DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: RESPECT

RIPPA

Dana brings the trashy hotness AND has improved a bunch in a short amount of time. It's crazy that some people are still hating on her.

Almost as crazy as the people who still hate on Corbin. Who would have thought the guy who did nothing but squashes for a year is a REALLY good WWE big match worker. Small sample size, sure, but the Joe match was super underrated around here. Both of the tag tourney matches were solid. The first one was my favorite match of the night. He seems to be a solid base who has found that sweet spot where he is selling, but not too much for a guy his size....... + his finisher is still super cool. Seems to be stronger than he looks as well.

Really, the only complaint I have left for Dana is the arm pit, arm stroke, stripper hips, tongue out, over and over again. Past that, she's getting better and better every time I see her work.

She's a heel..that's supposed to piss you off. So she's doing her job.

The only thing she seems to be making a conscious decision to do that I don't care for is her handstand-based offense, the choke in the corner and the...armpit drop? They both have looked completely non-hurty each and every time she's done them.

That handstand choke was screaming for an Asuka heel hook.  But I guess they don't want to kill the move just yet.

Seeing Dana do the arm pit taunt 100 times was worth it to see Asuka mock it. I don't know if I'm ready to call Corbin a good big match worker yet. Jordan and Gable are kinda fucking awesome, and the tourney finals was the worst match on the show. He is 10 times better as a heel, and I've been really impressed with his ability to keep up with and bump for smaller guys.

• Like 1

Dana brings the trashy hotness AND has improved a bunch in a short amount of time. It's crazy that some people are still hating on her.

Almost as crazy as the people who still hate on Corbin. Who would have thought the guy who did nothing but squashes for a year is a REALLY good WWE big match worker. Small sample size, sure, but the Joe match was super underrated around here. Both of the tag tourney matches were solid. The first one was my favorite match of the night. He seems to be a solid base who has found that sweet spot where he is selling, but not too much for a guy his size....... + his finisher is still super cool. Seems to be stronger than he looks as well.

Really, the only complaint I have left for Dana is the arm pit, arm stroke, stripper hips, tongue out, over and over again. Past that, she's getting better and better every time I see her work.

She's a heel..that's supposed to piss you off. So she's doing her job.

I like great heel work and taunts...but not the same taunt....exactly the same, over and over again. It's just not creative. She can (and I think will) do better.

After watching the Asuka/Dana Brooke/Emma backstage video, I would hate to be the wrestler in the back trying to date her.   Not because she isn't attractive but man if you mess with her it is clear she is going to treat you like Ryhno treats a potted plant when angry.

Well, this is Tajiri telling her that she's "a woman passed her expiration date" (1:30 seconds in):

I have little idea what happened, but Dwight Schrute Tajiri is something that I can get behind 1000%

How does Dana Brooke have grey hair???

She dies it that way.

It's a fashion thing with younger women right now.

My friend was trying for a bit to do this hair style. She was trying to get her hair snow white. It actually takes a lot of precise bleaching to get the look. If you don't do it right you end up with the grey hair look.

Personally I like the direction Dana Brooke has been going since she debuted. She came in as this proto fitness/body builder type that the WWE likes. She could have easily just worked the power woman style (Chyna/Beth) but to her credit she's actually changed a bit. The best thing for her was teaming up with Emma. They just play off each other perfectly. I'm not sure that whole backstage bit with her thinking she won and Emma afraid for her life with Asuka would have worked with anyone else.

How does Dana Brooke have grey hair???

She dies it that way.

It's a fashion thing with younger women right now.

It also happens if you use certain shitty hair blonde hair dye products on frequently coloured hair. Don't know why it's a fashion if it is intentional, because it looks like shit.

Maybe because of her being knocked loopy, she can have visions of one of the greatest diva that ever competed, the late great Santina Marella. 

No one else world be able to see her but Dana.

... then cue training montages.

Reminds me of some English soccer coach.  One of his players got knocked out and the trainer came over and said, "I think he needs to come out, he has no idea who he is."  The coach said, "Tell him he's Pele and get him back out there."

• Like 1

Just to play devil's advocate, does it have historical significance if women's wrestling on the main roster stays the way it is now?

Is headlining a full sail show on a network more historically significant than main eventing RAW in 2004?

I'd say even the Brooklyn match is more important historically because they had one shot to pay off the Bayley story and they stole SummerSlam weekend. If that match is mediocre, the tag finals headline this show.

• Like 2

They have so much to overcome on the main roster. The fans perception of women's wrestling, the atrocious booking, Total Divas etc. It's just a damn steep hill to climb, and as good as the Horsewomen, Emma, and Asuka are I just don't know if it'll ever click like it has in NXT. This is a company that's taking one of the best top to bottom rosters they've ever had, and is having unwatchable shows on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

I don't have anything to add except that was a fun ass show. The Iron Woman match has to be MOTY right?

If you only watch WWE product, maybe.

Japan watchers would prob give you other choices. Lucha watchers might suggest Atlantis vs La Sombra. BOLA watchers might say something else.

• Like 1

I think the Ironman match was the best of the NXT Woman's matches. It edge the first Bayley/Sasha match slightly. That match was as close to perfect as possible, and this match saw psychology built from that match -- reversals and counters, Bayley going after Sasha's hand, etc. -- and some of the best heel work we'll ever see. I'm also really partial to the Ironman gimmick.

Sasha/Becky was really great in-ring storytelling. But I'm nowhere near as attached to Becky as a character as I am to Bayley. That match was absurdly great arm work. But Bayley/Sasha was a two-year clash between mirror images of each other representing good and evil.

• Like 1

Just catching up after missing it for perfectly valid reasons (cough honeymoon). As someone who usually just watches the specials, it's pretty damn weird seeing Devitt where he's not all gimmicked up... even as himself, that entrance just screams "superstar."

This entire show was excellent. Everyone looked good but the women really stood out... as everyone else said, Asuka looked great but it wasn't a carry job by any stretch of the imagination. Dana looked good with what she had to do and definitely has potential going forward. As for the main, it was tremendous, perfectly timed storytelling but depressing at the same time... because the main stage will NEVER provide that quantity and quality. Seriously, do you have any faith in the WWE to successfully mine the NXT women for what makes them what they are there?

NXT watchers would suggest the last two Takeover women's matches?

So, NXT should be treated as a separate company for awards consideration?

I do enjoy when Mark can't hide his hate of the NXT hype

Just catching up after missing it for perfectly valid reasons (cough honeymoon). As someone who usually just watches the specials, it's pretty damn weird seeing Devitt where he's not all gimmicked up... even as himself, that entrance just screams "superstar."

This entire show was excellent. Everyone looked good but the women really stood out... as everyone else said, Asuka looked great but it wasn't a carry job by any stretch of the imagination. Dana looked good with what she had to do and definitely has potential going forward. As for the main, it was tremendous, perfectly timed storytelling but depressing at the same time... because the main stage will NEVER provide that quantity and quality. Seriously, do you have any faith in the WWE to successfully mine the NXT women for what makes them what they are there?

No faith what so ever, while watching my wife and I wanted Sasha to win just so it would mean she would at least somewhat get to stay in NXT for a while longer, we love the NXT women and hate what the main roster storylines are for women. It's crazy how NXT and TNA have shown that if you treat women like wrestlers and give them wrestling storylines they get over like crazy but for some reason Raw is stuck with women are complaining about who the others are sleeping with, have no direction, and turn between heel and face randomly. Oh and the crowd is always super hot for Sasha but they hardly ever put her on Raw, its frustrating as hell, as most of Raw is (and I only watch the 90 min version on Hulu I feel for those who have to work your way through a 3 hour version, ff'ing or not)