't understand the logic of punting there instead of snapping it back to the QB, have him scramble outside of the pocket as fast as he can, and then throw the ball as far as he can at the sidelines to try to run the time out on an incomplete pass.

Right before the play, I half jokingly said they should put the fastest wide out at QB in the shotgun, snap it and have him run around for ten seconds and slide.

The thing is, in football time, 10 seconds is a damn eternity. If we're talking 5 seconds, sure, take the shotgun snap and heave it. But 10 is a long time to improv. Plus, you've gotta factor in that Jake Ruddock has a wet noodle arm. I'm not sure "as far as he can" would actually have that much hang time.

And theoretically, a lot more can go wrong with a guy just running around trying to keep the ball alive for 10 seconds than with the punt team executing a routine max protect punt that they've done hundreds of times before.

Just a note, May I just note that I don't understand the logic of punting there instead of snapping it back to the QB, have him scramble outside of the pocket as fast as he can, and then throw the ball as far as he can at the sidelines to try to run the time out on an incomplete pass.

Right before the play, I half jokingly said they should put the fastest wide out at QB in the shotgun, snap it and have him run around for ten seconds and slide.

The thing is, in football time, 10 seconds is a damn eternity. If we're talking 5 seconds, sure, take the shotgun snap and heave it. But 10 is a long time to improv. Plus, you've gotta factor in that Jake Ruddock has a wet noodle arm. I'm not sure "as far as he can" would actually have that much hang time.

And theoretically, a lot more can go wrong with a guy just running around trying to keep the ball alive for 10 seconds than with the punt team executing a routine max protect punt that they've done hundreds of times before.

Oh, I know, like I said, I was being jokey when I said it. Then that happened...

Turns out it was the highest rated October college football game in ESPN history, BTW.

You can still hope for MSU and OSU losses and try and win the conference. :-) It sure isn't coming from our side. GO IOWA! And technically since they got some votes, the Badgers are 34th in the AP~! We're coming for you, Iowa...if you lose 3 games.

You can still hope for MSU and OSU losses and try and win the conference. :-) It sure isn't coming from our side. GO IOWA! And technically since they got some votes, the Badgers are 34th in the AP~! We're coming for you, Iowa...if you lose 3 games.

After which Iowa will promptly lose to whoever wins the B1G East by 50 in the conference title game.

• Like 1

Brady Hoke with balls the size of watermelons, criticizes Harbaugh. . . http://deadspin.com/brady-hoke-who-made-bad-decisions-questions-jim-harba-1737880559

This is the same Brady Hoke who, last year in the game against Minnesota, kept running out a quarterback that was clearly concussed, yes?

Yes.

The perfect response to this stuff:

Brady Hoke: I wouldn't have punted!

Jim Harbaugh: I would have blocked Jadaveon Clowney.

• Like 1

Brady Hoke with balls the size of watermelons, criticizes Harbaugh. . . http://deadspin.com/brady-hoke-who-made-bad-decisions-questions-jim-harba-1737880559

This is the same Brady Hoke who, last year in the game against Minnesota, kept running out a quarterback that was clearly concussed, yes?

Yes.

The perfect response to this stuff:

Brady Hoke: I wouldn't have punted!

Jim Harbaugh: I would have blocked Jadaveon Clowney.

Well, to be fair, if you watched that whole bowl game, mostly single blocking Clowney worked for all but one play all game.

Just... Damn, that one play was a doozy.

But Hoke would have been down 15 at the end of this game anyway...

I did watch that whole game and Clowney was mostly invisible. He made one really great play, turned that into a junior year where he didn't do a darn thing, and then became a high draft pick that's done nothing in the NFL.

In defense of Hoke, he did actually beat Michigan State once, which I'd completely forgotten.

• Like 1

Yeah, Michigan was damn good his first year.

They actually lost to State in Hoke's first year*. You don't remember the Sugar Bowl controversy with Michigan getting the invite over Sparty despite identical records and Sparty winning the heads-up?

* - Remember, no Michigan coach since Oosterbaan in 1948 has beaten Sparty on their first try.