DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Playoffs, Round 1

Dolfan in NYC

Cubs vs Astros

Non-Cubs and Astros fans looked at each team as staring into the abyss, but each team were really looking up. For each team, it would be the culmination of a successful rebuild and a reason to believe in a process or plan to turn things around. Also, the Astros could be a doormat for another Chicago team making history.

• Like 1

Good call by someone on another board: Late start times for Mets-Dodgers first two games means no dreaded "Kershaw and Grenkie in late afternoon shadows" situation we were fearing.

Caller on WFAN: "Couldn't CC have just WAITED?!?" 

I've listened to WFAN thru TuneIn over their graveyard shows. Not sure if the guys calling in to talk sports at 2am are gonna be more surly or sympathetic to somebody aiming to recover from alcoholism.

Also, if the Yankees beat the Astros, it's Severino on Thursday, isn't it? Starting a 21 year old rookie in that setting should be interesting.

Good call by someone on another board: Late start times for Mets-Dodgers first two games means no dreaded "Kershaw and Grenkie in late afternoon shadows" situation we were fearing.

Agreed, lots of articles out there already about the shadows in Dodger Stadium and how that could play into NYM getting absolutely boondoggled by those two having to hit in the late afternoon. 

There was an article on Hardball Times last year about ballpark orientation that I enjoyed quite a bit. 

Edited by grilledcheese

There is zero percent chance the Yanks make the WS. They have already way over achieved this season so everything else is gravy.

And yes - if they win the WC, Severino will pitch Game 1, I'm assuming Tanaka pitches Game 2 on short rest and then oh dear Lord, Pineda in 3

For a guy making as much as he does, its not completely unreasonable to think that about C.C. In a regular job there's not a direct comparison to MLB's playoffs, but if say a account needed rehab, having him wait until after tax season, it wouldn't be unrealistic.  Having said that, the accountant in this example wouldn't be ripped to shreds nationally when he gets ripped for 6 runs in and inning and a half either. . . .

For a guy making as much as he does, its not completely unreasonable to think that about C.C. In a regular job there's not a direct comparison to MLB's playoffs, but if say a account needed rehab, having him wait until after tax season, it wouldn't be unrealistic.  Having said that, the accountant in this example wouldn't be ripped to shreds nationally when he gets ripped for 6 runs in and inning and a half either. . . .

yeah exactly the same people who are saying he should have waited till after the playoffs would have been ripping him for not doing it before the playoffs if he bombed in the playoffs.

NLDS tickets at Busch Stadium were sold out save for standing room, so I pressed my luck and got tickets for Game 7 of the NLCS.  Either I see someone win the NL pennant or I get my money back, so it's win-win.

Also, I'm hoping for either a Cardinals-Royals World Series or Cardinals-Astros.  Flashback to 1985 or a rehash of the summer spying scandal that went away too quickly.

Toronto radio has been full of lamenting over throwing away the chance to get home field through the AL playoffs, either the wasted games in Bawmur or trotting out Buehrle to get his innings syreak.

I don't know. I have one of those feelings the Jays will get bounced in 3 or 4 games. I am feeling like it will be a Mets vs Rangers World Series

Toronto radio has been full of lamenting over throwing away the chance to get home field through the AL playoffs, either the wasted games in Bawmur or trotting out Buehrle to get his innings syreak.

I don't know. I have one of those feelings the Jays will get bounced in 3 or 4 games. I am feeling like it will be a Mets vs Rangers World Series
Liked just for picking the Mets! But seriously I'd like a Mets-Jays World Series myself. I then could trade one of my WS tickets to John Tavares for a few game worn jerseys (he is a HUGE Jays fan). Also would be glad for RA Dickey.

There is zero percent chance the Yanks make the WS. They have already way over achieved this season so everything else is gravy.

And yes - if they win the WC, Severino will pitch Game 1, I'm assuming Tanaka pitches Game 2 on short rest and then oh dear Lord, Pineda in 3

You never know with Pineda. He's so up and down. He could go out there and strike out 16 or he could get bombed for 6 runs in 5 innings. I think a lot of it is more mental than anything else with him.

pitching a guy on Tuesday and Friday seems crazy, even for a pitcher from Japan. Using that schedule, Tanaka should be good to go for game 4 on Monday.