DVDVR Message Board

PnP RPGs (Pen and Paper Roleplaying Games)

Shadowrun forever!  (Second edition is the only REAL one!)

...sadly, due to a total lack of friends in my youth, I only got to play like three rounds of Shadowrun ever.  I've got thirty of the damn sourcebooks that do little but sit there and collect dust.  

I bought a set of the Basic D and D rules and a couple boxes of those little metal figures really cheap at a garage sale as a kid, and I was always fascinated how even the Basic rulebook contains essentially the basic core of every RPG video game ever made at that point. I fiddled with it a little but that was around when I got sidetracked by the Satan spawned curse upon my youthful wallet known as Magic: The Gathering.

I'm a huge P&P rpg guy. A group of my friends who used to mock me as a kid for playing them all of a sudden became interested in them so I'm GM'ing a http://www.dungeon-world.com/ campaign for them. Dungeon World is awesome for beginners. It has a streamlined combat system and is open source so bye bye dropping $100 a year on sourcebooks. 

I just got home from Gen Con, ie, Death To Foz's bankaccount, with a tonofRPG's. Currently, I love 13th age, which is like a 3.5/4E D&D that mixes all the good, with none of the bad. It's awesome

Isn't that what Pathfinder essentially is?

I had regular gaming group until about a year ago. People would drift in and out and we'd play everythign from D&D to CoC to Vampire: Requiem. It was always a good time and I usually cooked dinner.

James

13th Age is a lot less fiddly and overdetailed (and created by the folks who did 3E and 4E dnd)

http://www.pelgranepress.com/?cat=248

Some interesting things in there, for example, an escalation die that starts at +1 on the second turn and goes up +1 on each turn after that. The escalation die provides a bonus to players rolls, and it can also provide other benefits during a battle for a player (for example, the barbarian rage ability, if the escalation die is at 4+, doesn't use up your use of Rage for the day)

It keeps it from devolving into the swing and miss fest that 3.5 can turn into..

It also makes the characters feel a lot more awesome, even at first level (there's only 10 levels, 1-5 is basically adventurer tier, 6-8 is champion tier, 9-10 is Epic Tier), as part of it is that you generate the One Unique Thing about your character, and the character level makes advancing levels a lot more powerful (base weapon damage is +1dX for each level, so a fifth level fighter using a d8 sword rolls 5d8 for damage)

I've been playing DnD with the same group of friends for over a decade now starting with 2nd edition and now we're beta-testing 5th edition.  We even have some people who play with us via webcam since they've moved elsewhere.  These days we don't meet as much as we used to and when we do it's as much catching up and reminiscing as playing, but damn it's still a ton of fun.

How does 5e look?

I'm still not sure on 5e, up till now we've mostly done the one-shot adventures that come with the DnD Next stuff.  Combat is still simplified as to say 2nd/3rd edition, but the attacks and class/race skills allow for a little more creativity then I feel there was in 4e.  I've mostly played a Halfling Rogue and exoiting it's coverage bonus sneak advantage roll skill.  Hopefully they've reworked that because I can pretty much sneak attack from range at all times.

With the new campaign though I'll revert to Dwarf Fighter and give that a spin.

I, too, was at GenCon. That auction room is SATAN.

I have been playing D&D off and on for 35 years now. I have dabbled in numerous games over that time. Right now, I am just getting back into the swing of things, even if I don't really have a gaming group. Lately, I've been focusing more on B/X and BECMI D&D, although I've been on a tear to acquire a lot of the 2nd Ed AD&D splatbooks and supplements. I also have a sizable collection of West End Games' Star Wars stuff, everything produced for Unknown Armies, and a lot of Cyberpunk 2020 stuff from RTal. I also have a few of the OSR "retroclones", like Labyrinth Lord and OSRIC, as well as Mutant Future (kinda like OSR Gamma World retorclone) and the new Majus game from Pacesetter (Unknown Armies lite). And I have a TON of figs to paint from the Reaper BONES kickstarter.

I've been buying up copies of the original Paladium Robotech RPG books whenever I can find them in hopes of talking my group into letting me run a campaign. Thus far they're not feeling it. While we're waiting for a member of the group to return from vacation I'm going to run a one-off Nova Praxis game to introduce them to FATE. I'm also itching to run a Dead Reign campaign eventually. 

I did and it looks amazing. I was really tempted to contribute to their Kickstarter but I currently have like 6 RPGs whose Kickstarters I'm already in on. There are tons of really cool RPGs on Kickstarter right now. It's awesome seeing games that never would have seen the light of day 10 years ago getting a chance to make it through group funding.