DVDVR Message Board

All Japan SUMMER IMPACT 2013 Finale on 8/25/13

Kevin Wilson

So that the "bigger" events don't get too bogged down in the Catch-All Thread, I am going to be making something of an effort to create threads for the bigger shows.  If there is a promotion I don't follow much that I miss (like DG), feel free to create them too :)

Posted Image

All Japan SUMMER IMPACT 2013 

Ota Ward Gymnasium
Announced Attendance: 1,304

1. Osamu Nishimura defeated Kazushi Miyamoto (8:26) with a Backslide
2. Masanobu Fuchi and SUSHI defeated Tamon Honda and Masao Inoue (18:02) with the TEKKAMAKI from SUSHI to Inoue
3. Jun Akiyama defeated Takao Omori (11:12) via Referee Stop (Knee to the Face) 
4. Exhibition Match: Joe Doering and Masahiro Chono defeated KENSO and Nobuo Shiraishi (8:52) with a STF from Chono to Shiraishi
5. All Asia Tag Team Title: Kotaro Suzuki and Atsushi Aoki © defeated Argenis and Drago (11:54) with the Assault Point from Aoki to Argenis (3rd defense)
6. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Yoshinobu Kanemaru © defeated Hikaru Sato (22:28) with the Touch Out (5th defense)
7. Triple Crown: Suwama © defeated Go Shiozaki (35:02) with the Last Ride (2nd defense)

Posted Image Posted Image

Results from our good friends over at purolove.com

So no titles changed hands, attendance seems low... but the main event is getting good reviews and I am sure it will be worth a watch.  Oh the event threads won't be spoiler free so if you don't want to know, don't go to the thread :)  A week or more of spoiler boxes and people responding to spoiler boxes sucks.

First post updated with the results from purolove.

I am surprised no titles changed hands at all, although the results seem right.  Suwama needed to hold onto the belt a little bit longer since he is the "biggest" home grown talent by a long shot.  I am looking forward to the Triple Crown match and the All Asia Tag match, the rest don't look overly interesting to me.  Akiyama/Omori could be good if it was a "heavyweight sprint" style of match.

Why do so many Japanese promotions insist on running venues they can't realistically sell out or draw well at? Is it a pride thing like when New Japan would run the Dome on 1-4 even though they'd only get 12,000 people?

It has to be so depressing for the wrestlers to work in front of that sparse a crowd in such a large venue.

I mentioned on F4W that one good thing about the mass exodus is that now their payroll is a lot less and theoretically, they might be paying some of the guys who stuck with them more. Obviously, their profits are less too now, but it does raise an interesting point that hasn't been mentioned.

I can't be the only one pumped for this tournament next month:

AJPW, 11.09.2013
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1. Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Low Ki vs. Dark Cuervo  
2. Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Joe Doering vs. SUSHI
3. Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Go Shiozaki vs. Kotaro Suzuki
4. Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Jun Akiyama vs. Akebono

AJPW, 14.09.2013
Yokohama Radiant Hall

1. Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: KENSO vs. Bambikiller
2. Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. D'Lo Brown
3. Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Takao Omori vs. Atsushi Aoki
4. Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Suwama vs. Kento Miyahara

The bracket sets up Low Ki vs. Akiyama in the Quarterfinals (or Ki vs. Akebono?!?)