DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Playoffs, Round 1

Dolfan in NYC

It's pretty amazing.  It's not like his leg broke on the play after he was taken out, like Utley took his feet out from under him and he broke his leg landing.

Utley's knee broke Tejada's leg because Utley threw his knee into Tejada's leg.  Shit, that's not a clean hit in the NFL.

If he'd actually gone for the bag I could at least see the (still incorrect) defense of it, but he basically starts to slide around the bag, never gets near it, and just clatters through the guy.

It's not even really a "slide" in the meaningful baseball sense. It's just a dirty play.

I won't defend the slide, as it was late as shit, and it's not the first time that Utley has taken Tejada out. I will however make the point that the slide didn't have any effect on the subsequent 2B's to bring in the next three runs. 

No way was Tejada going to get a throw off that got Kendrick at 1B, not with his back to the bag and just starting the pirouette when Utley hit him. I'm not sure how Utley isn't hurt, he got fucking CREAMED by the left knee. 

I figure Harvey drills him in game 3, and things get real fucking ugly.

What was the outlook on the board when Holliday bulldozed Scutaro in the 2012 NLCS? Or when Kelly drilled Hanley in game 1 of the 13 CS? Both of those were just as egregious as Utley's slide tonight.

According to an article on CBS's web site, roughly 42% of all called 3rd strikes so far this year have actually been balls. That's in comparison to roughly 10% of all pitches.

Stats like that should make MLB seriously consider electronic ball/strike calls.

• Like 3

Over the last 10 years or so, umpiring has gotten so fucking bad it's not even funny. At least now with the replay system, they have a shot at correcting the on-field side of things. 

I'm sure that they will go to electronic balls and strikes, since Pitch/FX apparently can do the adjustments for individual strike zones on the fly with minimal adjustment to the existing calibrations that they already do. I don't think it will happen anytime real soon, but it's coming.

They used it to call a San Rafael Pacifics / Vallejo Admirals game back in July. There are some issues with the way it actually works, since it doesn't track the ball all the way into the catcher's mitt, it stops a little short and then predicts from trajectory where that pitch would have crossed the zone.

• Like 1

According to an article on CBS's web site, roughly 42% of all called 3rd strikes so far this year have actually been balls. That's in comparison to roughly 10% of all pitches.

Stats like that should make MLB seriously consider electronic ball/strike calls.

Man, the more I think about this, the more it irritates me. The umps are getting it wrong 3 times out of every 7. 3 out of 7! That's just insane.

In the regular season, the number was 25%, btw.

The article basically was saying "you're not imagining things -the strike zone gets bigger in the playoffs".

It also depends on the player and the pitcher, if you're a star they'll give you leeway. Same old bullshit. Utley should have his arm broken by a 100 mph heater all things being even karma-wise. I say lower the mound so you're pitching out of a pit in the middle of the field. That will increase the offense! Also, switch to aluminum softball bats and make the players not allowed to use gloves. I should be Commish.

Well if was called right, Utley would have been out at second. Also, butterfly effect and what not, without the slide and the delay, there's no way of knowing what happens after that.

Actually, the play was called right. Keith Law and a bunch of BP guys online have been taking shit from fans over defending the umps. But, if you look at the rulebook the call they made was the right call based on the rules that are in place for when the Utley "not touching the bag" scenario played out.

They blew it by not calling interference.

However...

The review was correct. It's black and white - if a review shows the defender didn't touch the bag AND the runner also didn't, the runner is safe. That's right in the rules.

But it was interference before that.

They blew it by not calling interference.

However...

The review was correct. It's black and white - if a review shows the defender didn't touch the bag AND the runner also didn't, the runner is safe. That's right in the rules.

But it was interference before that.

The problem with them calling interference there is that they generally never call interference in that situation. It's a way of calling the game that has been so burned into the heads of the umps that them calling interference there would have been more conspicuous.

I get that. But here's the thing - by not calling interference, the umpires are saying that a runner who is out (as Utley was before the change) is allowed to knock down a defensive player. That makes no sense.

So, bring in Carrera as a pinch runner with fewer than two outs and have him take out Odor. Why not? It's just two games. And Carrera would have a new nickname!

4138800411.jpg

This is in jest. I do not want anybody to attempt to injure another player.

So destroying a guys career gets you two games. What a joke. Obvious they did this to prevent Utley from going onto the field in NY and a very ugly situation from occuring.