DVDVR Message Board

NHL - 2015/16 - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

Aaaaaaaaaaand we're off:

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Told that after 1st period Tortorella told Johansen that he's not in shape. Center then got 4 shifts in 3rd. #Predictable #Torts

He's basically Mike Keenan v2.0 at this point: go into a bad situation, pick somebody out and make an example out of them. It's sad that he's basically become a parody of himself at this point because he was a very good coach (they don't hand out Stanley Cups to guys who can't coach).

Great game between the Red Wings and Flames tonight! Nice to see the Flames looking like the Flames from last year, rather than the New Oilers.

And Giordano is looking like he's back to Norris-contender form. It's only one game, but hopefully both trends continue.

Chad Johnson does not belong in the NHL. The people who hate Tim Murray are probably laughing how he decided we didn't need a professional backup in case our new goalie got hurt (which everyone knew would happen given the guy's history).

Chad Johnson does not belong in the NHL. The people who hate Tim Murray are probably laughing how he decided we didn't need a professional backup in case our new goalie got hurt (which everyone knew would happen given the guy's history).

I kind of figured that Buffalo would trade for one of Calgary's goalies (Ramo is in the AHL right now). Lousy start to the season aside, he would be a very solid back-up and would be good even in a 1A/1B role. And the Flames could obviously stand to lose him. A bit expensive for a back-up, though, I guess.

Two straight 3-on-3 overtime games for Detroit, a bad loss against Calgary and a comeback win against Vancouver. The winner against Vancouver came on a breakaway setup by a gorgeous long pass from goalie Petr Mrazek. Great win, bad effort. Detroit looks sloppy and careless early on this year. Only unbelievable goaltending has kept them in their games.

Not sure I like the 3-on-3 yet but it sure is a lot better than what we had before.

3 on 3 is so entertaining. I just can't swallow an argument against it in an era where we willfully accept goalies wearing umbrellas on their hands in place of a goalie glove.

We need something to counteract this villainy.

That whole last shift was so great. Mrazek's pass was the highlight.

• Like 1

3 on 3 is so entertaining. I just can't swallow an argument against it in an era where we willfully accept goalies wearing umbrellas on their hands in place of a goalie glove.

Make it 10 minutes and if nobody scores we call it a draw and go home.

That's my idea as well.

Mostly, though, I want the nets to be bigger.

I think that's a really good idea, and one that might actually be somewhat realistic, since it should please almost everyone. It's a step in the right direction for the traditionalists who hate the shootout. For those who want don't like draws and want exciting/dramatic finishes, 3 on 3 also does that - from what we've seen of 3 on 3 so far, I can't imagine there are many people who would think the shootout is more exciting, and I can't imagine that many games ending in draws after 10 minutes of that sort of action. The only people who might oppose it are those who really love the shootout (whoever they are) and those who irrationally hate draws and want to avoid them at all costs. But I say fuck 'em!

Jesus fuck the NHL is still clinging to this embarrassing "the whole glove is in the net, the puck is in the glove, but we can't see the puck so no goal" horse shit?

What elementary school do these people drop out of? Like how can you live in a three dimensional world and justify being this dumb? There are calculators that can solve this riddle unassisted.

My favorite part about going to an NHL game featuring a Canadian team: getting angry glares fron xenophobic meatheads for singing along with the Canadian anthem.