DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: RESPECT

RIPPA

Unholy Dragon pretty much explained why Sami Zayn and Bayley resonate with me. They never actually stoop to taking shortcuts. Sasha did it and it worked for her, so she can't believe that other people can do things the right way. To her, the idea is a mere fairy tale. 

For Bayley to be that happy-go-lucky "just glad to be here" character and to grow over the last couple of years from that into someone who wanted to be more than just glad to be here, but to be champion, and for her to find a way to become better as a performer and a person instead of taking the cheap and easy out of cheating, cheapshotting, and being a dick like so many other people do is fucking inspirational. It's what I wish would happen more in real life. It's so gratifying to see that hard work, self-awareness, and a commitment to hard work and personal growth CAN make your dreams come true. This was even better than Sami not using the chair on Neville when he had the chance in some ways. 

Bayley and Sami should never turn heel ever. They occupy the same sort of spot that Daniel Bryan did as a face because crowds actually do want to see pure babyfaces win in a world of morally-ambiguous tweeners and outwardly-douchebaggy heels. The ordinary, everyday genuinely good person has replaced the Nietzschean superman of the '80s or the anti-heroic rebel of the '90s and '00s as the type of babyface that fans want at this point, IMO. 

That's why so many people (myself included) love Cena as well, he's truly inspirational and a pillar of strength and class for the world and youth of today. 

Cena is a moralizing bully who taunts his opponents with ableist slurs and gestures around like he is one of the kids or nerdy kids that are his fans. Cena probably was the lovable jock that was still an asshole and had the perfect humor. Cena was the guy who cracked jokes and was super popular and everyone thinks is nice, but is actually a disingenuous asshole who obfuscates points against him with being an "inspiration" to kids or being an over patriotic idiot. He was never like Bayley, Sami Zayn, or Daniel Bryan. He is Western society's ideal: a buff white boy with a Superman jaw who listens to cheesy rap music and gets celebrated for it and surrounds himself with muscle cars and lives in an obscene mansion. He is no Sami or Bayley. Cena is a pompous asshat and smiles in front of cameras while picking on everyone beneath him while mantra-ing on about 'respect.'. Cena is Bo Dallas without the exaggeration. I look at Cena and say,"Fuck that corny asshole." I see Bayley and Sami as a hell of a lot more genuine babyfaces than Cena who is only a 'babyface' if you ignore all of the fuckery he has pulled over the years post-Doctor of Thuganomics.

Cena the wrestler and ring story teller is awesome. Cena the character is pretty much the embodiment of everything wrong with WWE creative in the last decade.

John-Cena-Shock-to-Smile.gif

• Like 2

Since I'm at work, question.  Was Asuka (or Nia Jax for that matter) out on stage after the show.  I casually looked and didn't see them.

It doesnt appear so but looking at it right now (to the best of my abilities) - it appears that the only people who worked the show who came out where Balor, Joe and Breeze

Everyone else is in their fancy clothes

I thought I remember seeing Jordan, Gable on Rhyno.  I'm almost positive I saw Jordan because I think I saw him crying.  (I could be drunk right now, don't tell anyone)

Jordan and Crews definitely were there

CQ4OD4LWEAA6Zxs.png

This was the first time I’ve seen Asuka, really good showcase debut with the best ever usage of “You Fucked Up” in her match with Dana as Dana;s disrespectful tapping on the top of Asuka’s head. Bonus marks for Asuka using one of my favourite ever submissions, the Cross Face Chicken Wing as the finish.

That's one of her 30 or so submission finishers.  I think I've actually seen her win a match with a bulldog choke.

• Like 1

Poor Sasha she has that "I'm going to the main roster full time" look on her face.

I loved that Sasha didn't get a clean win over Bayley. She got the eye poke roll up, and a count out after throwing her into a video screen. I think that Sasha not being able to pin Bayley clean put her over more than anything.

This was the first time I’ve seen Asuka, really good showcase debut with the best ever usage of “You Fucked Up” in her match with Dana as Dana;s disrespectful tapping on the top of Asuka’s head. Bonus marks for Asuka using one of my favourite ever submissions, the Cross Face Chicken Wing as the finish.

That's one of her 30 or so submission finishers. I think I've actually seen her win a match with a bulldog choke.

Shit, I don't even know what a bulldog choke is!

Dana brings the trashy hotness AND has improved a bunch in a short amount of time.  It's crazy that some people are still hating on her.

Almost as crazy as the people who still hate on Corbin.  Who would have thought the guy who did nothing but squashes for a year is a REALLY good WWE big match worker.  Small sample size, sure, but the Joe match was super underrated around here.  Both of the tag tourney matches were solid.  The first one was my favorite match of the night.  He seems to be a solid base who has found that sweet spot where he is selling, but not too much for a guy his size....... + his finisher is still super cool.  Seems to be stronger than he looks as well.

• Like 2

It's been brought up a couple times.  The grey hair dye job is a new thing that's gained some traction. It's not so much "What was Dana thinking?"  as much as it's just her following a trend. I don't really like it either but I guess some people do.

I think she's doing what Sheamus is doing with his new look, intentionally look absurd for heel heat.

I think people also discount the "looking different to stand out" aspect too

But yeah - the gray hair thing has been a fashion "trend" for a little bit. I don't know why.

But I am also old and the world has passed me by

That's one of her 30 or so submission finishers. I think I've actually seen her win a match with a bulldog choke.

Shit, I don't even know what a bulldog choke is!

Raquel%2BPennington%2BChockes%2BOut%2BAs

• Like 1

Dana brings the trashy hotness AND has improved a bunch in a short amount of time.  It's crazy that some people are still hating on her.

Almost as crazy as the people who still hate on Corbin.  Who would have thought the guy who did nothing but squashes for a year is a REALLY good WWE big match worker.  Small sample size, sure, but the Joe match was super underrated around here.  Both of the tag tourney matches were solid.  The first one was my favorite match of the night.  He seems to be a solid base who has found that sweet spot where he is selling, but not too much for a guy his size....... + his finisher is still super cool.  Seems to be stronger than he looks as well.

Really, the only complaint I have left for Dana is the arm pit, arm stroke, stripper hips, tongue out, over and over again. Past that, she's getting better and better every time I see her work.

The only thing she seems to be making a conscious decision to do that I don't care for is her handstand-based offense, the choke in the corner and the...armpit drop? They both have looked completely non-hurty each and every time she's done them.

• Like 1