DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

You are aware the previous season saw us win the division with the best record in the league right?

Which has exactly nothing to do with whether they collapsed in late 2007.

You are aware the previous season saw us win the division with the best record in the league right?

Which has exactly nothing to do with whether they collapsed in late 2007.
You said the 2007 team wasn't as good as their record. How were they the best team in the league the year before? Did they really get that much worse in one year?

Wow. Totally blanked on Randolph being fired in the middle of 08. So yeah. Collapse, singular. Not certain how you don't call 07 a collapse. I mean, I get the concept of the Mets playing over their heads all year then coming back to earth. But that September...eesh. It looks painful even now.

They were 14-14 in September, after 15-13 in August and 13-14 in July.

In other words, their September was exactly like their previous two months - "not a collapse".

I get regression to the mean.  The Mets played over their heads early and came back to earth.  But a team with a 7 game lead on September 12th losing 12 of their last 17 pretty much defines collapse.

Wow. Totally blanked on Randolph being fired in the middle of 08. So yeah. Collapse, singular. Not certain how you don't call 07 a collapse. I mean, I get the concept of the Mets playing over their heads all year then coming back to earth. But that September...eesh. It looks painful even now.

In other words, their September was exactly like their previous two months - "not a collapse".

I get regression to the mean.  The Mets played over their heads early and came back to earth.  But a team with a 7 game lead on September 12th losing 12 of their last 17 pretty much defines collapse.

Or even that they were up 2.5 with a week left and lost 6 of their last 7

I mean by this logic I am going to say the 04 Yanks didn't choke

I get regression to the mean. The Mets played over their heads early and came back to earth. But a team with a 7 game lead on September 12th losing 12 of their last 17 pretty much defines collapse.

Streaky teams gonna streak. They were 9-1 right before the 12th. Which one is reality?

What's the point of hiring a manager at a 1 or even a 2 year deal? Are they waiting for someone else to become available?

Pretty much, yeah. It's a total we don't have any better ideas at the moment and we don't want to get stuck paying you for another 2 or 3 years after you get fired move.

Who the hell knows what this team is going to look like in the next year or two. Other than Scherzer and Werth, aren't most of their players contracts down after this year and next?

Just off the top of my head: Jordan Zimmerman, Doug Fister, Denard Span, and Ian Desmond are free agents. Their notable free agents after next year are Strasburg, Papelbon, and Drew Storen.

1503360983024165702.jpg

From Deadspin, in KC. . . . 

My friend in KC said local authorities were expecting 200k to 300k people and they wound up with way over 600k. People were apparently parking their cars on the highway to walk to the celebration.

Jesus. If the turn out is like this for the Royals, what's it going to be like for the Cubs if they ever make it? 1 million or more people in one spot seems like so many horrible things could happen.

Oh and the Dodgers will be interviewing Bud Black now that he is available again.

Depending on who you read - the Dodgers appear to be doing an intensive search and plan on interviewing at least 10 people and to not read too much into reports that Gabe Kapler is the "front-runner"

1503360983024165702.jpg

From Deadspin, in KC. . . .

My friend in KC said local authorities were expecting 200k to 300k people and they wound up with way over 600k. People were apparently parking their cars on the highway to walk to the celebration.

Jesus. If the turn out is like this for the Royals, what's it going to be like for the Cubs if they ever make it? 1 million or more people in one spot seems like so many horrible things could happen.

The Blackhawks got 2 million in Chicago. So I'd think the Cubs parade is gonna top that

The Blackhawks got 2 million in Chicago. So I'd think the Cubs parade is gonna top that

And that includes Patrick Kane, so it's very likely that horrible things did happen.

• Like 1

Was it 2 million? I thought I saw something disputing that number, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were that amount.

Something else my friends and I were kicking around was the Dusty signing signaling the end of Zimmerman's time in DC. If I were his agent, I'd be looking to stay as far away from Dusty as possible.

I'm not the biggest Blackhawks fan but I did go downtown for the celebration in 2010 with the ticker tape and that was pretty amazing. If the Cubs win, even with the Cubs/White Sox split, it will be incredible because I am sure lots of out of towners will come to soak in the celebration.