DVDVR Message Board

SPORTS MEDIA THREAD DEUX

Dolfan in NYC

Restarting this because Jason Whitlock is out at ESPN. 

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/10/04/jason-whitlock-espn-bought-out-fox-sports-1?xid=si_social

Richard Deitsch refers to Whitlock as "talented", so it may not be the one we're all thinking of. 

Most of Simmons's criticisms are legit but I don't agree with him complaining about not being able to go on non-ESPN radio shows. He wanted to be able to "raise his profile". From his perspective, I get it. But from ESPN's perspective, I also get it. Why help the competition?

Most of Simmons's criticisms are legit but I don't agree with him complaining about not being able to go on non-ESPN radio shows. He wanted to be able to "raise his profile". From his perspective, I get it. But from ESPN's perspective, I also get it. Why help the competition?

Because it might lead to more eyes on his shows or clicks on espn.com or grantland.com. And your talking about helping the competition for what 20 minutes every few weeks?

The funny thng that i had heard he did not want to do a lot of hits from stations around the country.. I would guess he only wanted to do WFAN and WEEI. He never even wanted to do hits for friends with ESPN affiliation,, like TK or Lebatard.

The funny thng that i had heard he did not want to do a lot of hits from stations around the country.. I would guess he only wanted to do WFAN and WEEI. He never even wanted to do hits for friends with ESPN affiliation,, like TK or Lebatard.

That wouldn't suprise me at all the couple times he was on Lebatard he came off as less then intrested in the conversation but since it was Lebatard show it could have been the gag they were going for.

Just cause he got canned doesn't mean he can't retain friendships with guys that still work there. They can't control that hopefully. It'd be amazing if it was written into ESPN employee contracts "You can't maintain friendships with ESPN competitor's employees, you must disavow them as if you're a Scientologist disavowing your family." SEA ORG! SEA ORG! SEA ORG!

• Like 1

I think this could be the beginning of the end, not that it will be soon mind you. But when your unregulated, semi-legal, you don't want attention drawn to your shadier aspects, or give anyone who wants to take you down ammunition.  I think the wax is going to melt off their wings now that have flew too close to the sun. . . .

Just cause he got canned doesn't mean he can't retain friendships with guys that still work there. They can't control that hopefully. It'd be amazing if it was written into ESPN employee contracts "You can't maintain friendships with ESPN competitor's employees, you must disavow them as if you're a Scientologist disavowing your family." SEA ORG! SEA ORG! SEA ORG!

OK guys, I was just trying to name drop, no need to jump all over me :)

Three things:

1.  Fandeul's PR spokesperson is Justine Sacco.  You can't make this shit up.

2.  She came out yesterday and said 0.3% of the total $ won on Fandeul has been won by Draftkings employees.  Which.... HOLY SHIT.  We're talking 10s of millions here.

3. Knowing the ownership % before entering a large GPP contest can make all the difference, which is the main problem with DK employees playing on other sites if they have access to that info.  Playing low owned/high upside guys is the trick to winning those huge tournaments.

Funny thing, though.. that info is already out there if you know how to look.  If you play a Thursday-Sunday contest on FD (rosters lock at first game) the ownership numbers for that specific contest will be available on Thursday night.  DraftKings, on the other hand, doesn't lock lineups until the kickoff of each game.  While the prices/rules are different between FD/DK, they are close enough where you can get a gist of who the general public is playing on DK that week. People have caught on to this little advantage.  Websites have the FD ownership % info up by Friday morning.

LOL

Yeah, these things are fucked. You had to know that when each went totally overboard with advertising to about the grossest degree imaginable that it wouldn't end well. They flew too close to the sun.

One more thing...

The controversy started because a DK employee won a big baseball GPP.  He more than likely had access to ownership % numbers to win that big GPP, but a few big wins like that doesn't get you anywhere near 0.3% of total FD winnings.  If a DK employee is able to identify their most profitable users on DraftKings AND view their lineup's prior to the roster lock date, now were getting somewhere towards explaining that 0.3% of FD winnings.  If you could just copy the best sharks you would clean up in cash games on a regular basis.  Regulation is coming no matter what, but if any information like that begins to surface the real fireworks will begin.

It's one thing to have a slight information advantage, but another entirely to copy lineups of the best players in the world.  It would be like having access to Bob Voulgaris's NBA bets before he ever official placed them.  More outright cheating than "insider information."