DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Brett Anderson took the QO, and he is the last of the 20. Estrada bypasses the process with a multiyear deal, which I believe also lifts the no trade until 6/15 clause in the QO language.

Not that I think TOR will deal him, but I suppose it is possible.

Brandon Crawford gets extended by SFG, terms are reportedly 6 @ $75MM.

If he continues to improve on the offensive side of the ball, I can definitely understand paying him like the rest of elite SS in the league are paid. If the stick regresses to its former level, then his D is so goddamned good, it's not like SFG is losing out.

Great fucking infield core that is pretty young there. Goddamn them.

How does Terry Collins finish third in Manager of the Year voting? Granted he makes occasional questionable moves, but still. He managed a team that literally nobody thought could win their division to the crown. He did this dealing with owners who wouldn't spend money and playing much of the season with one of the worst MLB lineups in living memory. Nobody got more out of less than he did.

Well, there's no real criteria for it. Essentially, it gets voted on as the "team I thought would be bad that actually wasn't bad" award or the "team that was bad last year that was good this year" award.

That seems like how it is in most sports, the Jack Adams award in the NHL is pretty much a kiss of death. The best coaches never actually win it. Mike Babcock never has, Joel Quenneville did 15 years ago, long before he started winning cups. Scotty Bowman won two, 20 years apart.

Someone on toronto radio just called David Price "a phony" because he professed all that love for the jays but has no chance of re-signing with them. And should they have traded Daniel Norris for him?

Bloom fell off that rose quickly.

Someone on toronto radio just called David Price "a phony" because he professed all that love for the jays but has no chance of re-signing with them. And should they have traded Daniel Norris for him?

That will happen when you sell off the future to win now...and don't. 

Bloom fell off that rose when he went 0-for in the playoffs.  I cant wait till this team starts falling down and everyone blames Mark Shapiro and not the guy that traded away 6 MLB starters, with potentially a couple more coming,  and the guy he decided to keep is probably better suited to stay in the bullpen

There are starting to be rumors that Jose Fernandez is likely to be traded this off-season. Which, holy shit, he's gonna get a kings ransom and the Marlins are such a terrible organization.

And the rumors are apparently because some reporters are drawing conclusions from the "attitude" of a 23 year old kid who knows he's one of the best pitchers in baseball acting like a 23 year old kid who knows he's one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Why in the world would Miami trade away a top 5 pitcher that they have under price control for the next 3 years.  

Because They're The Fucking Marlins

Context for how much of a dumpster fire this franchise is: Fernandez is 19th all-time in WAR in the team's entire history (per B-R). He's thrown 289 career innings.

Giancarlo Stanton is third. He turned 26 a week and a half ago.