DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

To be fair to the four letter for a second (ugh) Grantland, as much as I enjoy it's content and think it's fantastic, has been, by all accounts, not overly successful in terms of hits and such, and doubly so on anything not written by Simmons.

Thou I understand what your saying but I think Simmons has brought up a good counter point to the 'not overly successful in terms of hits...' argument by pointing out how ESPN policy prevented him or grantland writers from doing none ESPN media/Podcasts. What better why to get your product to more people but to have your people talking to people who might not normally read or hear about it.

Simmons prob also has a point about not being promoted better by ESPN. Although, there is a "wants it both ways" to his points: wanting promotion and autonomy at the same time.

Those two things aren't really in opposition, though.

Dan Lebatard had a sound of what was supposedly Mike Ditka farting on air on Monday night, and they got Cris Carter and Mike Ditka to come on and get to the bottom of it.  I don't know what you guys find entertaining, but an investigation about whether Mike Ditka is a supplier or a denier is right up my alley.

If it lead to Mike Ditka retiring and going away forever back to his home planet for dumbfucks, I'd be all for the show.

No, Ditka said he didn't supply that one, but if he did he wouldn't be a denier.  Cris Carter said he didn't notice any change of atmosphere, but admits that he can't be 100% certain that it wasn't Ditka.

It feels extremely weird that Deadspin hasn't touched the ESPN layoffs at all. Like, there's been one passing mention that was just a link to a Big Lead story. Strange.

Maybe they're waiting to do a long article with a lot of details?

It feels extremely weird that Deadspin hasn't touched the ESPN layoffs at all. Like, there's been one passing mention that was just a link to a Big Lead story. Strange.

Maybe they're waiting to do a long article with a lot of details?

I feel like they should have at least blockquoted someone else's reporting and added some snarky commentary by now.

Wait...Lebatard's cohost's nickname is "stugotz"?? How did they get that past standards and practices at Bristol???

I was never much of a Cowherd fan.  Sometimes I agreed with him but he was always so obnoxious with his opinions.  But now that LeBatard is in his old time slot, I don't think I've ever heard a worse radio show.  

Wait...Lebatard's cohost's nickname is "stugotz"?? How did they get that past standards and practices at Bristol???

I was never much of a Cowherd fan.  Sometimes I agreed with him but he was always so obnoxious with his opinions.  But now that LeBatard is in his old time slot, I don't think I've ever heard a worse radio show.  

I imagine you take sports far too seriously.  I'm a sports anarchist and for the most part I hate how sports are covered.  I think LeBatard's show is the best sports radio show I've ever heard.  It is basically everything I want from a sports radio show.  Speaking of...listen to the local hour of today's show.  Pablo Torre, who wrote the Pitino 15 second sex story for Sports Illustrated, told all the strange ass details from that story.  I'm now convinced that Rick Pitino is a crazy person, and he's the most sane person in the story.  The woman in the center of the story greets Pablo at the door with an awkward ass hug, and it just rolls downhill from there.  He doesn't tell the 15 second sex story, he just tells all the details surrounding the story and all the crazy people involved and how this woman's entire family are Pitino disciples. 

• Like 3

I think my 3 all time sports radio shows are TK's old ESPN/first WTEM show, Lebatard's show when Hochman was producer and Bob Valvano's overnight ESPN show. All best at mixing sports and non-sports and not takng themselves seriously.

I was never much of a Cowherd fan. Sometimes I agreed with him but he was always so obnoxious with his opinions. But now that LeBatard is in his old time slot, I don't think I've ever heard a worse radio show.

I'm with you. Really, really bad.
  • Like 1

I gotta be real. If Grantland disappeared tomorrow, I'd say, shit, that sucks.

And then I'd read something else.

Except for the NFL podcast. I love that shit. It makes me happy. It's destination listening, like The Champs. Always the first thing I listen to when it posts. So fuck ESPN once again.

DVDVR alum Bill Barnwell, if you still read here, we miss you guys. At least I do.