DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

Mike Tirico will replace Al Michaels on 4 broadcasts the rest of the season

Cris Collinsworth, Michaels’s usual partner in the NBC booth, actually broke the news during his appearance on Bill Simmons’s podcast Tuesday, announcing that Michaels, 72, will be given a few days off over the rest of the season. Tirico’s first game with Collinsworth will be Sunday night when the Packers visit the Redskins. The two also will call the Thanksgiving night game between the Steelers and the Colts and the game the following Sunday night between the Chiefs and the Broncos, plus a Dec. 22 game between the Giants and Eagles (a Thursday night).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/16/mike-tirico-will-replace-al-michaels-for-four-nbc-games/?tid=sm_tw

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It says a lot about Thursday Night Football, that it is too much to ask an announcer to do two games in that amount of time, but the players have to keep on playing.  I still don't understand how this is allowed, it's just inhumane.

• Like 2

Sage Steele getting ripped apart by black men and women alike for being a butter biscuit eating bed wench is the best early Christmas present I can ask for. It's the reason I can never quit black Twitter as much I want to. 

• Like 1

Sage trying to play the victim with that awful Facebook post and re-igniting the Twitter firestorm was the best. Even funnier watching her defenders(who've been almost exclusively white) try and cry racism because of her getting dragged so viciously.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

For those of us who don't follow these things what exactly did she say?

She went after Mike Evans for protesting the national anthem. This didn't sit well with black people.

Instead of just letting the story disappear, she doubled down by posting a rant using "diversity" as a front to talk about how black people should praise white people (specifically white people like her husband) for marrying black people and how black people shouldn't tear down other black people. So she basically went after black people for doing what she did. This is also coming from a woman who let a white man pet her hair on television like she was an exotic, wild animal.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

She went after Mike Evans for protesting the national anthem. This didn't sit well with black people.

Instead of just letting the story disappear, she doubled down by posting a rant using "diversity" as a front to talk about how black people should praise white people (specifically white people like her husband) for marrying black people and how black people shouldn't tear down other black people. So she basically went after black people for doing what she did. This is also coming from a woman who let a white man pet her hair on television like she was an exotic, wild animal.

Not just any white man, but racist shitlord Chael Sonnen! 

Chael-Sonnen-Sage-Steele.jpg

It's OK, though: Among Sage's most ardent supporters right now is...shitlord hack Jason Whitlock. Whew. 

20 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Not just any white man, but racist shitlord Chael Sonnen! 

I think any white man would be a problem, whether it was Chael, her husband, or anyone else.  It would be about as bizarre and demeaning.

I thought the "Swirl" movement/help other folks start interracial dating exclusively thing wouldn't go past Youtube advice videos and blogs/forums. However, I guess ESPN personalities are allowed to espouse this message as long as it shits on black people in the end. 

• Like 2

To be fair, Evans ended up having to apologize after pretty much the entire city of Tampa (white, black, and Hispanic) came down on him and crucified him for taking a knee on "Salute to Service" day and with a huge military base (MacDill) in the city.

Tampa and Orlando are pretty conservative across the racial spectrum, so taking a knee during Veteran's Day Weekend was pretty stupid on Evans' part.

12 minutes ago, Jerome Miller said:

To be fair, Evans ended up having to apologize after pretty much the entire city of Tampa (white, black, and Hispanic) came down on him and crucified him for taking a knee on "Salute to Service" day and with a huge military (MacDill) in the city.

Tampa and Orlando are pretty conservative across the racial spectrum, so taking a knee during Veteran's Day Weekend was pretty stupid on Evans' part.

Not really because those cities don't control Mike Evans. Neither does Sage Steele and her "get in line, negro" message. They're not going to trade Mike Evans because he didn't stand. They would be pissed for a second, and then go back to not giving a shit. 

Also, I'm not surprised you're the person to try to put the "fair" spin on this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jerome Miller said:

To be fair, Evans ended up having to apologize after pretty much the entire city of Tampa (white, black, and Hispanic) came down on him and crucified him for taking a knee on "Salute to Service" day and with a huge military base (MacDill) in the city.

Nah homie, the dirtiest thing that Sage Steel has done in this entire saga was saying that Evans was being disrespectful of the military when he specifically said beforehand that his protest was strictly about Trump's election and he had nothing but the utmost respect for the military.  He said that before he took the knee, and she put out a message about him disrespecting the military.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Absolutely. That it was that particular scumbag doing it just feels like an added insult. 

When it happened, it just highlighted the lack of black people working in MMA media because just about everyone covered it as another one of Chael's wacky antics. That's the coverage it got in MMA circles IIRC instead of "Remember when white people use to actually keep black people as pets and have them as part of a carnival sideshow? Isn't this wildly inappropriate?" like it should have been covered. Then again, that's asking a whole lot from people who only want to write about a potential Mayweather vs. McGregor bout that's never going to happen. 

The only black person I know covering MMA (if you want to call it that) is Karyn Bryant for Fox Sports 1 and it seems like her only purpose is to stroke the ego of the male MMA fighters.  I believe she was also the reporter that was giggling along when Rampage Jackson tried to motorboat her in an interview.  I am sure there are many others but yeah don't see them in coverage. 

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The only black person I know covering MMA (if you want to call it that) is Karyn Bryant for Fox Sports 1 and it seems like her only purpose is to stroke the ego of the male MMA fighters.  I believe she was also the reporter that was giggling along with Rampage Jackson tried to motorboat her in an interview.  I am sure there are many others but yeah don't see them in coverage. 

Shit, I forgot about the whole motorboat thing. That was pretty damn strange.

Karyn Bryant is basically MMA Sage Steele TBH. White husband and all. When she was still doing MMA H.E.A.T., her husband (and cameraman) was the douchebag who almost got into a fight with another MMA media member before a weigh-in (a quick Google search shows UFC 143: Condit vs. Diaz) and shouted "I train full contact four times a week". That's somehow worse than "I train UFC, bro".

Off the top of my head, the only black people who cover MMA in any significant manner are Franklin McNeil (who is absolutely horrendous) and Andreas Hale. Hale and his friend, whose name escapes me right now, do a podcast on both boxing and MMA among other things. So that's a grand total of four people counting Karyn Bryant. That's two terrible people, one person who I can probably say is good, and a person I don't know enough about to give an honest opinion.

Oh I forgot, Mike "The Truth" Jackson (or Michael Jackson since that's his real name) who I am pretty sure is the only person to fight on a UFC show AND cover the very same show (don't think Josh Samman got to do it before he passed away). Granted he lost in like 15 seconds, he did ask Mickey Gall about how did he beat him. That was amazing and symbolic of the whole process of CM Punk fighting in the UFC.

I like Mike though so add him to the good column with Andreas Hale.

This is one of those things that I feel too damn white to have an opinion on, but, seriously, Mike Evans kneeling on Salute To Service Day, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, or next Tuesday... Good for him. He has a platform to have his voice heard, and we white people really need to stop acting like black people don't have legitimate complaints. Because seriously.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Nah homie, the dirtiest thing that Sage Steel has done in this entire saga was saying that Evans was being disrespectful of the military when he specifically said beforehand that his protest was strictly about Trump's election and he had nothing but the utmost respect for the military.  He said that before he took the knee, and she put out a message about him disrespecting the military.

Okay, sure, whatever, pal. 

If I rob a bank and shoot a pregnant woman, as long as I say "I have the utmost respect for pregnant ladies" before I shoot her, that makes it all okay.

Thank God I've got elsalvajeloco on "ignore."  I'm sure it has something to do with how Sage Steel isn't a "real sister" or some other reverse racist, black militant dipshit idiocy.

6 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

How the fuck are you still a mod?

Because I can keep idiots like you from looking stupid and double posting. :)

Also, I am allowed to get mad when some stranger on an internet forum randomly private messages me and wants me to secretly advocate for white supremacy. So yeah, both of those things.