DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...

The sole highlight, for me, of Sunday's football action was the guy at the bar next to me works in sales for the local ESPN Radio affiliate and got his start with a internship at "The Mothership" a few years ago.

As the afternoon wore on, and he got increasingly drunk as his Saints lost to the Raiders, he started to shit on Brian Windhorst non-stop, claiming that nobody in Bristol, CT likes "Windy" because he's a smarmy douchebag who always brags about his 'connections' to Lebron James and the Miami Heat/Cleveland Cavs, makes a complete pig of himself in the ESPN cafeteria by shoveling food into his mouth nonstop, and is apparently some sort of cheapskate miser who refuses to have custom suits made and buys 'off the rack' from Men's Wearhouse, which is why his sport coats are always so ill-fitting when he's on-camera.

I got the impression that as soon as LBJ retires, ESPN will shift Windhorst into an off-camera blogger role as quickly as possible.

I was with all of that until the thing about the suits.  These are sports guys.  They should be wearing shitty second hand suits with cigarette holes in them and business cards in the pocket from the dead guy who owned the jacket before them.

The only thing I can imagine in this world worse than being stuck in an elevator with a bunch of t.v. sports talkers is being stuck in an elevator while a bunch of t.v. sports talkers complain about someone's hair product or that their socks aren't tailored. 

Fuck's sake, man!

• Like 1

Steve Czaban announced that his national radio show is ending (the one on SB Nation radio) but he will still be doing his local DC afternoon show (and I guess he does a random 45 minutes in Milwaukee for some reason)

Given that he continually finished dead last in the Arbitrons, and his ratings got even worse after NBC and CBS Sports Radio came on-line, it's more of a surprise that Czaban lasted as long as he did on Yahoo! Sports Radio/SB Nation Radio.

Just more proof of the "Good Old Boys" network in sports radio.  No matter how awful your show or how bad you do in the ratings (I'm looking at you, Tony Bruno), someone will give you a job on national sports radio if you've got the connections.

Anyone gotten brave enough to check out Skip Bayless' new show on FS1?  Or for that matter, watched First Take since they brought Kellerman on board?

I've watched a tiny bit of Screaming A/Max Kellerman.  Not enough to have an opinion.  I did miss Skip just a tiny bit after week 1 of the NFL and Stephen A going mental over the Cowboys' receiver who forgot to try to get out of bounds on the last play of the game to stop the clock and give the field goal unit time to get on the field.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

ESPN is giving two fans the opportunity to debate with Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman on First Take.

Sounds more like an alternative to prison for first-time, non-violent offenders.

You can't argue with Stephen A. Smith.  He is better at saying nothing and making it sound poignant than anyone on the planet.  Barack Obama, who we should be able to agree is a great speaker despite our individual politics, wouldn't want those problems.  I'm clearly not the audience for First Take, but I fully understand why that show is successful.  Stephen A. can state an opinion about absolutely anything, and present it in a way that is clear and concise, even when he's being ridiculous.  That is very hard to do.  Television is harder than we give it credit for, and he's phenomenal at it.

• 2 weeks later...

This little gem was posted on the ESPN Radio front page in relation to The Dan Le Batard Show:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski dishes on his experience at a Lionel Richie concert in Las Vegas

No, seriously, that's the headline for today's show.  

Todd Wright can't even get anyone at FSR or ESPN to pick up the phone, and this fat ass, dumb fuck is stinking up both the TV side and radio side.

Granted, it's not as bad as Dan Patrick taking six weeks off every other month to go film a cameo in some awful Adam Sandler movie, but still.  I really hate humanity sometimes...

The Dan LeBatard show is the best sports radio show on the air.  I have no interest in listening to Coach K answer basketball questions with bullshit coach speak that is utterly meaningless.  There is nothing interesting about a coach talking in platitudes about his team.  Why does anyone think that Coach K is ever going to say anything meaningful about his team. The thing that makes the show work is that Coach K would rather talk about his experience at a Lionel Richie concert than to just spout the same ol' bullshit he tells everyone else.  The bit they did with Ryan Tannehill about Team X were he answered questions about an imaginary team showed everything wrong with sports radio.  If you ask a coach, player, GM, or anyone else around a team questions about their sport, they will go into robo speak where they don't actually say anything.  Mike Krzyewski calls into the LeBatard show because he has fun doing it, and therefore the listeners have fun listening to it.

I keep meaning to go back and listen to the old LeBatard shows i have on file. The spelling bee was one of my all-time favorite annual bits. 

I should dig out the interview i did with Dan years ago. I want to say there's stuff in there about not taking sports radio too seriously. 

11 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I really like LeBatard's radio show.

The TV show he does with his dad is another story....

Papi is a national treasure.  

I've been thinking about launching a blog in order to build a portfolio to get some freelance writing work.  I want to write about sports, but I want to approach it in a different way.  I hate how sports are covered.  The righteous indignation, the coach worship, the player hate, the fact that we actually take games seriously, all piss me off.  I love how LeBatard, his dad, and Bomani can talk about sports in a way that is goofy, fun, and a tad bit ridiculous.  I don't know why we take this stuff so seriously.    

• Like 1

But he's got a thick accent! Boo! Something... to be fair it did take me a few times listening to him to pick through his pronounciation. Kind of like listening to Ozzie Guillen. OTOH, I still have no clue what Lou Holtz has ever said.

On 10/26/2016 at 8:36 PM, Jerome Miller said:

This little gem was posted on the ESPN Radio front page in relation to The Dan Le Batard Show:

No, seriously, that's the headline for today's show.  

Todd Wright can't even get anyone at FSR or ESPN to pick up the phone, and this fat ass, dumb fuck is stinking up both the TV side and radio side.

Granted, it's not as bad as Dan Patrick taking six weeks off every other month to go film a cameo in some awful Adam Sandler movie, but still.  I really hate humanity sometimes...

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jerome Miller said:

Well, excuse me for preferring "hardcore Xs and Ox talk" in my sports radio and not having any sort of tolerance for "man cave radio" or "wacky caller radio" like Le Batard, Ben Maller, and Jim Rome do.

Are you trying to tell me you've heard actual talk about Xs and Os on the radio?  That generally is not the case with sports radio.  The crazy thing I've found about most sports shows, even those hosted by former coaches and players, is that I never feel like the hosts are saying anything that I didn't already know.  The host just gives his obviously biased opinions about players, coaches, teams, etc.  Here's the thing, there isn't a single radio host who is watching every single game.  Their job is to be entertaining, not to be experts.  The key to the LeBatard show is that they don't try to act like they actually know everything.  Just because people take these games more seriously, doesn't mean that they actually know anything.  LeBatard is very knowledgeable about sports and has plenty of guests who are very knowledgeable about sports.  They just have fun with it.  A couple of weeks ago they had the guy who runs Presnapreads.com come on and breakdown quarterback play.  That guy watches every play single play of every single game and notes who was successful, who was unsuccessful, and can tell you exactly why Derek Carr is average at best and Tony Romo is outstanding at worst...with facts.  I probably learned more about what makes a quarterback successful in that one segment than I have listening to any coach or player talking about it.  Sure there is a lot of goofball nonsense, but it is just as if not more informative about sports than any sports show on the air.  

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 11:16 AM, supremebve said:

Papi is a national treasure.  

I've been thinking about launching a blog in order to build a portfolio to get some freelance writing work.  I want to write about sports, but I want to approach it in a different way.  I hate how sports are covered.  The righteous indignation, the coach worship, the player hate, the fact that we actually take games seriously, all piss me off.  I love how LeBatard, his dad, and Bomani can talk about sports in a way that is goofy, fun, and a tad bit ridiculous.  I don't know why we take this stuff so seriously.    

Rippa and I say good fucking luck with that.  Make sure you get a kid out of Northeastern to help you.  At least he'll go places.

• Like 2