DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

Jonah Keri just posted that he is going to start with MLB Network later this month

Up, Up, and Away is one of the best sports books I've ever read so this is a fantastic hire.

A new low in silly journalism? The fact they made a story out of Urlacher getting a hair transplant like anyone actually gives a shit is hilarious enough. As someone losing their hair, I don't really give a shit about it, but this is just plain goofy that anyone would care this much about what someone does to combat it.

Hair-raising: How LeBron, Kobe, others would look with lots on top

Joe has an article about Dana White attempting to blast Ariel Helwani up at Awful Announcinng.

My first reaction was "Well, yeah. No shit. This is nothing new." And then I realized that there is a very good possibility that 99% of the UFC fans out there don't actually know that Dana is a psychopath. For all people like us follow MMA, we still are in a very small group of people that follow the ins and outs of a business like this.

It makes me wonder if the UFC was more popular or if the UFC was covered to the same length something like the NFL does if Dana would have lasted this long as UFC president.

Joe has an article about Dana White attempting to blast Ariel Helwani up at Awful Announcinng.

My first reaction was "Well, yeah. No shit. This is nothing new." And then I realized that there is a very good possibility that 99% of the UFC fans out there don't actually know that Dana is a psychopath. For all people like us follow MMA, we still are in a very small group of people that follow the ins and outs of a business like this.

It makes me wonder if the UFC was more popular or if the UFC was covered to the same length something like the NFL does if Dana would have lasted this long as UFC president.

If you call yourself a UFC fan, and down know that Dana White is a sociopath(he isn't crazy, he has issues with societal rules), you haven't been paying any attention.

First off - thanks for reading.

I didn't expect this post to go over the way it has today (top non-pinned story on Reddit MMA for something I saw on a whim?), but here we are. Anyone with more than a cursory knowledge of MMA knows that Dana is a shithead on social media, but the only site that's ever really covered it is Deadspin, who has an axe to grind with the UFC for whatever reason.

Helwani pushes the company line pretty well for the UFC, and it's not as if he was reporting something critical here - 197 in Brazil was fucked because of their economic crash, would be moved to the US, and would have a couple of big fights on it. In the grand scheme of things, that's small potatoes. If Dana has such an issue with it, bitch at him in private - there's no gain from doing it in public on Twitter aside from making your legions of mouth breather followers happy. Then, when the report ends up being true a week later, you not only look like a petty shithead, but also someone that doesn't even know what the fuck his own company is doing.

Shit, I just thought of it. Dana White is Jim Irsay, except the vast majority of NFL fans and media know Irsay is completely insane.

Joe is doing a series on AA where fans rank the NBA announce teams by division. Similar to the MLB voting poll which I felt was 100% accurate. Which I love because I'm an announcing team nerd and have my own depth chart for most sports.

This is also the point where I mention most Warriors fans actually don't like the Warriors announcers. Because I feel this might come up.

Thanks. I don't know much of anything about the NBA and it's local crews, so I'm insanely interested to see how these results shake out. Final tally will be revealed next week sometime...really have no idea what to expect.

My favorite part about the MLB polling I did two years ago was all the people rolling in to say "so and so isn't #1? INVALID". Motherfucker, we had as many as 3,000 votes in some of these polls, don't give me talk about invalid results because your hometown crew was seventh instead of first.

Anyway, we're doing baseball again in May or June, hockey in November or December, and NFL national in probably next January. I'm tickled about the shitload of work headed my way.

Mike Francesca woke up long enough to say he is ending his show at the end of 2017.  

I am not saying I’m not gonna work again. I’m not saying I’m not gonna do anything ever again. What I’m saying is, that part of my life is ending. At the end of ‘17, that is ending. I agreed to stay through the end of ‘17. We talked about me leaving earlier. We discussed it. They didn’t really want it. They didn’t really give me a chance to get out. They never offered me a reasonable way out. So, ‘17 it is. At the end of ‘17, there will be no more FAN. That I promise.

I like that he's even being a douche about retirement.