DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER: RESPECT

RIPPA

I don't know what it is but Emma's gloves really weird me out. I've always though Seth's gloves were kinda weird, but Emma's take it to another level.

lol They're the half hand gloves. They've been around for a little while now. 

Seth's have been bothering me longer, because they're just so PLAIN.  (I associate plain black gloves with mental disorders for reasons I won't go into)  Have SOME kind of decoration on 'em, your logo or SOMETHING

I don't know what it is but Emma's gloves really weird me out. I've always though Seth's gloves were kinda weird, but Emma's take it to another level.

lol They're the half hand gloves. They've been around for a little while now. 

She shouldn't be taking fashion advice from Corey Feldman.

960.jpg

• Like 1

Since I'm at work, question.  Was Asuka (or Nia Jax for that matter) out on stage after the show.  I casually looked and didn't see them.

It doesnt appear so but looking at it right now (to the best of my abilities) - it appears that the only people who worked the show who came out where Balor, Joe and Breeze

Everyone else is in their fancy clothes

The two NXT Takeovers ive watched live were Boston and Respect and it could just be me (and i apologise if someone mentioned it) but i think last nights event deserved a bigger scale, i think all the Takeovers deserve a bigger venue,effects,entrances,packages etc.

Im not saying that they need to be in places like the Barclays center for all of them and dont get me wrong the Full Sail crowd are great and have been there for a long,long time but i feel like the Takeovers have "outgrown" Full Sail.

• Like 1

Since I'm at work, question.  Was Asuka (or Nia Jax for that matter) out on stage after the show.  I casually looked and didn't see them.

It doesnt appear so but looking at it right now (to the best of my abilities) - it appears that the only people who worked the show who came out where Balor, Joe and Breeze

I thought I remember seeing Jordan, Gable on Rhyno.  I'm almost positive I saw Jordan because I think I saw him crying.  (I could be drunk right now, don't tell anyone)

I understand that the women's match being the headliner/main event was a big deal and all, but I kind of felt like the flowers and the whole locker room being out at the end to applaud them and that whole thing was kind of patronizing to them and a bit over the top.

I thought they lifted it from Japan. That's what happens after a big match.

Unholy Dragon pretty much explained why Sami Zayn and Bayley resonate with me. They never actually stoop to taking shortcuts. Sasha did it and it worked for her, so she can't believe that other people can do things the right way. To her, the idea is a mere fairy tale. 

For Bayley to be that happy-go-lucky "just glad to be here" character and to grow over the last couple of years from that into someone who wanted to be more than just glad to be here, but to be champion, and for her to find a way to become better as a performer and a person instead of taking the cheap and easy out of cheating, cheapshotting, and being a dick like so many other people do is fucking inspirational. It's what I wish would happen more in real life. It's so gratifying to see that hard work, self-awareness, and a commitment to hard work and personal growth CAN make your dreams come true. This was even better than Sami not using the chair on Neville when he had the chance in some ways. 

Bayley and Sami should never turn heel ever. They occupy the same sort of spot that Daniel Bryan did as a face because crowds actually do want to see pure babyfaces win in a world of morally-ambiguous tweeners and outwardly-douchebaggy heels. The ordinary, everyday genuinely good person has replaced the Nietzschean superman of the '80s or the anti-heroic rebel of the '90s and '00s as the type of babyface that fans want at this point, IMO. 

That's why so many people (myself included) love Cena as well, he's truly inspirational and a pillar of strength and class for the world and youth of today. 

Cena is a moralizing bully who taunts his opponents with ableist slurs and gestures around like he is one of the kids or nerdy kids that are his fans. Cena probably was the lovable jock that was still an asshole and had the perfect humor. Cena was the guy who cracked jokes and was super popular and everyone thinks is nice, but is actually a disingenuous asshole who obfuscates points against him with being an "inspiration" to kids or being an over patriotic idiot. He was never like Bayley, Sami Zayn, or Daniel Bryan. He is Western society's ideal: a buff white boy with a Superman jaw who listens to cheesy rap music and gets celebrated for it and surrounds himself with muscle cars and lives in an obscene mansion. He is no Sami or Bayley. Cena is a pompous asshat and smiles in front of cameras while picking on everyone beneath him while mantra-ing on about 'respect.'. Cena is Bo Dallas without the exaggeration. I look at Cena and say,"Fuck that corny asshole." I see Bayley and Sami as a hell of a lot more genuine babyfaces than Cena who is only a 'babyface' if you ignore all of the fuckery he has pulled over the years post-Doctor of Thuganomics.

Cena the wrestler and ring story teller is awesome. Cena the character is pretty much the embodiment of everything wrong with WWE creative in the last decade.

• Like 4

Incredible show top to bottom. We're close enough to the end of the year to hand out a Pass or Fail grade to NXT. If all they were tasked with doing was to produce a good show once a week, I think we can all agree that they came through like champs in that aspect. However, the real mission is to develop the stars of the future, how did they do? Well, after this show it's pretty clear that Bayley and Sami are the best pure babyfaces since surfer Sting, and that's pretty high praise. Sasha and Kevin Owens are the best old-school heels since Super Dragon and you don't get much better than that. Then at Takeover we learned that Gogo Yubari had a baby sister, who grew up to be a wrestler; or perhaps the Japanese cloning experiments I've heard of are progressing better than anyone thought; I just didn't realize that Akira Hokuto had donated DNA to the project. For those unobservant souls criticizing Balor's selling of the knee injury, I really don't know what the man could have done to more firmly cement the concept that he had an injured leg, short of working the match while riding a Rascal. Seriously, the sort of people that don't like Finn Balor are the types that (a.) routinely soil themselves, (b.) get fashion tips from Scott Keith (c.) go to the park to poison pigeons (d.) all of the above.

• Like 3

Unholy Dragon pretty much explained why Sami Zayn and Bayley resonate with me. They never actually stoop to taking shortcuts. Sasha did it and it worked for her, so she can't believe that other people can do things the right way. To her, the idea is a mere fairy tale. 

For Bayley to be that happy-go-lucky "just glad to be here" character and to grow over the last couple of years from that into someone who wanted to be more than just glad to be here, but to be champion, and for her to find a way to become better as a performer and a person instead of taking the cheap and easy out of cheating, cheapshotting, and being a dick like so many other people do is fucking inspirational. It's what I wish would happen more in real life. It's so gratifying to see that hard work, self-awareness, and a commitment to hard work and personal growth CAN make your dreams come true. This was even better than Sami not using the chair on Neville when he had the chance in some ways. 

Bayley and Sami should never turn heel ever. They occupy the same sort of spot that Daniel Bryan did as a face because crowds actually do want to see pure babyfaces win in a world of morally-ambiguous tweeners and outwardly-douchebaggy heels. The ordinary, everyday genuinely good person has replaced the Nietzschean superman of the '80s or the anti-heroic rebel of the '90s and '00s as the type of babyface that fans want at this point, IMO. 

That's why so many people (myself included) love Cena as well, he's truly inspirational and a pillar of strength and class for the world and youth of today. 

Cena is a moralizing bully who taunts his opponents with ableist slurs and gestures around like he is one of the kids or nerdy kids that are his fans. Cena probably was the lovable jock that was still an asshole and had the perfect humor. Cena was the guy who cracked jokes and was super popular and everyone thinks is nice, but is actually a disingenuous asshole who obfuscates points against him with being an "inspiration" to kids or being an over patriotic idiot. He was never like Bayley, Sami Zayn, or Daniel Bryan. He is Western society's ideal: a buff white boy with a Superman jaw who listens to cheesy rap music and gets celebrated for it and surrounds himself with muscle cars and lives in an obscene mansion. He is no Sami or Bayley. Cena is a pompous asshat and smiles in front of cameras while picking on everyone beneath him while mantra-ing on about 'respect.'. Cena is Bo Dallas without the exaggeration. I look at Cena and say,"Fuck that corny asshole." I see Bayley and Sami as a hell of a lot more genuine babyfaces than Cena who is only a 'babyface' if you ignore all of the fuckery he has pulled over the years post-Doctor of Thuganomics.

Cena the wrestler and ring story teller is awesome. Cena the character is pretty much the embodiment of everything wrong with WWE creative in the last decade.

I'm sorry you hate kids with cancer.  And the troops.

• Like 1

I finally got to watch the entire show.

Goddamn.

When wrestling is good, there really isn't a better form of theater. Un-goddamn-believable.

Can we all get together now and plan the DVDVR Christmas card we're should damn well send Triple H.

Sasha Banks is wrestler of the year or I riot.

• Like 3

Thoughts.

Asuka is the best wrestler in WWE.

Sasha/Bayley was awesome. Probably on par with the match from Takeover:Brooklyn. Post match stuff was incredible. Reminded me of an Arena Mexico Anniversary Show main event.

Post match stuff for the tag tournament final was good.

Rest was okay.

Enjoyable show.

After watching the Asuka/Dana Brooke/Emma backstage video, I would hate to be the wrestler in the back trying to date her.   Not because she isn't attractive but man if you mess with her it is clear she is going to treat you like Ryhno treats a potted plant when angry.

Well, this is Tajiri telling her that she's "a woman passed her expiration date" (1:30 seconds in):

Seriously, the sort of people that don't like Finn Balor are the types that (a.) routinely soil themselves, (b.) get fashion tips from Scott Keith (c.) go to the park to poison pigeons (d.) all of the above.

You leave my IBS diagnosis out of this!

Late to the party as I met a good friend yesterday. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks had big expectations I’d say mostly down to the NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn match they had in August. The Iron Man match they had here was great. I particularly liked how both were going for quick pinning combinations at the start to get the first score on the board, Banks throwing Bayley into the steel steps followed by the graphics screen to get a countout decision, Banks taunting of Izzy and the closing moments. Not sure whether I preferred this match or the Brooklyn match. How about you?

This was the first time I’ve seen Asuka, really good showcase debut with the best ever usage of “You Fucked Up” in her match with Dana as Dana;s disrespectful tapping on the top of Asuka’s head. Bonus marks for Asuka using one of my favourite ever submissions, the Cross Face Chicken Wing as the finish.

I heard Athena was in the crowd somewhere.