DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Under the radar the biggest story of the day to me is the Marlins non-tendering, AKA completely releasing, Henderson Alvarez one year after finishing 12th for the Cy Young instead of giving him 4 million.

Dolfan, as a friend, I really hate to see you be a fan of that team.

The Marlins team President said, "Given our challenges, we have to have our dollars on the field performing for us."

Sounds like what JP Riccardi said the day they non-tendered Chris Carpenter when he was rehabbing from an injury

I think the Yankees should totally take a chance on Alvarez. It can't be any worse than currently having Ivan Nova. 

Where exactly would they play him?

Chase Headley is locked in at 3B. Plus you have A-Rod's dozen vanity starts there. Plus, you don't want Alvarez playing third anymore

Teixeira and Bird are at 1B. Plus, Headley when again, A-Rod is getting his vanity starts. (Not to mention McCann)

A-Rod and the corpse of Carlos Beltran are at DH (And Tex AND McCann)

There are cheaper better 4th outfielders (not to mention Alvarez never playing OF in his life)

I like Pedro Alvarez but there is no good fit for him on the Yanks (and not to mention he will be offered a full time gig somewhere).

Unless you were implying Alvarez should pitch (since you brought up Nova). That would be... outside the box...

He may be more of a catcher, perhaps a power bottom...I've gone too far, I blame IASIP. Ask his wife for inquiries. She's the daughter of the Brewers new bench coach/former interim Padres manager, how random.

He also doesn't have a ton of mileage on his arm and throws reeeeeally hard. Still some projection left in him, even going on 31.

It also depends on where the Cubs place him in the rotation. Let's say they don't make a trade for a high end arm, and instead sign Shark and someone like a Leake. I have no issues with a rotation that goes Arietta, Lester, Leake, Shark, Hendricks. 

• Like 1

Something else to keep in mind with Shark/Cubs - just say he gets 5/100 from them at a straight 20 per year. Because of how young this team is, they're *still* not over 100MM in payroll for the last four years of the contract. Yes, Arrieta and Bryant and the rest of the kids will get expensive sooner rather than later, but the Cubs don't exactly have a number of Soriano-esque contracts on the ledger.

Plus, they're the Cubs. They print money.

Under the radar the biggest story of the day to me is the Marlins non-tendering, AKA completely releasing, Henderson Alvarez one year after finishing 12th for the Cy Young instead of giving him 4 million.

Dolfan, as a friend, I really hate to see you be a fan of that team.

Yesterday was busy, I hadn't read about this until just now.    

XTmFGvZ.gif

The last bit of my vacation relaxation is just speeding out the window.   Sigh. 

They don't print as much as you think. I'm still hoping that they sign Heyward, but again, that's favorite player not on my team that I want on my team kind of talk.

I also don't want Shark because I think he's a whiner and a douchebag.

Mets GM Sandy Alderson will miss the Winter Meetings as he has been diagnosed with cancer.

Mets say Alderson will continue in role but might be limited at times. Assistant GM John Ricco will fill in when necessary (like at the Winter Meetings)

Miami MarlinsVerified account

‏@Marlins
Joining the #Marlins in 2016 will be:
• Tim Wallach, bench coach
• Juan Nieves, pitching coach
• Barry Bonds, hitting coach

Greinke to the Diamondbacks.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

trying-to-remember.gif

I don't get it. It's not like the Dodgers couldn't outbid the Diamondbacks, so WHY?

Lackey to the Cubs is nice but the second year could be really dodgy.