DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

When you have just shy of 5 million Twitter followers like Bill Simmons, your mentions must look like the big wheel from The Price is Right, just constantly flowing and never stopping. Shit, one of the accounts I help manage for work is at 185k, and our mentions move pretty quickly (and can immediately turn into a shitshow not even worth acknowledging) when something interesting is going on.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

No, it's not that I want to write to Simmons. It's that he acts like all his followers are complete idiots. Surely some of those 5 million are intelligent people.

But is the wheat/chaff ratio worth the effort, if you are Simmons or Bob McKenzie or Adam Schefter? 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

But is the wheat/chaff ratio worth the effort, if you are Simmons or Bob McKenzie or Adam Schefter? 

No, I don't believe he should spend a lot of time on replying or even reading his mentions. But he doesn't need to spend several minutes on podcasts, how he doesn't read them and they're all idiots.

29 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Depends on your question.  I have asked Dreger questions and received responses which ended up creating very good conversations on Twitter.

If you ask the right question you get a response.  The question has to show intelligence and knowledge of the subject.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

No, I don't believe he should spend a lot of time on replying or even reading his mentions. But he doesn't need to spend several minutes on podcasts, how he doesn't read them and they're all idiots.

Yeah, That's a totally fair attitude to have. Carry on.

Am I the only one who has a problem with how this Miko Grimes thing is being reported?  On ESPN's homepage, they claim she said anti-Semitic remarks, but it seems more like a remark that acknowledges someone's Jewish heritage more than it in any way insults his Jewish heritage.  Let's put this in another frame for a second and then ask whether or not her comment was anti-Semitic.  I respect LeBron James for keeping his black friends employed.  Is that anti-black or is that just a comment a lot of people would look at as positive?  Honestly, Miko Grimes is a loud-mouth, who can be annoying, but calling her an anti-Semite is a little much in my opinion.

33 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Am I the only one who has a problem with how this Miko Grimes thing is being reported?  On ESPN's homepage, they claim she said anti-Semitic remarks, but it seems more like a remark that acknowledges someone's Jewish heritage more than it in any way insults his Jewish heritage.  Let's put this in another frame for a second and then ask whether or not her comment was anti-Semitic.  I respect LeBron James for keeping his black friends employed.  Is that anti-black or is that just a comment a lot of people would look at as positive?  Honestly, Miko Grimes is a loud-mouth, who can be annoying, but calling her an anti-Semite is a little much in my opinion.

The problem was that it was completely unnecessary to acknowledge his Jewish heritage. I also think context and stereotypes are important here. Her comments, even if she had used the word "Jewish" instead of "Jew", were clearly meant to be derisive. Also, we should take in to account that the pervading stereotypes surrounding Jews center around them being furtive and dishonest, especially when it pertains to economic or financial matters. Obviously we can argue intent until the cows come home, but I read the tweet and I sure think it essentially boils down to her saying "lol jews gonna jew amirite". I'm not prepared to call Miko Grimes an anti-Semite, but I think her comment is at best ignorant and inconsiderate. It's the kind of casual anti-Semitism that gets accepted every day and is significantly frustrating, because those who say things like this don't view it as harmful.  

16 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

The problem was that it was completely unnecessary to acknowledge his Jewish heritage. I also think context and stereotypes are important here. Her comments, even if she had used the word "Jewish" instead of "Jew", were clearly meant to be derisive. Also, we should take in to account that the pervading stereotypes surrounding Jews center around them being furtive and dishonest, especially when it pertains to economic or financial matters. Obviously we can argue intent until the cows come home, but I read the tweet and I sure think it essentially boils down to her saying "lol jews gonna jew amirite". I'm not prepared to call Miko Grimes an anti-Semite, but I think her comment is at best ignorant and inconsiderate. It's the kind of casual anti-Semitism that gets accepted every day and is significantly frustrating, because those who say things like this don't view it as harmful.  

I can see that.  I don't know if Miko Grimes is a anti-Semite, I do know she's an asshole who seems to have a never-ending stream of consciousness on her twitter account.  ESPN reporting on her nonsense is just plain nonsensical.  The only reason we know her name is because she is a constant nuisance who seems to enjoy ripping her husband's employer.  I don't know, I may have downplayed her comments a little, but I don't know if I can take anything she says seriously.  I have a neighbor who's dog barks at me like crazy any time I'm in my back yard.  I could sit around and try to analyze exactly why the dog is barking at me, but at the end of the day it is a dog and dog's bark.  Miko Grimes is essentially the same thing with the Dolphins, sitting around trying to figure out why she is barking is ridiculous, if we just ignored her we'd barely even notice she was there.

Miko is just one of those Lipstick Alley/Bossip types who just likes to drag people on social media. Instead of being just some obnoxious, random lady behind a computer who has dirt on who is fucking who or which pseudo celeb's house got foreclosed on, she happens to be the obnoxious wife of an NFL football player. However, I do enjoy her dragging Stephen A. Smith because that stuff will never stop being hilarious.

20 hours ago, Infinit said:

This will be hilarious if the Glazers , who are Jewish, release Grimes from the Bucs because his wife is a dumbass. 

Honest question, that could be a lawsuit right?  How many times have you ever heard of Brent Grimes doing anything close to questionable that didn't involve his wife?  I don't know if I would have ever heard of him if his wife wasn't ranting on the internet.  If Brent causes absolutely no problems, can you fire him because his wife is being difficult with no reprecusions? 

The issue would be proving they released him because of his wife's comments.

The could release him for a 100 different reasons (not saying they would). It is football. Everyone gets swept under the "isn't a fit for our roster"

So yes - there could be a lawsuit. I mean their could be a lawsuit about anything.

Clearly they wouldn't be able to win - it would be making enough noise to get a settlement

That being said - I am fairly comfortable in saying that unless he gets hurt, Grimes is going nowhere