DVDVR Message Board

Best Punk Rock (or wahtever) Name

DEAN

Not exactly punk but Buster Bloodvessel from Bad Manners is worthy of mention.

Also amazed the thread has gone this long without anyone mentioning Jello Biafra.

• Like 1

Also amazed the thread has gone this long without anyone mentioning Jello Biafra.

Maybe the meaning/impact of the Biafra reference has faded for some people and he's not as quick to mind as a result.

Although on one of the albums he did with the Melvins, he updated somewhat and used the "alias" of Osama McDonald, which made me cackle.

I know it's not an individual name, but there's a sub-genre of punk out there called Taqwacore that's comprised of punk music made by Muslim-Americans. My favorite band name in this genre is the amazingly named VOTE HEZBOLLAH. There's also another band in the genre called BOX CUTTER ATTACK. Total punk rock names.

Also, not sure if I ever posted it here, but I went to this combined gutterpunk/wrestling show back in '96 that was, by far, the most fucked up thing I've ever seen in my life. The headlining act was THE MURDER JUNKIES, the backup band of the late, great GG Allin. Other bands included Philly scum Rancid Vat and also another band Antiseen. Those dudes were all major rasslin' fans and had songs about Bruiser Brody and the like.

It took place in the Northern Liberties neighborhood in Philly. Right now, NoLibs is Philly's Williamsburg-type area. But back in 1996, it was a teeming shithole of abandoned buildings and crackheads. I took the subway down so I had to walk through these areas and saw dudes openly smoking crack.

Show was at a city-run rec center. The first band that played was this infamous local band Snail Trail, who were from Kensington, which might be the worst neighborhood in the country. It is NO JOKE there. The urban legend surrounding them was that they robbed a group of musicians and decided to form a band after a pawn shop turned them away.

The crowd was absolute lunacy. I went with two of my dorky friends from college. But everyone else were these mutants -- proto-crust punks, hardcore dudes who were essentially gang members, skinheads, etc. And they all had some sort of beef with each other.

They started their set by launching Roman candles and other fireworks up in the air. But the ceiling was 12-feet high at most. So these things were flying off the ceiling and into people's faces an bodies.

In between bands were hardcore wrestlers. It was a bunch of dudes obviously angling to get into ECW. I think the most famous dude there was Mad Man Pondo? It was essentially a slight step up from backyard wrestling. Just a lot of mid-90s garbage rasslin' -- thumbtacks, barbed wire, lightbulbs and everything from an Atsushi Onita tape. So awesome.

Then the Murder Junkies played WHILE a battle royale was taking place. During the Murder Junkies, some fight started and it turned into a straight-up Roadhouse brawl. Dudes were breaking bottles and pulling out blades. My buddy and I (our one friend was in the middle of all this) pinned ourselves against the back wall of the bleachers because people were getting straight-up jumped from behind. And the band STILL played.

Meanwhile, as actual violence was happening, these wrestlers were fake fighting after they were eliminated from the battle royale. It was so surreal seeing some dudes with frosted mullets and Brutus Beefcake-style ripped mesh trunks just all of a sudden seeing what was happening and going "WOAH!" and running to the back.

The PA eventually busted after some dudes got knocked into it and the soundboard I think was tipped over. At that point, Merle (GG's brother, who comically lives in the North Jersey suburbs and can be seen walking his dog at local parks) stood up to the stage. Dino, the drummer with pink hair who plays naked, just started screaming "GG ALLIN!!!!" over and over again. Eventually, he came to the front and performed a sex act on Merle while shoving drumsticks into a certain part of his anatomy.

This shit was way too much for me. It seriously felt like I was going to see someone killed, and this shit was going to end with the police teargassing the place. But then we headed to the stairwell and there was a big pool of blood and a mass of people by the door -- just looked very much like a horrific crowd crush that would increase my chances of dying by 10-15%. We backpedalled and eventually left via a fire escape -- careful not to make eye contact with any of the lunatics in there because it was insane.

I was in all gifted programs and honors classes growing up. I then became a fuck up who cut class and all that. A lot of my overachiever friends used to give me crap because I could have had good grades without really trying. But I think I made the right choice because there's no way I would have gone to that concert if I didn't screw around in high school.

• Like 5

I know he was not a performer, but the lack of love for Kosmo Vinyl makes me sad. 

I also nominate "Ramone" as a collective since every member of the band went along with the gimmick, used Ramone as part of their stage name, and even teased familial relationships.

• Like 1

I am totally reposting that story on Facebook (with permission. Gregg?) and thinking that we need a thread just for punk rock stories -- shows, living at a punk house, whatever.

Go for it! Once the thread starts I'll throw up the video of the show I missed going to the most in my life. It was an Earth Crisis show circa '97 or so in New Jersey where a bunch of people stormed into the community college gym where it was taking the place wearing fake fur coats and throwing yogurt at everyone. A+ troll work. I was turned away at the door by the local fire marshal.

You got a pretty good response on Facebook and a probable new board member from my friend Clayton. I still can't stop laughing at that story. "GG ALLIN!!!"

For anyone who wants to know more about Antiseen this about says it all.

Leave it to one of the worst punk bands to rep pro wresting

• Like 1

Gregg, I might have asked you this before, but did you ever go to the legendary City Gardens in Trenton? Or as we called it, the Shitty Gardens?

I never made it. They were wrapping up having shows there right when I started getting into shows. A few of my friends went and saw someone.

I have no idea if EARTH CRISIS has any lasting imprint. If you're my age (late-30s), then you'll fondly remember the halcyon days of the 90s when the craziest and most violent shows were populated by vegans. It's still something that completely boggles my mind. The NY/NJ/Philly area was populated with seemingly thousands of terrible hardcore bands. This is some of the absolute worst music ever made. I was constantly dragged to these shows by my friends. They were all awful and I learned that just hanging out by yourself and reading or watching baseball by yourself was a perfectly acceptable way to spend a weekend night.

The best was when a "national" act would come and play at one of these shows. Sometimes it would be, bizarrely, a Hare Krishna-positive band. But the best was whenever Earth Crisis would come through. They sang all their songs about animal liberation and intense veganism and things like that. I'm all for a healthy lifestyle but man, making insanely aggressive music to promote a protein-deficient diet always baffled me.

This was at Middlesex County College in New Jersey. My friends and I hit some traffic on the NJ Turnpike on the way up from Philly. We were literally the first group of people denied entrance as it was too crowded.

This show quickly grew in legend from those in attendance. YouTube footage surfaced a few years ago and it was as crazy as rumored. A sad moment and huge regret that we didn't leave just 10 minutes earlier.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

There is an all girl punk band playing on a repeat of Carson Daly Live tonight called The Coathangers and in Ramone-esque fashion, each band member has taken the last name Coathanger (Minnie Coathanger, Rusty Coathanger, Crook Kid Coathanger). 

• 4 months later...
On 1/3/2016 at 0:48 PM, Greggulator said:

Also, not sure if I ever posted it here, but I went to this combined gutterpunk/wrestling show back in '96 that was, by far, the most fucked up thing I've ever seen in my life. The headlining act was THE MURDER JUNKIES, the backup band of the late, great GG Allin. Other bands included Philly scum Rancid Vat and also another band Antiseen. Those dudes were all major rasslin' fans and had songs about Bruiser Brody and the like.

It took place in the Northern Liberties neighborhood in Philly. Right now, NoLibs is Philly's Williamsburg-type area. But back in 1996, it was a teeming shithole of abandoned buildings and crackheads. I took the subway down so I had to walk through these areas and saw dudes openly smoking crack....

Hey, I worked that show. Still have a T-shirt, poster, flyer, etc...

Buster Bloodvessel is good, but WINSTON BAZOOMIES rules hard.

- RAF

• Like 1

Since our beloved second Reverend posted that, and I had to download Just Can't Hate Enough because I've been on a Celtic Frost guitar tone kick recently: 

PAUL BEARER from Sheer Terror

That pre-dated Percy taking up the title too, I think. And they were such assholes to cover "Boys Don't Cry", yet had no alteration to the lyrics or anything at all, so I wonder if it's as good or better than Hub City Stompers' "Skins Don't Cry". 

You can look to the random thread to hear "Roses" send the year off in appropriate fashion

• 5 months later...

I finally got into the Feederz and they have one of the best punk bandnames ever: Frank Discussion. 

Here is this so you can contemplate ruining someone else's life because you wasted yours. It is one of the best punk rock songs I have ever heard, and I am a gourmand of punk rock songs. 

• 3 months later...

Just in general, I'm annoyed with you people for not turning me on to X-Ray Spex twenty years ago like you did Mission of Burma and the Avengers and Joy Division and the Undertones and whatever else I learned about from the DVDVR board in 1999. 17 year old me would have loved them.