DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

I'm really honestly surprised that anyone anywhere even cares who broadcasts what games on national networks. There are like, six people non auto racing, who if they retired tomorrow I would be sad, one of them because he sucks, and another one is missing the postseason.

I certainly don't contemplate calling commentators I don't like bad names. Even the usually hated Joe Buck doesn't move the needle for me. And the truth is that I honestly don't think 98% of the populous cares who commentates outside of their local teams.

I don't personally care about the Draft Kings/FanDuel thing if it is what they say it is.  Like Jrag said, all that info is available to anyone else that plays.  Sure it's easier for that guy to get that info but it's still not "insider information" like what's being said.  Now if there is something going on like being able to look at other people's lineups and using that info, that's not right. 

As far as the whole gambling thing, I don't care if you call it gambling or not.  Gambling shouldn't be illegal.  Gambling should be legal and regulated.  Also, 0.3% is nothing.  3% would be a big deal, 0.3% is insignificant. 

The funny thng that i had heard he did not want to do a lot of hits from stations around the country.. I would guess he only wanted to do WFAN and WEEI. He never even wanted to do hits for friends with ESPN affiliation,, like TK or Lebatard.

That wouldn't suprise me at all the couple times he was on Lebatard he came off as less then intrested in the conversation but since it was Lebatard show it could have been the gag they were going for.

He did a whole show with TK in a hotel lobby or something last year when he was in DC.

He did 3 or the whole 4 hour of Lebatard's show in Miami when he was there for NBA Countdown. The whole thing about him on that show was LeBatard and the gang making fun of "angry/entitled Boston sports fan", in fact most listeners were shocked at how well Simmons came off when he did the whole show, people hated him when he was a 1 segment guess.

I don't personally care about the Draft Kings/FanDuel thing if it is what they say it is. Like Jrag said, all that info is available to anyone else that plays. Sure it's easier for that guy to get that info but it's still not "insider information" like what's being said. Now if there is something going on like being able to look at other people's lineups and using that info, that's not right.

As far as the whole gambling thing, I don't care if you call it gambling or not. Gambling shouldn't be illegal. Gambling should be legal and regulated. Also, 0.3% is nothing. 3% would be a big deal, 0.3% is insignificant.

It also ignores that these guys were hired because they were big time fantasy players and know their stuff. We know the guy won big once but how many times did he lose to get to that is the question.

I don't personally care about the Draft Kings/FanDuel thing if it is what they say it is. Like Jrag said, all that info is available to anyone else that plays. Sure it's easier for that guy to get that info but it's still not "insider information" like what's being said. Now if there is something going on like being able to look at other people's lineups and using that info, that's not right.

As far as the whole gambling thing, I don't care if you call it gambling or not. Gambling shouldn't be illegal. Gambling should be legal and regulated. Also, 0.3% is nothing. 3% would be a big deal, 0.3% is insignificant.

It also ignores that these guys were hired because they were big time fantasy players and know their stuff. We know the guy won big once but how many times did he lose to get to that is the question.

A friend of mine posted the employee in question's finishing charts for the time. He was in the money nearly every time.

And 0.3% is estimated in the low eight figures, fwiw.

• Like 1

There's a report on Twitter that four members of grantland are leaving to join Bill at HBO. There referred to as 'highly regarded'

Is HBO building him a Grantland 2.0 for writers? Because if this only for TV, some of the note highly regarded writers seem less likely.

Curious though.

A friend of mine posted the employee in question's finishing charts for the time. He was in the money nearly every time.

And 0.3% is estimated in the low eight figures, fwiw.

It doesn't really matter. 0.3% is 0.3%. If it represents low eight figures then that puts the whole pot at stake at over $3billion. So yeah, insignificant.

If Ryan is jumping, you have to imagine Andy Greenwald won't be far behind him. Apparently, they're childhood friends. If not, I will miss hate-listening to Hollywood Prospectus. NARCOOOOOOOOOS

Notable that these names all come from the pop culture side of the site.