DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

It's a celebration of Ichiro's 3000th hit, tempered by the passing on the day of recording of longtime ESPN anchor John Saunders. On the podcast today are DVDVR's own  Joe Lucia (@Joe_TOC) from Awful Announcing and The Comeback and former ESPN producer Gus Ramsey (@GusRamsey)'

Joe talks about John Saunders (1:29), Ichiro's 3000 hits and his amazing MLB season (5:07), the rash of retiring players this week (15:33), the August 1 trade deadline (21:26), the Aaron Sanchez soap opera in Toronto (22:42), rooting for bad teams (26:46), NBC's Rio Olympics coverage (33:08) and televising internationl futbol in the US (37:45).

Gus discusses John Saunders (48:34), Ichiro (53:00), retiring players (58:10), the Dan and Kieth years on Sportscenter (1:01:06), Sports Night and other depictions of newsrooms in TV and Film (1:05:29), working on the WWE Network's Edge and Christian Show (1:12:24), the state of current WWE (1:26:50), his new Talent Coach service for broadcasters (1:31:31) and the new Madden and other video games (1:39:15).

http://Tinyurl.com/winter42

• Like 1

I don't know John Saunders, but I want the people who know me talk about me like they are talking about John Saunders.  I don't know if any of you watched or heard the intro to Around the Horn yesterday, but every single person on the show seemed to love Saunders on a deep personal level.  Israel Gutierrez' portion was soul crushing for me.  He lost a bet with Saunders and was supposed to go with Saunders and his family to see Hamilton.  He expressed his hope that he can still spend that time with Saunders' family, and was about a millimeter away from breaking into a full blown sob the entire time.  Apparently he was the type of guy who would go to the president of the company to sing the praises of the younger people in the company.  LeBatard was talking yesterday about how Saunders was always texting him about how much he enjoyed his show and how he wanted to fill in one day just so he could meet his dad.  I know that everyone gets the sun shined on their ass after they die, but so many of these Saunders stories seem to involve his family or how well he treated the families of his colleagues.  He seemed like a great human being, and the world can never have too many of those. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Jemelle Hill said he was a huge hip-hop fan, but the last female comedian he could name was Jean Stapleton.  That my friends is range.

Which she does not have. 

The Daily Beast had an article up today where the author was trying to find hookups in the Olympic Village with the athletes. He couldn't find anyone on Tinder, so he switched to Grindr.  He then wrote a mocking, grotesquely unethical piece that was essentially "lol gay men love sex amirite?" (The author is by his own admission, straight and has a child.) He also gave very detailed descriptions about several of them including physical descriptions, sport, and country of origin... in other words he outed them. A couple of which came from countries that are dangerous for LGBT people.  

TDB originally edited the article to remove some of the descriptions.  They've been getting pounded all day though, and they finally took the article down this evening

The author has not commented at all today. 

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Daily Beast had an article up today where the author was trying to find hookups in the Olympic Village with the athletes. He couldn't find anyone on Tinder, so he switched to Grindr.  He then wrote a mocking, grotesquely unethical piece that was essentially "lol gay men love sex amirite?" (The author is by his own admission, straight and has a child.) He also gave very detailed descriptions about several of them including physical descriptions, sport, and country of origin... in other words he outed them. A couple of which came from countries that are dangerous for LGBT people.  

TDB originally edited the article to remove some of the descriptions.  They've been getting pounded all day though, and they finally took the article down this evening

The author has not commented at all today. 

The Daily Beast is weird. They have a couple of good writers and a lot of shitty ones. I've read more than a few there that have no flow or cohesion to them at all. It doesn't surprise me at all that they would allow a piece of shit like that on their website. . . .what an asshole.

14 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Anyone heard more on John Saunders' COD?  I've heard some rumors, but I'm really hoping those aren't true (and I don't particularly want to repeat them here).

Someone posted that rumor on his wikipedia page right after he died. 

This goes a little beyond sports but related

Univision has bought all the Gawker Media Assets (Deadspin, Kotaku, etc...) for $135 million

So all those will continue

Univision has yet to decide if it will continue with gawker.com

Mostly for Canadian peeps:

richard deitsch was on prime time and they ended up talking about Roy Firestone.  And he said "you have a guy like that up there, right? Whats his name? Landesberger?" Then silence. Then deitsch says "is he on the other network?"

good thing landsberg is on vacation. I doubt he would want to be compared to the softball interviewer who made people cry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This goes a little beyond sports but related

Univision has bought all the Gawker Media Assets (Deadspin, Kotaku, etc...) for $135 million

So all those will continue

Univision has yet to decide if it will continue with gawker.com

Apparently there is a buyback option before the sale is final in September. In the event the award get thrown out by then. . . .

Well that aint gonna happen as Nick Denton told the staff today that gawker.com will be ending next week

(Again - all the other websites will remain business as usual)

It will be interesting as I think a couple of the sites will really benefit from not being under the Gawker stigma anymore

• Like 1

On 8/18/2016 at 1:14 PM, RIPPA said:

Well that aint gonna happen as Nick Denton told the staff today that gawker.com will be ending next week

(Again - all the other websites will remain business as usual)

It will be interesting as I think a couple of the sites will really benefit from not being under the Gawker stigma anymore

I agree with this, I know someone who is a journalist for Univision and she loves the freedom they give her to actually do good work.  She's a person who people often do not take seriously, because she looks like a telenovela star, but she's someone who is very talented and passionate about journalism.  She is someone who could literally work anywhere, she doesn't even think about working anywhere else.  Hopefully all of those Gawker sites get a kick in the ass and start doing better work.  

They've been half-assing for months for this very reason in a lot of cases, but Deadspin has had a lot of good content realistically. Among the random garbage.

That's perfectly plausible. I hope they send ones that don't know anything about sports to Deadspin, people who know nothing about cars to Jalopnik and just one random confused guy to Jezebel.