DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

They're not going to release him over a non-story that died out in less than 24 hours. Plus, I'm pretty sure they did their due diligence before they signed him. It's like teams who grabbed Doug Christie back in the day. You also get Jackie Christie as part of that deal.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

They're not going to release him over a non-story that died out in less than 24 hours. Plus, I'm pretty sure they did their due diligence before they signed him. It's like teams who grabbed Doug Christie back in the day. You also get Jackie Christie as part of that deal.

God, I almost forgot about her.  I have a theory that has yet to be disproven.  If you are a grown ass man and you've been in more than 5 fights as an adult, you either really like to fight or you have a crazy girlfriend.  If I had to defend this in front of some sort of court or senate committee, Jackie Christie would be my exhibit A.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

What letter would Anna Benson be?

She's on the same list as #88.  There are just some people I'm not talking about in public.  I'm definitely not bringing up her name with the authorities.

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

I wouldn't watch a minute of the ESPYS even if you paid me.

Any particular reason?  I don't watch award shows much, but this one seems inoffensive at worst.  They seem to focus on the Arthur Ashe award and the cancer fundraising more than just giving another meaningless trophy to LeBron.  I find the canonization of Jim Valvano a little odd since I'm old enough to remember what his reputation was before he joined ESPN and became ill, but that's not a big deal in the grand scheme.  

Wow, Stephen A calling Brady Uppity. I usually only see that phrase used in the other racial direction from angry cranks in the local newspaper editorials about how the Civil War wasn't about slavery...in Wisconsin.

On 7/13/2016 at 9:56 AM, supremebve said:

God, I almost forgot about her.  I have a theory that has yet to be disproven.  If you are a grown ass man and you've been in more than 5 fights as an adult, you either really like to fight or you have a crazy girlfriend.  If I had to defend this in front of some sort of court or senate committee, Jackie Christie would be my exhibit A.

Man, Jackie Christie is still crazy...http://deadspin.com/jackie-christie-says-she-weighs-doug-christies-balls-to-1784072292

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/107288/yahoo-sports-radio-rebrands-as-sb-nation-radio/

The radio network formerly known as "One-On-One Sports Radio," "Sporting News Radio," and "Yahoo! Sports Radio" is now being renamed "SB Nation Sports Radio."

----------------------

Also, apparently Cedric Ceballos is gone from Fox Sports Radio.

Back in March, FSR gave their weekend prime time slot to some guy named Brian Noe who's whole act was basically "frat boy jock" and he was horrible. 

To improve ratings, FSR stuck him with Ceballos on Saturday nights.  Ceballos was really good: pragmatic, intelligent, focused on the facts.

The two men had zero chemistry.  Ceballos would make a telling point about NBA players and Black Lives Matter, and Brian Noe would ignore him and start talking about how hyped he was for the new Air Jordan retros that were coming out.

This past Saturday, Ceballos was gone and it was back to being "The Brian Noe Show" with no mention of Cedric and Brian going back to full-on frat boy routine.

Those new AJ's are tight and totally sick, brah, Cedric totally faked the funk on his nasty blindfold dunk, man, total ownage, hurt!

4 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/107288/yahoo-sports-radio-rebrands-as-sb-nation-radio/

The radio network formerly known as "One-On-One Sports Radio," "Sporting News Radio," and "Yahoo! Sports Radio" is now being renamed "SB Nation Sports Radio."

----------------------

Also, apparently Cedric Ceballos is gone from Fox Sports Radio.

Back in March, FSR gave their weekend prime time slot to some guy named Brian Noe who's whole act was basically "frat boy jock" and he was horrible. 

To improve ratings, FSR stuck him with Ceballos on Saturday nights.  Ceballos was really good: pragmatic, intelligent, focused on the facts.

The two men had zero chemistry.  Ceballos would make a telling point about NBA players and Black Lives Matter, and Brian Noe would ignore him and start talking about how hyped he was for the new Air Jordan retros that were coming out.

This past Saturday, Ceballos was gone and it was back to being "The Brian Noe Show" with no mention of Cedric and Brian going back to full-on frat boy routine.

This kind of points to something that Larry Fitzgerald Sr. said on Bomani Jones' radio show on Friday.  Being a good black sports personality is like being better at your job than your boss.  Larry Fitzgerald Sr. and Dennis Green (R.I.P.) became friends, because Fitzgerald was fired for being too good at his job.  Fitzgerald against all opposition of his bosses, became the highest rated personality on whatever radio station he was working at, and as a reward he was fired.  Fitzgerald filed suit, won, and created the National Programming Network.  Dennis Green, who was the Head Coach of the Vikings at the time, went to him so he could create, and distribute his weekly radio show.  

Affirmative action at it's worst! In private industry...started by yourself...wait what? At least he won his case, that's foolish of them.

41 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Affirmative action at it's worst! In private industry...started by yourself...wait what? At least he won his case, that's foolish of them.

The Larry Fitzgerald Sr. case is not an isolated incident.  Sports radio seems to be a place where black and minority voices are disregarded at best, totally silenced at worst.  I remember there was a preseason game between the Washington football team and the Baltimore Ravens and the local DC station had people calling in to make fun of the Baltimore accent.  Baltimore is a city that has almost twice as many black people than white people, and the hosts of the show shot down every black person who called in with their Baltimore accent.  I was listening and thinking, the black Baltimore accent IS the Baltimore accent.  The vast majority of the city has an accent that I've never heard anywhere else, and they are pretending like they are the outliers. I honestly don't think the hosts knew what they were doing, but they are radio hosts in a majority black city, disregarding the accent of the majority black city they are joking about.  On the grand racism spectrum it is near the bottom, but it makes you wonder why we don't have more diverse voices in sports radio.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:40 PM, Kuetsar said:

I used to listen to a TON of 101 Sports back in the day. . . 

Me too. Was really my first exposure to sports talk radio when I was in college. 1-on-1 gave me Papa Joe and Arnie Spanier back-to-back, then the station switched over to Ron Barr's Sports Byline USA and whoever the overnight guy that came on after him was (name escapes me at the moment).

7 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Me too. Was really my first exposure to sports talk radio when I was in college. 1-on-1 gave me Papa Joe and Arnie Spanier back-to-back, then the station switched over to Ron Barr's Sports Overnight America and whoever the overnight guy that came on after him was (name escapes me at the moment).

I remember one time Peter Brown called in to Papa Joe's show to continue the argument they were having during the crosstalk segement. I miss that network. Then Tim Brando came on. . .what a douche.

• Like 1