DVDVR Message Board

NHL - 2015/16 - Period 1

Dolfan in NYC

I'm a bit biased, but I wouldn't say the Jets took over after the second. The Jets were a bit better in the last two periods, and got progressively stronger as the game went on, but there were times when both teams carried the play, and it was pretty back and forth in terms of chances.

Frustrating game for Ramo. He made several really good saves to keep it even when the Jets started turning it on, only to shit the bed with a minute left on a no-angle shot from Byfuglien. I was really enjoying the game to that point, but that was pretty anticlimatic.

Big game for the Flames tonight. I never want to see them lose to the Oilers, but I really don't want to see them start the season 1-4.

They are so strong up the middle and I think people around the league are just going to realize how special a player Bjugstad is this season. I hate the Panthers' ownership and the team has been run so poorly for so long but I feel for you few diehard hockey fans in Miami as it's been such a rough ride. You deserve the upcoming resurgence!

Just proves how much strong ownership means to a team.  The ghost of Harold Ballard will haunt Toronto until the end of time

I'll take 4 out of 4 points on back to back nights by any means of dark magic, considering I think the Oilers were something like 1 for 11 on that second game last season.

The Oilers have some goaltending this is a frightening new world. How Daniel Sedin missed that empty net I'll never know though.

Fuck Ryan Miller.

• Like 1

In the battle of the off-to-fast-start rookies, Detroit (and Dylan Larkin) took on Edmonton (and Connor McDavid) last night. Edmonton looked really good - sharp, aggressive, and vastly improved over the last few years. McDavid looked very good, abusing Brad Richards before making a fantastic move in front to score a pretty goal (his first home goal ever). Larkin was much quieter but played well and had a fabulous breakaway pass to set up Justin Abdelkader. Abby, in keeping with the theme of the night for Detroit, missed the net with his shot. Detroit missed the net a ton, with a flat 40 minutes burying them in a 3-0 hole they couldn't dig out of. Good effort from Edmonton, bad effort from Detroit.

Something to keep an eye on: Detroit has had, I believe, 5 too-many-men penalties already this season. Their power play looks disorganized, with guys seemingly afraid to shoot (other than Teemu Pulkkinen). Those both speak to coaching...

For some reason I repeatedly forget Brad Richards is still in the NHL, and I don't know why. Like, multiple times last year I was surprised to discover he was on the Blackhawks, and I had no idea he was on the Red Wings. I have no explanation for this mental block, it's not like he's ever done anything I dislike. Hell, he helped deny Calgary a Stanley Cup so he's in my good books.

Abdelkader missing the net on a breakaway last night kind of summed up Detroit, but it had been years since we've beaten them so I'm taking that one all day. Fayne and Sekera had a really shaky start to the year but seem to be coming to grips with each other a bit better as a second pair, which helps a lot.

McDavid's skating is just something else. I know people rave about him constantly and he's going to get the Sid Crosby overexposure hatred in pretty much every non-Edmonton market, but it's just remarkable the way he seems to glide around NHL defensemen. He might be legit one of the three best skaters in the NHL and he just got here.

Yeah, he's a better skater than I was expecting. So is Larkin, for what it's worth. It was definitely easy to see why everybody raves about McDavid* from watching him last night, that's for sure.

Brad Richards has been awful thus far for Detroit. He's already been demoted from the 2nd line and he just looks lost and slow.

* - How I would love to control time a little bit and be able to take McDavid, Crosby, Teemu Selanne, Ovechkin, and Teemu Pulkkinen, and a few others and transport them back to the 1988 NHL. Imagine those guys in the bad-defense-worse-goaltending era...