DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Is Berman really that big of a name to hire to draw people anywhere? Isn't he mostly thought of as a pointless oaf by the modern audience? It's not like it's 1995 and he still has that name value. He's mostly just mocked at this point.

Yeah but the thing is, when it comes to covering sports, being widely hated seems to be a plus for some odd reason (eg. Joe Buck, Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, etc.)

• Like 1

But those three names you gave arnt doing what Berman does. The sports center like show is dying cause just like when sports center started technology has passed it by. When sports center started your best bet for scores and highlights was the late local news cast and even then that would be focused on your local teams. 

Now if I want to see highlights of game 6 of the playoffs I can find vines on Twitter or highlights on NBA.com or even espns own site. So Bermans one skill isn't has useful as calling games (Buck ect) or being a talking head (Smith, Bayless, ect).

I don't quite see Berman as the type to do a chat show like Dan Patrick.  I'm wondering how much interest there will be in him when he becomes a free agent, especially since his salary demand would probably be enormous.

I know Berman's shtick has worn out it's welcome at this point but I will always have a soft spot for him because he is a huge Whalers fan and often references them.

• Like 1

I read he's going to go on the lecture circuit and talk about female empowerment and how to properly treat co-workers to get the best out of your managerial system. Baylor's already booked him.

• Like 5

I've only read a couple of the front page articles on The Ringer, but they have had an e-mail list for a couple of months or so where once or twice a week you'd get two to three stories sent to you.  I would guess those are some of the older pieces on the site.

Veteran announcer Verne Lundquist’s upcoming 17th season as the play-by-play voice of the SEC on CBS will be his last. CBS announced Tuesday that after the 2016 season, Lundquist will be handing over the reins to Brad Nessler, who’s rejoining CBS now after a 24-year career at ESPN

Repeat after me

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO <_<