DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

Here's the thing about his HBO show.  It isn't different enough than the stuff we watch on ESPN 5 hours earlier.  I'm pretty sure the target audience for his show is basically the same group that watches any or all of these shows:  Around the Horn, PTI, Highly Questionable, His or Hers, etc.  What was he doing that filled a hole that one of those shows didn't fill at a time when we've been programmed to watching that kind of show.  ESPN is where people have been going for this type of thing for 30 years.  In order to get people to change their viewing habits your show can't feel like a version of an ESPN show.  Real Sports works, because it filled a lane that ESPN wasn't already occupying.  Bill Simmons is a guy who made his name by being the "different" guy at ESPN, but by the time he left his style was being co-opted by the rest of ESPN.  Now that he's trying to bridge out, he kind of just feels like an ESPN guy who is on the wrong channel.  It is kind of like how it doesn't make any sense for TNA to try to be WWE.  You aren't going to beat them by copying them, you have to do something that makes you worth watching to the people who are already used to watching something else. 

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It prob does not help being a taped show on a Wednesday, in middle of the week, too late for weekend reviews, too early for weekend previews.

If you listen to sports radio, I bet you that 95% of the Wednesday shows are the ones where they either take a bunch of calls or have a bunch of guests.  Wednesday is the absolute worst day to have a show about what's going on in sports.  That completely slipped my mind when I was typing my previous comment.

On 11/4/2016 at 0:25 PM, muhammedboehm said:

Twitter is reporting Simmons HBO show is dead.

I wonder what it means for the RInger. The site is the drizzling shits, and I wonder how long HBO will be content to fund Simmons sinecure. . . .

Not sure it will pay off, but it's a smart move that might get them more eyeballs (according to the article, ratings are down 33% since Skip left).

I find the show kinda boring since Bayless left.  Kellerman comes off as kinda bland compared to Stephen A.  On the plus side, I don't spend my mornings wondering if there are any laws on the books that would permit legally punching Skip Bayless out a window.  So that's something.