DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Playoffs, Round 1

Dolfan in NYC

Well, I don't really have words for this. Holy Fuck. 

I expected us to MAYBE compete for a wild card. And not a 97 win season that gets us to a wild card. I was thinking 85-87 wins would be a very great season. We win 97. Now we have the most wins of any team left. 

House Money now. We aren't supposed to be here yet. But we are here. And at this moment, we are hitting the fuck out of the ball. And we get to open the NLCS with Jake and Jon at 1-2.

• Like 1

Stats Center calls it 419 feet. My ass.

fwiw, I use ESPN's HR Tracker over Statcast, and that had it at 438...more reasonable.

The Statcast numbers have been weird at times. They called a Nelson Cruz homer that hugged the fair pole something like 485, which is just stupid.

Just to amuse myself, the shortest non-inside the parker this year was a 317 footer down the super short right field line in Fenway by Caleb Joseph on 4/17. You don't even need to look it up to know Stanton had the longest since he's a beast when he was healthy. He damn near hit one clear out of Marlins Park.

Oh, and the executives at Fox are shitting themselves. They're either getting the Cubs, Mets, or Dodgers in the WS. Guessing this will do the best numbers since '09 (at least)

What if its TO and they lose a market for the Series, even with Cubs or Mets?

I don't think I'll be able to cry again for a long long time. This has all just totally exhausted me. Yesterday was gigantic, being there and feeling the overwhelming wave of positivity was unlike anything I've ever experienced in all my years of going to games at Wrigley Field. And then tonight. Man.

This is just awesome. I think I homer for the Cubs more than just about anyone else on here and am the flag bearer for futility, so I'll just say thank you to everyone who has put up with how silly, stupid, crazy, naive, entertaining, annoying, etc. with how I've stood up for my team on here for all these years.

I'm not going to lie. Every year I think back to 2003 and Rippa, Dean and maybe Ed saying to beware Dusty's love of veteran presence and that the team wouldn't hold up. From the first game of the season, this has felt like a different team and they've continued to feel different this entire season. I also used to joke that the Cubs needed to stop holding onto not being no hit in forever so they could get past hanging onto that one stupid thing and move on to being proud of something else. I was out of town when that happened, but when it did, I was shocked and bummed. Despite that, I said to my girlfriend, "watch them make it to the World Series now."

None of this is to say that this team going that far is a certainty, but holy shit, it's finally a possibility again and it's a possibility of going through the two best teams in baseball. I'll be 35 on Halloween (also game 4 of the World Series ;) ), I have memories of watching this team all the way back to 1984 and I've been to over 60 games now. I've never experienced something quite like this and it's not over yet. That "yet" is so fucking exciting, regardless of how things end up.

• Like 7

Stroman is going on regular rest. Four days off in between his starts.

They clearly had a plan going into game 4. Any time that Dickey looked to sort of getting into any trouble, Price was going in. I didn't have a big problem with that, since Cecil went down the Jays don't have anyone good in the bullpen to take on the lefties in the Rangers lineup. I would have had Price out after the 7th, and gone straight to Sanchez to start the 8th, but no biggie.

Jeff Blair had a good point on the Sportsnet page.  Gibbons made this decision a couple of games ago if it went this far since Price's fastball isn't missing any bats right now.  If there is anymore baseball for Toronto after tomorrow the leash for David Price is going to be very short.  There's a reason Price was sat down the last 11 days of the season and it looks like the rest didn't do much for him

This has been a really exciting season as a Mets fan and I feel like for the first time in a while they're doing it the right way.  I didn't have my hopes too high for last night because I think the whole Kershaw postseason choke job talk is really blown out of proportion and I expected him to pitch really well.  Matz is really good though too.  deGrom vs. Greinke I expect will fully deliver.  When both of those guys are on, they're unhittable. 

I'm not going to lie. Every year I think back to 2003 and Rippa, Dean and maybe Ed saying to beware Dusty's love of veteran presence and that the team wouldn't hold up. 

This is the first time ever that anyone has confused Dean and Bill.  I anxiously await more to come.

But at least someone remembered me!  Whee!