DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

Some of the arguments that I hear about DraftKings and FanDuel were the same ones people used for PokerStars and Full Tilt.  Hopefully their methods of depositing money and accounts wasn't as stupid and reckless as they were cause that really killed them.  

Frankly I think you could make a better case for poker being a "game of skill" than fantasy football. . . 

Yeah, fantasy football is a game of skill like Russian Roulette is a game of skill.  I'm in a 14 team fantasy league at my job, and I'm certain I know more than at least 12 players in the league.  I'm in 9th place, even though I've scored the 2nd most points.  There is no way whatsoever to play fantasy football skillfully. 

What gets me about the NY ruling is that the attorney general's statement was all 'we are trying to protect citizens!" OH MY GOODNESS, WHY ARE YOU LYING! Just say you want your cut to squander in the name of 'improving' highways and schools.  Just be honest for once, damn.

Where is this guy when we need him?

h6hfXYUtoErj.jpg

• Like 2

What gets me about the NY ruling is that the attorney general's statement was all 'we are trying to protect citizens!" OH MY GOODNESS, WHY ARE YOU LYING! Just say you want your cut to squander in the name of 'improving' highways and schools.  Just be honest for once, damn.

ny is also the state thinking of the children by banning MMA, due mainly to a dispute in Vegas between the Ferittas and the Culinary Union.

Eric Shneiderman is the perfect example of a slimeball megalomaniac politician who should be fired out of a cannon straight into a brick wall. And the scary thing is that the idiots who live in this state will reelect the guy. People like him are the reason I am a Libertarian.

[plug]

In the new episode of the pod, we talk to richard deitsch of SI about the sports media, including co-hosting prime time sports, us v canada sports talk, calls v no calls, grantland, paul heyman, meltzer and the national, blazer con and more.

We also talked Stern Show, since this was an old school stern show tribute. I also talk Stern with Leonard f chikarason, who is going to see Jackie live this weekend.

[/plug]

I consistently lose at dfs football and consistently win at dfs Bball. It is a game of skill.

So is poker. So is sports betting. In all 3 luck and chance are factors to weigh when making a decision.

Is fantasy sports gambling? Of course. Should it be illegal? Of course not.

I don't understand how certain posters here (and a certain AG) say a small % of people win a large % of the money in one breath and say it's all luck in the next. Are those not conflicting ideas?

I don't understand how certain posters here (and a certain AG) say a small % of people win a large % of the money in one breath and say it's all luck in the next. Are those not conflicting ideas?

You do know Las Vegas exists for a reason, right?  

The two big DFS sites really screwed themselves badly by advertising literally on every commercial break during the first month of football, raising the awareness of their shady-as-fuck product, and this is the blowback from it.  The state doesn't give a frog's fat ass what goes on in DFS, they want their cut.  

DK & FD probably don't want to set that sort of precedent (which is their right, hell, they're not legal in NV), so they're fighting a battle they may very well lose. 

• Like 1

It looks like NY will be the battle ground, with both DK and FD filing lawsuits today. What do you think will eventually happen with DFS in NY?

Over here in IL things are going down a different path. There was no initial ruling even though the gaming board asked for one and a new bill is going around that seems to be focused on the right things (regulation, consumer protection etc.)

California has a bill on committee to outlaw them as well.

And I agree. Ours clearly sports gambling, and gambling bring illegal is stupid, but these assholes fucked it all up by becoming so fucking annoying the whole damn country wants to see them die.

NY isn't asking for a cut by declaring it gambling, they are trying to get rid of it. Because if it's sports gambling, it's illegal in New York.

Jersey keeps talking about legalizing sports betting, but it never happens.

Over Illinois and Jersey? That's hard to believe.

The fact that they topped those two states just speaks to how horribly corrupt New York is. It's like there's a new politician indicted in this state every day.

Sometimes I feel we need a sports version of "SavedYouAClick" or something that basically gives you all the sports news of the day in one line tweets so you don't have to read the terrible writing or follow ten billion Twitter accounts.

I see an article on every week showcasing the latest NFL ratings triumph that can basically be broken down to "A lot of people still watch Football"

Looks like, at least on the sports side of content, some of the Grantland guys have started moving over to ESPN.com.  Seen articles from Barnwell, Jonah Keri and Zach Lowe this week all in the typical "Grantland longform".

http://www.si.com/fantasy/2015/11/21/daily-fantasy-sports-lawsuit-nba-draft-kings-fan-duel 

Blood is in the water now, as a whole shit load of people are being sued over their connection to DFS. . .

• The National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball Ventures, National Hockey League Ventures and Major League Soccer
  • The Kraft Group (owned by New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft), Legends Hospitality (co-owned by Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and the New York Yankees), and MSG Sports and Entertainment (owned by New York Knicks owner James Dolan)
  • Turner Sports, Time Warner, NBC Sports Comcast Ventures, 21st Century Fox, Fox Sports Interactive Media
  • Visa, MasterCard and American Express
  • J.P. Morgan, Capital One Bank, Google Capital, Piton Capital and Scottish Investment Bank
  • PayPal, Paysafe and Vantiv (payment processors)
  • DraftKings, FanDuel and Jason Robins