DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

Wow, they are dumb if they let the NFL have that level of control over who they allow in the booth after paying for the damn games. I guess since it's the Network as well they have more clout.

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

They've been half-assing for months for this very reason in a lot of cases, but Deadspin has had a lot of good content realistically. Among the random garbage.

Between the giant animated gifs, the "shared articles," and the dumb ass ads, Chrome is so slow when trying to load any article on Deadspin.

Both Deadspin and Awful Announcing have become poster children for the need for some sort of regulation of Internet advertising.

20 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Between the giant animated gifs, the "shared articles," and the dumb ass ads, Chrome is so slow when trying to load any article on Deadspin.

Both Deadspin and Awful Announcing have become poster children for the need for some sort of regulation of Internet advertising.

/waves/

if you have a better idea for us to make money, I'm all ears.

20 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Adblocker.  

The sheer amount of fluff articles on sports sites these days makes almost every single one unreadable.

Everything is opinion pieces to the point where you cannot enjoy a simple article anymore.

• Like 1

After cutting the cord three months ago, I was rudely re-introduced to ESPN this past week at the in-laws house.

Olympics coverage AND Little League World Series coverage 24/7 ad nauseum.  I now look back at my hatred of ESPN America's Cup yachting coverage 30 years ago with fondness in light of this past week.

On 8/22/2016 at 1:23 PM, Kuetsar said:

Politicians and civic  leaders who create "bike lanes" on busy streets so cyclists can disrupt traffic and act like they're better than everyone else are assholes. . . . In other news water is wet. http://deadspin.com/peter-king-drives-in-bike-lane-suffers-wrath-of-the-in-1785595153

FTFY.

Anyways, I guess this goes here:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17374929/otl-investigates-implosion-daily-fantasy-sports-leaders-draftkings-fanduel

Outside the Lines and ESPN the Magazine go after FanDuel and DraftKings and reveal that both companies are on the verge of bankruptcy.

Because of all those stupid, stupid, stupid commercials they used to run, I have no sympathy at all for these guys.  Just like when the on-line poker industry got legislated to death, I was so happy b/c of all the dumb commercials they were running on radio/TV.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

FTFY.

Anyways, I guess this goes here:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17374929/otl-investigates-implosion-daily-fantasy-sports-leaders-draftkings-fanduel

Outside the Lines and ESPN the Magazine go after FanDuel and DraftKings and reveal that both companies are on the verge of bankruptcy.

Because of all those stupid, stupid, stupid commercials they used to run, I have no sympathy at all for these guys.  Just like when the on-line poker industry got legislated to death, I was so happy b/c of all the dumb commercials they were running on radio/TV.

Whether or not the bike lane needs to be as big as a lane or whether it exists or not is a seperate issue. King encouraged the person driving the car to go into the lane not giving a shit that it was illega and dangerous,l then bragged about it on Twitter. 

Okay, enough with these damned "Town Hall" specials on ESPN.  You don't mean to tell me they didn't have any old episodes of Cheap Seats or Roy Firestone that they could have plugged in to that timeslot?

Why are they even doing another one after the first one lost in the ratings to "Big Brother" and all the controversy about Eric Garner's daughter bad mouthing the show because they tried to manipulate her appearance?

I watch sports to escape from the problems of everyday life, not be reminded of them.

2 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Okay, enough with these damned "Town Hall" specials on ESPN.  You don't mean to tell me they didn't have any old episodes of Cheap Seats or Roy Firestone that they could have plugged in to that timeslot?

Why are they even doing another one after the first one lost in the ratings to "Big Brother" and all the controversy about Eric Garner's daughter bad mouthing the show because they tried to manipulate her appearance?

I watch sports to escape from the problems of everyday life, not be reminded of them.

I couldn't disagree with this sentiment more.  Sports has probably done more for racial/social change than most politicians.  Jesse Owens is legendary, because he proved that Nazi superiority was bullshit by dominating the Olympics in Germany.  Joe Louis became an American hero by knocking out Max Schmelling in the first round to avenge his loss in their first fight.  Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali, and many more athletes have been catalysts for social change, because their performances shined light on their humanity.  I think the #1 thing that sports can bring society is the opportunity for people from different backgrounds to get together on an equal playing field.  When society fails, often times sports is where we succeed.  Maybe we should stop trying to escape the problems of every day life and actually do something that may solve the problems of every day life.  If a sports related "Town Hall" gets people from both sides to a place where they can have a respectful conversation, I fully support it.  With that said, I haven't watched any of them.  

• Like 3

I have no problem with these sports related Town Hall meeting but nothing ever really happens because of them.  It is really just the same talking points that everyone has heard 100 times.  Maybe someone from side A will meet with someone from side B will meet for a week or two afterward but then something happens and it is back to normal.    Especially in a society where it is just one hot take after another to get noticed

By the way nothing will ever top the ESPN town hall meeting for Michael Vick during the dog fighting controversy.  Someone thought it would be a good idea to bring this to Atlanta and the city was kind of embarrassed by it.  I remember they brought someone from the Humane Society and every time she talked she would get heckled and insulted.  

Oh BTW

Cancer came for Craig Sager

Craig Sager told cancer it better pack a fucking lunch

http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/184bec5b73144d70acc80447100f0654/tnts-craig-sager-hangs-tough-leukemia-battle

"I've had every chemo in the alphabet, most of them more than once," he said. "Some of them that aren't even in the alphabet, they're just numbers — clinical trials. But I bet if you added all those up it would have to be like 60- or 70-something. I've had 23 bone marrow aspirations. Having one isn't fun and I've had 23. So that's been tough."

Despite the rigors of treatment and how they can ravage his body, he's never thought about giving up. He gets angry when he meets other patients who say they've grown weary of fighting.

"Man, life is too beautiful, too wonderful, there's just too many things," he said. "It's not just you. It's your family and kids and all. Fight. Fight until the end. Fight as hard as you can."

• Like 7

Still a bit insulting to say that of those fighting it, not everyone has that level of willpower naturally, but I won't hold it against him or anything. He's a special breed to have that much fight in him. My aunt's had cancer five different times and is still around. Different types to boot.

Charles Barkley can be an ass sometimes but he definitely has his good moments

A few days before his transplant, Stacy came down with a bad cold and doctors sent her home, fearful she’d transmit her illness to her husband. Hall of Famer and TNT colleague Charles Barkley heard she couldn’t be there for a couple of days and hopped on a plane from Phoenix.

However, Sir Charles had hip replacement surgery less than a month ago and wasn’t cleared to travel. He said his doctor was livid when he learned Barkley had defied orders and flown halfway across the country. Barkley informed the doctor that it was an emergency.