DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

People compare it to poker and how they got shut down but it is completely different.

Poker companies weren't based in the U.S so they weren't being taxed. Fanduel and Draftkings are U.S companies.

The only thing that this will lead to is more regulation.

Greg Howard is done fucking around with Whitlock

Over the last year and a half of reporting on you and The Undefeated, I’ve spent days and days trying to get a better sense of who you are, and I’ve found that despite your bravado, you are a lonely, sad figure. You’re pitiable, and yet no one pities you, because in an attempt to match your life to your self-delusion, you hurt people. You say you are the king, and try to reach your station by stepping on people close to you, people you think are less than you. You’re sexist and racist, and even worse, you’re a bully who took pleasure in terrorizing people unfortunate enough to have faith in you, like The Undefeated executive editor Amy DuBois Barnett, and your writer Jerry Bembry, and your one-time secretary and close friend, Erin Buker. If events were just a little different, I would’ve been right there with them. That’s why you failed. That’s why you are at Fox Sports.

Greg Howard is done fucking around with Whitlock

Over the last year and a half of reporting on you and The Undefeated, I’ve spent days and days trying to get a better sense of who you are, and I’ve found that despite your bravado, you are a lonely, sad figure. You’re pitiable, and yet no one pities you, because in an attempt to match your life to your self-delusion, you hurt people. You say you are the king, and try to reach your station by stepping on people close to you, people you think are less than you. You’re sexist and racist, and even worse, you’re a bully who took pleasure in terrorizing people unfortunate enough to have faith in you, like The Undefeated executive editor Amy DuBois Barnett, and your writer Jerry Bembry, and your one-time secretary and close friend, Erin Buker. If events were just a little different, I would’ve been right there with them. That’s why you failed. That’s why you are at Fox Sports.

Flanders  Howard: (quietly) Homer,Whitlock,  you are the worst human being I have ever met.

Homer: Whitlock:  Hey, I got off pretty easy.

• Like 1

People compare it to poker and how they got shut down but it is completely different.

Poker companies weren't based in the U.S so they weren't being taxed. Fanduel and Draftkings are U.S companies.

The only thing that this will lead to is more regulation.

A month ago I was making these same points, but they might shut it down in IL, PA and FL before anyone stops to think it through.  That's a pretty big % of US population.  

Who knows at this point.

No,  I think its going to be gone. With the Feds and NY state looking into the legality of it, its going to take a huge development to stay legal. As I saw in a comments section somewhere, that "insider trading" deal a couple of weeks ago probably will be the death nell, and all this probably wouldn't be happening otherwise. . . 

I think NASA should hire every statist nanny state politician who wants to tell people how to live their lives and have them all sent out on a manned mission to the sun.

• Like 1

Rembert is going to write for NYMag. 

I've said it before, but it is crazy how much those Grantland guys seem to love Simmons.  ESPN had a brand with a bunch of young, talented, writers, that they could have built their brand upon for the next decade or so...but they fired the one person they were loyal to.

To be fair to the four letter for a second (ugh) Grantland, as much as I enjoy it's content and think it's fantastic, has been, by all accounts, not overly successful in terms of hits and such, and doubly so on anything not written by Simmons.