DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Playoffs, Round 1

Dolfan in NYC

TURF TALK with Harold Reynolds! You all thought you escaped the scope of turf talk... He understands that the Jays played half of their games outside of the SkyDome*, right?

*Fuck Rogers.

Liked just for calling it SkyDome.

This felt like a real momentum changer (not that's a big deal) in terms of the Jays shortening up their swings and showing more patience. Why even think of using Price when it's a 5-1 ballgame and the Rangers hadn't really gotten anything going all night outside of one inning?

UPDATE: I like baseball again.

Harold Reynolds can eat my maple bacon flavoured shit.

He should be banned from all Tim Hortons in retaliation for his idiocy.

There is a place in baseball for hard, clean play, which is why I don't like the Posey rule. But that was about as far from clean as possible and I hope in his next at bat someone drills him in the ribs. . . . .

I don't like the Posey rule because of the outrage it caused in a situation where bad technique by a catcher led to a horrible injury. Not that there didn't need to be a rule change, but it should have been done well before a guy got blasted and hurt, superstar or no. It took Alex Avila, son of an executive and godson to Tommy Lasorda getting trucked 2 years later before the rule was put into effect. That is bullshit. 

Anyway, on to Utley's suspension. Warranted? Yeah, most likely but I find it strange that Torre didn't give a fuck about any takeout slide at all during his tenure in the Commissioner's office until it happened on national TV.

I love this game, but the fact of the matter is that the league doesn't have any concern about the issues within it until it threatens to impact people's perception of the game, which in turn effects MLB's bottom line. I hope that changes soon.

National tv, yes, but I think the outcome being so severe (broken freakin' leg!) forced their hand. It's what the NHL has been doing for years: deciding punishment not based on the action itself, rather the end result. It's not a very good way of doling out justice and protecting players. A dirty play is a dirty play and you should try to curb the play that leads the injuries rather than just slap a player's wrist when he severely injures another player.

National tv, yes, but I think the outcome being so severe (broken freakin' leg!) forced their hand. It's what the NHL has been doing for years: deciding punishment not based on the action itself, rather the end result. It's not a very good way of doling out justice and protecting players. A dirty play is a dirty play and you should try to curb the play that leads the injuries rather than just slap a player's wrist when he severely injures another player.

Then where was the talk of the rule change three weeks ago when Kang's leg got broken in a similar situation? I'm not trying to justify Utley's slide, but Coughlan's had the same result. The big difference is that Coughlan's slide was well out in front of the bag, but he went in legs apart, wrapped Kang's leg right at the knee and bang, broken leg. 

I know there were a few mentions of it leading to a rule change, but I don't recall Torre making his opinion known. That's my issue with the way it is being handled. 

It happened on national TV, in the playoffs, with a vicious aftermath, to a large market team, and they were pissed off immediately. The only one for those that was true for the Kang slide was the vicious aftermath, and I can't even remember if they brought the cart out for him.

Re: Price. Sunday was his throw day, and the Jays only have one lefty in the pen after Cecil's injury. If shit got hairy in the later innings, they could have needed him for Choo/Fielder, but it never got there.

They blew it by not calling interference.

However...

The review was correct. It's black and white - if a review shows the defender didn't touch the bag AND the runner also didn't, the runner is safe. That's right in the rules.

But it was interference before that.

That's not in the case of interference though, that's in normal play. What kind of sense do you think it makes to say your interference is legal as long as you can keep the defender off the bag?

Utley suspended for games 3-4. He's appealing. If that means he's on the roster tonight, I cannot wait for the reaction to him getting introduced during the pregame. If they're smart, he won't be within two zip codes of Shea.

Speculation on TO radio this mornng was that Stroman might start game 5, although (naturally) its all hands on deck tonight,

Stroman would likely be the best choice based on form, but i dont know how you skip your ace, especially if you risk ticking him off and harming your chances (albeit slim) of resigning him.

If you're going to win the World Series you need Price to do it and I really don't think there's any hiding from that. I say put him out there and face this (either real or imagined) playoff demon, and let's get it over with one way or the other.

Assuming there is a game 5 of course. Hahaha. Dickey is tonight right? So either it's gonna be like 8 scoreless innings or a tire fire.