DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Playoffs, Round 1

Dolfan in NYC

A friend of mine who had been a Sox fan his entire life is now a Cubs fan. How I know he isn't a real Cubs fan? During Wednesday's game, he was bragging about dominating the Pirates in the 5th inning. Because a true Cubs fan knows they've never blown a game in the late innings. I'm with you, man. It's pretty unbearable right now.

The Cubs now need to win one non-Lester/Arrieta start to win the series. Good luck.

Also, their offense has been dogshit outside of Schwarber. Five times on base tonight, three were Schwarber. Schwarber also had two of their seven hits against the Pirates. Bryant and Rizzo have been complete non-factors.

*tip of the hat* congrats to the Cards on game one. Ump sucked, but what can you do.

The Cubs fans who are jumping off a damned bridge right now are annoying the fuck out of me.

You mean, it's not over?!

pta-has-disbanded.gif

Joe's right though, the offense needs to get going. But, WHO ARE YOU TO DOUBT KYLE HENDRICKS?!

They were going to lose, and it's only game one. It sucks sure, but Lackey pitched great and we didn't capitalize on the few mistakes he did make. I have a lot of confidence in Hendricks tomorrow actually, and in the resiliency of this team as a whole. 

Maybe Kershaw doesn't have an October problem. Maybe Mattingly has an October problem.

Last year in the NLDS comes to mind. Leave him in too long, it all goes to pot. Pull him too quick, it all goes to pot.

Since the Royals game overlapped the end of Rangers/Jays and the start of Cardinals/Cubs, here's a summary!

The Royals went down 3-0. Got a solo HR from Perez. Colby Rasmus hit a solo HR (his 73rd career homer at Kauffman) to make it 4-1.

KC scored their next 4 runs as follows:

Run 2: runner on 3rd (Rios) scores on a non-inning ending GIDP

Run 3: Cain breaks for 3rd because Oliver Perez did an elaborate leg kick, Cain scores on a Hosmer bloop

Run 4: Salvador Perez 4 pitch walk!

Run 5: Alcides Escobar scores from 3rd on a single. Escobar got a triple since the CF couldn't hear the RF due to the noise at Kauffman

They also got hits going against Houston's elaborate shifts. Instead of last night, where they kept ramming their heads into the wall hitting to the 3 infielder side of the infield.

So the Royals don't face Keuchel in Houston in an elimination game!

Anyways, Dodgers/Mets might be interesting in the 9th!

Mattingly was the only one who thought Baez would be a better option there than keeping Clay. 

Mattingly manages a pitching staff really poorly. Even with the bases juiced, I think Kersh is your guy. Wright had nothing for him in the 2 ABs previous.

Maybe Kershaw doesn't have an October problem. Maybe Mattingly has an October problem.

Last year in the NLDS comes to mind. Leave him in too long, it all goes to pot. Pull him too quick, it all goes to pot.

I don't believe that there is anything wrong with Kershaw in October. He now has something like 6 quality starts out of 9, but only a 1-6 overall record in the playoffs. Granted, 2 of those L's have been absolute shellings at the hands of STL, but it's not like he became some new version of Shawn Estes.

I don't know if it was too quick in the grand scheme of things, but I don't particularly like the idea of deciding that a guy he has K'd twice already is not a good matchup. Donnie I think is of the idea that he will need to go back to #22 in game 4, but if Kersh gets the out there, then if the pen can hold off NYM T8, Gonzalez then has a game tying 1B instead of a consolation run.

I don't want to take anything away from deGrom, either, what a gem.

Cuddyer in LF is probably not the best option, though.

Edited by grilledcheese

Cuzzi's strike zone was fucking horrible. Of the 6 strikeouts looking against the Cubs, 4 were pitches outside the zone. This happened once to the Cards. This doesn't even get into the times the Cubs didn't get a walk because of a bullshit strike outside the zone.

Whatever, the bigger problem is lack of offense. Cubs need to wake the fuck up.

Now it's up to the two Kyles to tie the series up. Wonderful.

The TBS zone was slightly different from the MLB Gameday zone. Meaning that pitches lower than the TBS zone were in the Gameday zone.

There were some differences, but most zones tend to agree Cuzzi didn't call an amazing game. 14 pitches that were not touching the strike zone called strikes, 11 of them against the Cubs. It was consistent, just bad.

I was in standing room directly behind home plate.  Like, lined up with it.  That was one of the widest strike zones I've seen in a while.  We have to swing the bats, though.  They need to adjust to the way the game is being called.  

I think they come out more aggressive today.