DVDVR Message Board

THE 2015 ALCS - TORONTO @ KANSAS CITY

Dolfan in NYC

Unfortunately, taking a home run cut in a situation where only a single is necessary is part of Donaldson's deal.  Could've slapped that first strike into right field, and trying to homer off Wade Davis is generally a fool's errand.

Ah well.

They made adjustments to just try and make contact after the first two games against Texas but it seemed like in this series, with men on, they were trying to crush it and it wasn't working. So many mistakes throughout the series and they were playing a team that doesn't make many. The more clinical team won.

Unfortunately, taking a home run cut in a situation where only a single is necessary is part of Donaldson's deal.  Could've slapped that first strike into right field, and trying to homer off Wade Davis is generally a fool's errand.

Ah well.

They made adjustments to just try and make contact after the first two games against Texas but it seemed like in this series, with men on, they were trying to crush it and it wasn't working. So many mistakes throughout the series and they were playing a team that doesn't make many. The more clinical team won.

Tough when you got a group that have little to no playoff experience they seemed to clinch up a bit.  Dispointting Martin didn't get anything going in this series

Killer boots, man.

I think A-Rod is going to be really good at this studio analyst thing.

The more cynical among us might posit that A-Rod has gotten a lot of practice in saying things he doesn't necessarily believe but knows sound good. :)

But yeah, he seems like he could make it a regular gig if he doesn't mind the pay cut.

Fine, Joe Carter has to fuck the Amish Guy. Happy?

Also, this.

@DAVIDprice14

Not how we wanted to end our season but our heads will be held high...what a group of guys we have in our locker room! #ComeTogether 21m

He won't be there next year anyway unless they're really going to back up the truck and just start dumping Looneys on him.

I was at the game. Some notes.

1) I was surprised that the Jays didn't try suicide squeezing Pompey once he got to 3rd base. I think if Goins, Dioner or Revere did that, they tie the game. Although I don't think teams typically play for a tie on the road.

2) I don't get the decision to use Osuna. Typically teams don't use their closer on the road in tie games. Typically teams don't use their closer on the road in the 8th inning in a tie game. Osuna had no goddamn control of any breaking pitch and it was pretty obvious early.

3) Apparently Bautista kept throwing the ball to 2nd on singles to RF, inspiring the Royals 3rd base coach to send Cain home from 1st on a single.

4) Ben Revere makes contact so damn much that striking him out there was stunning. Even if you take into account the called strike. If 90% contact rate Ben Revere makes contact, it's a tie game.

4b) Jeff Nelson managed to have a vast strikezone without contradicting himself as much as other big zone umps. I'd need to see it on TV, but the Brooks/Fangraphs zones say that the 2-1 to Revere wasn't a strike, or the 1-1 to Navarro (or a 2-1 from Herrera to Goins). Sometime umps call strikes on 3-0 or 2-0 to keep things moving along. It's a shitty status quo.

edit: just watched the bottom of the 8th and top of the 9th. Perez pretty much framed both of those pitches and actually got the calls. Pretty stellar inning for a catcher that isn't a good pitch framer (if you believe the formulas)

4c) at the same time, virtually any contact aside from a line drive out or a popout scores Pompey. Wade Davis apparently woke up sick today, pitched both ends of a rain delay, and got 3 outs with the tying run on 3rd.

5) Sometimes managers can pitch Ryan Madson in the 8th vs a team that has owned him and get out of it with a W.

6) David Price didn't get a loss. And basically had more of a bad luck outing than a bad outing.

• Like 1