DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Playoffs, Round 1

Dolfan in NYC

I realize that evil Canadian team = bad ratingzzzzzzz, but there's no good reason they are starting a playoff game in New York at 8:30 local time. while there's an afternoon game in Texas that's going to get played in 95 degree heat.

Tonight was insane at Citi. Begining had the atmosphere of a soccer riot and then the Mets just opened up a can of whoopass and it was bedlam. Best part of the entire evening was the crowd booing some idiots who were trying to start the wave.

While the board was down: the Astros went up 6-2, then blew it all in one inning, losing 9-6. Today was the 35th anniversary of the Astros blowing a lead to the Phillies in the 8th inning of the NLCS.

Also, the Mets/Dodgers game was really great until the Cespedes HR sealed the deal. It was kinda anti-climatic after that.

Man oh man, that one looked pretty good for my boys in Blue for all of about 8 minutes. 

Can't say enough about how well NYM hit tonight and Harvey working through his struggles with the hits and his inability to locate real well early on. 

I fucking hate that it all comes down to Kershaw again in a win or go home game, because if he goes out and slays the Mets, then I don't figure for him to get the praise he deserves, but if he gets beat, then all the talk will be about how he choked it away. 

Let's send this motherfucker back to LA and see what ZG does in game 5!

And sweet jesus, Cespedes tomahawked that 3 R shot, eh?

I'm pretty sure that Cespedes ball hasn't landed. This was a great day of baseball.   The Royals comeback.  Bryant and Rizzo going back-to-back.  I don't quite understand what the Jays were doing.  I get that they like Stroman but why bring Price into the game at 7-1?  Dickey had thrown what, 78 pitches?  He was fine.  I didn't get it.

John Gibbons raised a lot of eyebrows with his pitcher management today but honestly I think it all makes a hell of a lot more sense than Texas not using Gallardo in game 5. Jays really struggle against that guy, and they're not going to use him? Nope, don't get it at all, but thank you.

Dickey brought up an interesting piece of trivia in the post game press conference. Has a former Cy Young winner ever handed the ball over to another Cy Young winner in a playoff game? I mean, it's probably happened somewhere but I would have no clue where.

Unlikely, but did it ever happen when Smoltz was closing for the Braves? Or Bob Welch to Eckersley on the A's?

Eck saved something like 19 of Welch's 27 wins in 1990, but Eckersley hadn't yet won the Cy Young, nor had Welch, as he won it that year. I'm sure he must have saved a game for Welch in either 93 or 94, one sec I will check BBREF and edit in the answer.

Eckersley saved Welch's Opening Day win in 1993, so boom, there it is at least once. 

I'm an idiot, you said playoff game. I will check again.

It didn't happen with Eck and Welch, and I would venture to say it never happened with anyone else. It would have happened in game 7 of the 1965 Series, as Alston had Drysdale ready to go if Koufax had faltered, and all Sandy did was throw a 3 H CG SO.

Edited by grilledcheese

Even with a young power line-up, they must have had a good wind night for balls to be flying out of Wrigley like they were tonight. 8 total between the two teams, that's rather unusual.

Even with a young power line-up, they must have had a good wind night for balls to be flying out of Wrigley like they were tonight. 8 total between the two teams, that's rather unusual.

15-20 mph gusting to 30. Brisk but not unusual for Chicago. More to the point, it was out of the west, but four of the Cubs' HRs were hit to left or left-center.

Dickey brought up an interesting piece of trivia in the post game press conference. Has a former Cy Young winner ever handed the ball over to another Cy Young winner in a playoff game? I mean, it's probably happened somewhere but I would have no clue where.

Doc Gooden to David Cone, Game 5 of the 2000 ALCS.

As for Gallardo. Maybe there'll be a Gallardo appearance in Game 5 just to frustrate the Jays a little bit.

Some Royals fans are kinda paranoid that Keuchel could be used on Wednesday. Forgetting that Collin McHugh probably isn't leaving as quickly as Tim Hudson last year unless McHugh gets roughed up.

15-20 mph gusting to 30. Brisk but not unusual for Chicago. More to the point, it was out of the west, but four of the Cubs' HRs were hit to left or left-center.

So, they were just smashed that hard, coming out of the west like that would help to which side of the field, I'm not familiar with which way it faces, going left to right or straight out?

I'm happy that most of the guys my team dumped made the playoffs at least. Gallardo, Estrada, Gomez, I'm not sure if Fiers is doing anything or even on the postseason roster.

I'm pretty sure that Cespedes ball hasn't landed. This was a great day of baseball.   The Royals comeback.  Bryant and Rizzo going back-to-back.  I don't quite understand what the Jays were doing.  I get that they like Stroman but why bring Price into the game at 7-1?  Dickey had thrown what, 78 pitches?  He was fine.  I didn't get it.

Hopefully if the Jays get out of the first round Price can calm his playoff yips because judging by the unimpressive 3 innings he dished out today I for one am glad he isn't starting game 5

• Like 1

So, they were just smashed that hard, coming out of the west like that would help to which side of the field, I'm not familiar with which way it faces, going left to right or straight out?

From home, the wind would blow straight towards the RF foul pole.

I'm happy that most of the guys my team dumped made the playoffs at least. Gallardo, Estrada, Gomez, I'm not sure if Fiers is doing anything or even on the postseason roster.

Closest Fiers came to appearing involved speculation that he'd relieve McHugh after the rain delay on Thursday. Fiers and Kris Medlen are in similar boats. Guys that could have appeared in this series but didn't because of circumstances