DVDVR Message Board

NHL - 2015/16 - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

Great article on the Detroit Red Wings' legendary 1989 draft that netted them two Hall of Famers (Lidstrom and Fedorov), a third who would have been (Vladdy Konstantinov), and 2 others who played 1000 games in the NHL (Mike Sillinger and Dallas Drake).  And, oh yeah, almost Pavel Bure.

Great stuff.

Few questions for you guys:

Want to get some cheap jerseys, particularly an Eichel and Reinhart home one and throwback Whalers ones for Ron Francis, Kevin Dineen and WHA New England Whalers plain or Gordie Howe. Also looking for Hasek (either traditional or red and black goats head one) or LaFontaine (ditto). Anyone know of a good place they can recommend?

Also looking for some good books. Love some good history books or biographies but any good hockey reads you folks could recommend would be great.

Define cheap. If you don't care about it being a mediocre quality bootleg, there's lots of Chinese Web sites. After that, eBay is your best bet for legit jerseys. Other than that, cheap legit jerseys are very rare.

Want to get some cheap jerseys, particularly an Eichel and Reinhart home one and throwback Whalers ones for Ron Francis, Kevin Dineen and WHA New England Whalers plain or Gordie Howe. Also looking for Hasek (either traditional or red and black goats head one) or LaFontaine (ditto). Anyone know of a good place they can recommend?

Also looking for some good books. Love some good history books or biographies but any good hockey reads you folks could recommend would be great.

Wyshnski's book came out last week. Easy kind of bathroom book with short quick chapters.

Define cheap. If you don't care about it being a mediocre quality bootleg, there's lots of Chinese Web sites. After that, eBay is your best bet for legit jerseys. Other than that, cheap legit jerseys are very rare.

Looking more along the lines of the Chinese sites. Did get a bootleg Giroux jersey several years back and the quality was better than the official Reebok replica my mom bought me for Christmas. Wish I could remember the place I got it from. Someone recommended aliedexpress. They any good?

Don't know if its still around, but I used to use tarajersey for cheap jerseys. The only hockey jersey I got was a 2010 Team Canada Toews which was really nice, even has the fight strap. Mostly used it for football jerseys, other than the fine stitching on the NFL logo, you'd be hard pressed to even tell they're knockoffs. Haven't bought anything in a few years tho.

Since I'm feeling listicle, I've used it to get a Packers Rodgers home, Packers Woodson road, Buccaneers throwback creamsicle LeGarrette Blount and a Houston Oilers Warren Moon home (which is fucking gorgeous, far and away the nicest quality wise).

Looking more along the lines of the Chinese sites. Did get a bootleg Giroux jersey several years back and the quality was better than the official Reebok replica my mom bought me for Christmas. Wish I could remember the place I got it from. Someone recommended aliedexpress. They any good?
Aliexpress is hit & miss because they're really just a portal for different sellers. It all depends on who you get.

I can't say anything from personal experience as they aren't allowed to sell to people in Washington state.

Wyshnski's book came out last week. Easy kind of bathroom book with short quick chapters.
Just put it on my list, looks interesting. The most recent Don Cherry books are also on it. Funny enough the one sports book that's at the top of my list is the one that just came out on the history of the Expos. Did you know their first and last games were both played in the same place (Shea Stadium)?

So I think we are rapidly approaching the point where we can declare the 2012 draft class "just one of those tough years". With Ryan Murray becoming a healthy scratch tonight the number of unquestionably good players in that first round is remarkably thin. There just isn't a ton of star pop in this 1st round, it's more a draft about finding "good players" a lot of long term 2nd D pair, 2nd line, kind of guys.

1- Nail Yakupov, EDM

Listen, Yakupov really is a great kid. He cares, he works hard, he's good in the community, all that. He's not the next Alex Mogilny or whatever, though. He's just not that. He really needs to do something during this stretch with McDavid out to prove he is more than a support player to his critics. Now, I think he can be a very good support player, but that's not what you really look like at #1. If he'd been a 3 or 4 pick in a different year, he wouldn't take half the heat he does, but he's the guy that got burdened with #1 overall and will never shake that. He's a player with value but unless he does something remarkable, soon, the idea of him as a franchise talent seems awfully doubtful. He is absolutely magic with McDavid though, the combination of their speed is virtually indefensible.

2- Ryan Murray, CBJ

Hasn't really done anything yet. Is being made a healthy scratch for the first time tonight. It's pretty clear if he actually is an elite defenseman he's taking the long road to get there, but honesty I'm not sure I've read 100 words of hype put at him since he was picked. Talk of him as a possible #1 overall frankly looks laughable at this point.

3- Alex Galchenyuk, MTL

In hindsight, a great pick, but let's not pretend this wasn't a really controversial pick when it was made. Galchenyuk basically didn't play his draft year with a knee injury, though this isn't 1986 and a knee injury really doesn't mean shit for ruining your career young anymore except in an exceptional circumstance. But it did leave him very hard to evaluate in a draft year. Remember that central scouting had him ranked behind Mikael Grigorenko going into this draft. Also, Montreal were knocked because he's another small guy on a team of small guys. But, he's proven thus far to be a solid NHL player and one of the better picks. Even then, it's not clear he's actually a first line forward, and he could be more of a "really good second line guy". Time will tell.

4- Griffin Reinhart. NYI

One of the best things about the "Oilers shouldn't have taken Yakupov" theory is the lead rumor that floated from multiple sources at the draft was the #1 alternative was to trade down and pick Reinhart. Well, he's on the Oilers now. So is Yakupov. Anyway, Reinhart is probably more like a 5-6 defenseman right now with possible 3-4 upside than any sort of stud (Klefbom and Nurse are clearly on a totally different level). Could be a solid NHL player, but he's nothing special and the jury's still out on exactly what role he'll fill. He isn't quick, but he's not a dummy which you really need if you don't have speed. My projection is a decent third pairing NHL D if you're a winning team, not a star, but a guy you like in that place.

5- Morgan Reilly, TOR

Cursed by being made a Maple Leaf. Maybe he overcomes this someday but right now I see more hype than substance as far as talk of being a franchise defenseman goes. Clearly a solid player though. I need to see more of him on a team where he actually has a chance to succeed so I'll give him time. There's just enough here that everyone needs to be patient through this Leafs rebuild to see what he is.

6- Hamphus Lindholm, ANH

Anaheim have started like ass this year but I think most people assume this is a mirage considering Anaheim have been basically an annual contender in recent times. And quietly, this is one of the better picks in this draft. Lindholm is already a 3-4 D with possible 1-2 upside, who also sees time on a first power play unit. Get this, yet another solid young Swedish defensemen. Lidstrom wais to Swedish defense at Patrick Roy was to Canadian goaltending "it's cool let's do that". Conceivable we look back in a decade and he's the best defenseman in his draft class.

7- Matt Dumba, MIN

Okay player. Plays on an interesting pair in Minnesota with Jonas Brodin. I don't think anyone really thinks he's a #1 defenseman but he's a solid NHL D that will have a long and respectable career.

8- Derrick Pulliot, PIT

Yet to establish himself as a NHL regular. 21 year old defenseman so that's not panic worthy, but he's not some kind of steal at #8. Hell, he's not the best defenseman Pittsburgh took in round 1 of this draft if we pick today.

9- Jacob Trouba, WIN

Good player. I'm not really sure if he ends up as a 1-2 or a 3-4 but he's good. Seems pretty popular with Winnipeg's fanbase.

10- Slater Koekkoek - TBL

He's just really on the fringe of breaking in to a NHL now. Not enough to evaluate yet. He's not, like, another Victor Hedman or something, though I don't really think anyone thought he was. He was part of this really huge run of D at the top of the draft where people passed on Olli Maatta and no one really knows why.

11- Filip Forsberg, WAS

In hindsight, an absolute steal at 11. Washington promptly traded him to Nashville for Martin Erat before he made it to the NHL, in (a trade I said I liked at the time) what may yet go down as one of the worst trades of the decade. Established 1st line player on admittedly a team that isn't an offensive juggernaut, but he's the real deal. Considering he was the #1 player on Central Scouting's board playing in Europe, and that he's establishing himself as a young star, should have been a top 5 pick at worst.

12- Mikhail Grigorenko, BUF

I think the less we talk about this pick the better. The scouts that liked him as a top level A-prospect were wrong. Let's move on.

13- Radek Faksa, DAL

Has this dude even played in the NHL yet? I don't think I have anything to even evaluate here.

14- Zemgus Girgensons, BUF

The all star ballot box jamming joke aside, he's an okay young player. Probably a third line NHL C in the long run, not really a scorer. Solid player who will contribute to your cause but I don't think he's a star. Best name in the draft.

15- Cody Ceci, OTT

Not a bad player. Establishing himself as a NHL regular. Not a #1 defenseman or some sort of complete steal.

16- Tom Wilson, WAS

Let's just move on from Washington and how they evaluated this draft class.

17- Tomas Hertl, SJS

I don't even try and hide that I'm a huge Hertl fan and that I think he should have been in the top 10 in this class because he's one of the few guys in this first round I think can actually be a long term star and more than just a solid guy. To review: he was fantastic as a rookie, hurt his knee. Had a bad second season but a lot of guys do that. Now the jury is sort of out. But I just can't see how it doesn't come together. He's big, he's strong, he's quick, he's creative, he's also willing to go to the dirty spots in front of the net and into the corners. I see a guy in the Marian Hossa or Jakub Voracek mold here at the top of his potential ladder. I really hope I'm right because those kind of players enhance the NHL with their presence. If I'm wrong he's still going to be a NHL regular for years unless he's just a totally bizarre mirage, but I just can't accept that. There's too much here that I like.

18- Teuvo Teravainen, CHI

Goddamn you Chicago. Goddamn you all to hell with your "good players". By NHL standards I guess he's a WEE MAN, but this could be the year he steps up and makes a name for himself. I think he's a second line guy for years.

19- Andrei Vasilevski, TBL

He's a backup to Ben Bishop. Coming into this year 34 NHL games, 2.3.6 GAA, .918 sv%. I've given up evaluating goalies until they are 25.

20- Scott Laughton - PHI

Yet to do much. Has played like 30-something NHL games, has 2 goals. He's just a guy.

21- Mark Jankowski - CGY

lol

22- Olli Maatta, PIT

So, this was weird. All the scouts liked him. A lot of people had him as a fringe top 10 pick, or top 15. Then he fell to 22. I've never really heard why, no one knows. He seems like a pretty solid young prospect. Probably a long term 3-4 if he develops. I like him, I'd be happy if he was in my system.

After this the draft is "just a bunch of guys", and Malcolm Subban who is a young goalie I won't bother trying to say something useful about yet because there's nothing to evaluate yet get back to me when he's 25.

2012: The draft class of "well, he's okay" but not really a lot of pop there.

Trouba is awesome and has boatloads of talent, but he's sort of the classic young defenseman who's not really going to put it all together until he gets a few more years in, too many mental mistakes. But I think a lot of people still expect that he'll one day be captain of the team once the Ladd/Little/Wheeler/Buff core is done.

Who the hell knows though, young defensemen aren't as hard to predict as goaltenders, but they can still be all over the place. I might look back on this post in five years and weep bitter tears.

Trouba is so intriguing because he's not just a guy that threatens big hits, he actually has some points by young NHL defense standards. He really seems like a guy that at worst is going to be pretty good. If he winds up GETTING SMART he's got a really high ceiling for sure.

Anyway, I think it's really striking that other than Forsberg, there isn't one forward in that first round you can say with absolute certainty is a projected first line guy. Such a strange draft class with how overloaded on depth defenseman it is.

Trouba is awesome and has boatloads of talent, but he's sort of the classic young defenseman who's not really going to put it all together until he gets a few more years in, too many mental mistakes. But I think a lot of people still expect that he'll one day be captain of the team once the Ladd/Little/Wheeler/Buff core is done.

Who the hell knows though, young defensemen aren't as hard to predict as goaltenders, but they can still be all over the place. I might look back on this post in five years and weep bitter tears.

Yeah, Chris Pronger is kind of the poster child here. He was heavily hyped as a young player and was...awful. For awhile. Then he got really, really good. Seemed like it happened overnight. Not every young defenseman can be Nick Lidstrom and be great from day one in the NHL.

Unsurprisingly, Detroit hasn't yet gotten much from their 2012 draft. Only one guy has made the NHL so far - Andreas Athanasiou. And he JUST came up. Has played 2 games, scoring the game winner against Washington Tuesday night. Not sure how much offensive skill he's got but can FLY. With Larkin and Darren Helm, he gives Detroit three world-class skaters up front (at least).

Morgan Rielly seems to be progressing nicely all things considered. He's a magnificent skater and is starting to put up points consistently on a rather offensively starved Leafs team but the big question mark is his defensive play which still has a ways to go. Babcock seems real excited by him but yeah, as with a lot of guys in this draft, there's still more questions than answers at this point. He's definitely one of the few bright points on this years Leafs which is admittedly pretty faint praise.

My friend summed up the Penguins as Crosby, Malkin and last year's Sabres. I actually feel kinda sorry for those two because they are wasting the prime of their careers there.