DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Can they find takers for Hanley and Pablo? $190MM in contracts for absolute dogshit play. I don't know if Ramirez is saleable at this point, and do you really want to be saddled with Sandoval for another year of zero offense and rapidly declining defense in the hopes he can fill the hole left by Ortiz' retirement?

All the talent in the world, and he just can't stay away from the buffet long enough to maximize it.

Can they find takers for Hanley and Pablo? $190MM in contracts for absolute dogshit play. I don't know if Ramirez is saleable at this point, and do you really want to be saddled with Sandoval for another year of zero offense and rapidly declining defense in the hopes he can fill the hole left by Ortiz' retirement?

All the talent in the world, and he just can't stay away from the buffet long enough to maximize it.

I'd eat part of Hanley's contract and move him so you could slot Shaw at first. I'm willing to accept a 3rd in the AL East in 2016 if it sets us up for a division win in 2017 and down the road. Developing guys like Shaw will do that for us. 

I'd also eat part of Sandoval's contract, but I'd wonder who you slot at 3rd. Brock Holt? 

The Sox need another 2012 Dodgers to come along and take some of our bad contracts. 

People always say "I'd never take [insert name of big money free agent who is given a ludicrous contract and underachieves]" and yet teams continuously find suckers trade partners willing to take them off their hands. The Dodgers cleaned up Boston's last mess, the Tigers got a reprieve from Prince thanks to Texas, Texas returned the favor by relieving the Angels of Hamilton's contract, etc etc.

I really don't think there's any such thing as an "untradeable contract" in this day and age. There's always somebody willing to give you a Get out of Jail Free Card.

But the Dodgers got Adrian Gonzalez out of that, who is at least a solid a starting 1B, which is what Fielder was this year as well, and the Hamilton deal was fucking atrocious for the Angels. 

And none of those contracts were as bad as what any team will have to take on for Hanley (coming off a -1.8 WAR season) and Pablo (-2.0 WAR). who were probably the 2 least valuable players in baseball last year. 

The Rangers are only on the hook for something like $5 million total on Hamilton. That's just good business, even if he's only an average starter.

At least with Fielder, Texas gave up a contract in Ian Kinsler to help balance the books a little bit.

The Hanley/Pablo thing is another issue, because their markets were never crazy, they signed early, they both got overpaid, they both had dreadful years, and they both look like future DHs. If Boston were able to move either, they would need to pair one with a better asset (an aforementioned OF, probably), and still eat money...and they still probably wouldn't get much back.

I mean, the Braves essentially gave up nothing to take on Bronson Arroyo's contract and a top 100 prospect in Touki Toussaint...and Arroyo was owed something like $13 million total. Moving either of those guys won't be an easy sell...unless they take on another bad contract in return

Bingo.  The Sox have some prospects. so that's a plus.  But the Sox are going to have to package prospects with those fat contracts to get rid of either Hanley or Panda.  But honestly, I'm not certain 100% why you'd rush to move either right now - it's not like the Sox are set at those two positions otherwise.   IF (giant if of course) Hanley can play 1B even passably then he's an upgrade offensively over the crud the Sox rolled out last year.  Panda is Panda and...well...shrug...what else do the Sox have for 3B?  

Of course, one problem with trying to move Panda and Hanley is both can block trades to 3 teams (according to Cots' Contracts page, tho the 3 teams for either are not listed), so you have to hope they aren't blocking sugar daddies who would eat the contracts.

On the bright side, with Papi retiring after 2016, the Sox can move one of them to DH in 2017.

Jeff Samardzija is throwing down the gauntlet telling teams he has $100 million on the table.

That fucking better not be from the Cubs...I'm guessing it's Arizona since Cueto told them no.

Jeff Samardzija is throwing down the gauntlet telling teams he has $100 million on the table.

That fucking better not be from the Cubs...I'm guessing it's Arizona since Cueto told them no.

LOL. Dude has a terrible year and teams are offering him $100m? Anybody that pays him anywhere close to that deserves whatever they get. Is it REALLY that hard to find a guy who will lead the league in hits allowed, earned runs, and home runs allowed for you?

LOL. Dude has a terrible year and teams are offering him $100m? Anybody that pays him anywhere close to that deserves whatever they get. Is it REALLY that hard to find a guy who will lead the league in hits allowed, earned runs, and home runs allowed for you?

For what it's worth, if you're going by the current dollar amount per WAR, he would be valued at close to $100 million. So we're talking 5/20. Who knows what last year meant in the grand scheme of things. Supposedly the White Sox pitching coach and Shark weren't a good fit and part of his success with the Cubs was how Bosio tunes his coaching to the needs of the player. I would put Shark closer to $80 million personally.

An $80 million I hope that the Cubs don't spend on him.

For what it's worth, if you're going by the current dollar amount per WAR, he would be valued at close to $100 million. So we're talking 5/20. Who knows what last year meant in the grand scheme of things. Supposedly the White Sox pitching coach and Shark weren't a good fit and part of his success with the Cubs was how Bosio tunes his coaching to the needs of the player. I would put Shark closer to $80 million personally.

An $80 million I hope that the Cubs don't spend on him.

The reality is that he's a guy who's had one decent year as a starter, one very good year, on mediocre year, and one terrible year.

If this were after 2014, maybe, MAYBE, you can justify paying him top dollar. But that year looks like an outlier.