DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, elizium said:

When was the last time he really wrote a real column? Wasn't he pretty much only doing mail bags on Grantland?

When was the last time he wrote a column not involving or mentioning a Boston sports team?

20 minutes ago, Joe Lucia said:

He's a Boston sports fan and they've won titles in every sport over the last decade. That's a silly thing to call him out for.

Ok but he also attends LA Clipper and LA Kings games as a season ticket holder so shouldn't he be able to speak on those teams also?

• Like 1

He can do whatever the fuck he wants. He's his own boss. If you don't like his work, there are millions of other columnists on the internet you can read instead. I don't understand why people feel the desire to constantly shit on someone they obviously don't like - it's incredibly easy to just read something else (as I do).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

Ok but he also attends LA Clipper and LA Kings games as a season ticket holder so shouldn't he be able to speak on those teams also?

There you go.  For someone that prides himself on being national he writes in a very local way.  If he was writing local about teams around the country it would be different but he writes local about Boston.

He just got lucky jumping onto the ESPN promotional bandwagon before the company became a total clusterf.  

14 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

There you go.  For someone that prides himself on being national he writes in a very local way.  If he was writing local about teams around the country it would be different but he writes local about Boston.

He just got lucky jumping onto the ESPN promotional bandwagon before the company became a total clusterf.  

If you've seen/read the local Boston sports media (and were a Boston sports fan), you'd love Simmons. 

ESPN had an all-time great blunder today. It was awesome.

The College World Series regionals are going on. William and Mary and UVA were playing in an elimination game. UVA is the defending national champ. The Tribe needed a seven run 9th inning comeback in the Colonial Athletic Association tournament to make the tournament. UVA was down to its final three outs. The Tribe get the first two really quickly. Then there is an infield hit. Next, a UVA batter hits a check swing that somehow sneaks past SS and 3B. Two on, two out with the defending champs season on the line.

This is a huge and mammoth moment, from what I can see via Twitter. Gigantic upset on par with the famous Princeton/UCLA game in basketball.

What happens right when the first pitch is about to happen?

The entire ESPN3 network goes down.

Every regional game goes to the "our program will begin shortly" screen. Doesn't come back on for 15 minutes or so. So W&M's final out does not get shown to anyone.

So great.

• Like 1

My opinion of Mike Golic raised about 9000% with his response to all the garbage about the rape case with the Stanford kid.

@bayareabiaswhat can you tell us about what the atmosphere was like that night?

@rattocsn 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Like always.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steve said:

The best part was the end... "I've often said that."

It was a hell of a dismount.  What is the over/under on the percentage of belief he has in the fact that he would have won that case.  I'm setting it at 99.9% and taking the over.