DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Man, I just looked at the Dodgers' contracts and what a nightmare. Crawford for another two years at >$20 million, Ethier even with his mini renaissance at $20 million for $17 million through 2018 is gross, broken down douchebag Chutley at $13.5 million until 2018, Bronson Arroyo and Brandon McCarthy both making north of $10 million for another season at least. ~$82 million tied up in three players (Kershaw and Greinke, maybe worth it because of the Dodgers money and they attract a tonne of fans, A-Gon not so much). Then they're paying massive sums to players to play for other teams; Baseball Prospectus has them paying $40 million for Kemp, Wilson, Dee freakin' Gordon, and Dan Haren. That can't be right, can it?! Good thing money is like water to the Dodgers organization.

Kendrick and Anderson are the only key free agents, but you'd like to think they'll probably go after a big name free agent outfielder (Upton?) and a starter to replace Anderson even with Ryu returning. Grilledcheese, what do you foresee the Dodgers doing this winter and what's your take on their contract situation because I'm losing my damn mind just looking at the wastefulness.

I am actually not all that bothered by the outpouring of money to other clubs, because it allows them to have some interesting flexibility when attempting to deal guys. They don't give a single fuck about cash, they sold 3,000,000 tickets before Spring Training was over, and that piece of shit TV deal that means your local fanbase can't watch you was worth 8.3 BILLION over 25 years.

The payments for guys not on the club will go down substantially in 2016, Utley is now a club option that will get declined, Rollins is gone now that Seager has shown he can handle this level, Arroyo will be gone immediately after the WS concludes, and he's sure to catch on somewhere else so they won't be responsible for his deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if they eat a big chunk of CC's deal and ship him off somewhere, average defensively with no arm and none of the speed that made him such an offensive threat.

I'm not sure they make any pursuit of OF this winter, I figure them to be in major on top-tier pitching, both starting and relief. Zimmermann, Price, Cueto all have to be options for them. Not a ton of big-time relief guys out there, but I could see them taking a shot on a guy like David Hernandez. 

They have a ton of pitching coming along from the farm, and not a great deal of position players, at least not close enough to count on for 2016. I figure that they get Greinke back, maybe at somewhere close to 5 @ $150 MM. If they are paying Kershaw that kind of money, and Greinke has been every bit his equal as far as importance, there's no way they shouldn't offer it to him. Anderson might get another 1 year deal to be a 5 hole starter.

Boston is going to have a whole lot of trouble getting out from under those two. I figure they will be able to offload one, but not both. My assumption is that the eat a bunch of money and give up a couple of decent prospects and knock Hanley off to someone, as I feel like Sandoval has a higher upside because of his defensive play being so much better than Hanley.

Not surprisingly - Zack Grienke is going to opt out of his deal with the Dodgers

That would actually knock the Dodgers commitments next year down to about $150 million (of course - it's not like they aren't going to spend the $26 million earmarked to Grienke elsewhere)

Of course they would probably end up just signing him to a new deal

Yeah, I'm not sure there was any question once he started putting together those numbers this year that he was going to opt out. I figure they will resign him, but Friedman has shown some opposition to putting together multi-year deals for pitchers over 30. 

I really hope they can come to terms, he's 51-15 since coming over to LA. With the questions at the back end of the rotation, I feel like he is a must sign. Anderson was passable and I was really happy to see him stay healthy and eat innings and be productive, but McCarthy is still a big question mark, and we will see how Ryu fares when he comes back.

I wonder if they will go after Darren O'Day, that bullpen needs help, and I feel like he would be a good addition.

That's the kid that road tripped his way to Spring Training in a Westfalia, correct? That's really unfortunate, but as Oyaji said, most folks survive it, and they don't typically have the advantage of access to the absolute best in medical treatment.

Here's hoping everything goes well for him.

That's the kid that road tripped his way to Spring Training in a Westfalia, correct? That's really unfortunate, but as Oyaji said, most folks survive it, and they don't typically have the advantage of access to the absolute best in medical treatment.

Here's hoping everything goes well for him.

That's the one.

B7_oAVZIUAA25uw.0.jpg

Awesome curveball.

Interesting that the Tigers knew about the condition before the trade. Hope everything goes ok with his surgery, Norris seemed like a real down to earth good guy.

And it was discovered when he was optioned to AAA back in April, so his doctor obviously didn't think that they needed to do anything more than monitor it if he was allowed to keep playing, sounds like he shouldn't have too much trouble beating it.

He's a super young kid in top-flight physical condition, I'm sure that will help.

WELCOME CUBS FANS!

For some solace...

In the 1989 playoff tree, there were only the LCS and World Series- two rounds of playoffs.

By the Cubs winning the Wild Card game and then the Divisional Playoff round- the Cubs did advance two rounds of the playoffs, so technically the BTTF prediction was close enough to be a yes.

Welp, now to try to go get Price and Heyward.

My wish list is Heyward (I've wanted him for a long time now) or Cespedes (came close to being a Cub once already), but I highly doubt they get either.

I'm guessing they pick up another SP and probably not price. Castro and/or Schwarber will be traded, as much as I don't want to see either go.

Only way we trade Castro and Schwarber is if we get a really good, young, cost controlled SP. 

The Cubs are going to do something to address CF. It's a big need. Maybe we re-sign Fowler, but if not, they will make a decently big move there. 

SP is an interesting market. We won't get Greinke, nor do I want to pay him for an unsustainable season. Price is the top pitcher on the market still to me. If we don't get him, there is a sizable drop off after those 2. I think the Cubs are going to target Price, and push very very strongly early on.

Only way we trade Castro and Schwarber is if we get a really good, young, cost controlled SP.

The Cubs are going to do something to address CF. It's a big need. Maybe we re-sign Fowler, but if not, they will make a decently big move there.

SP is an interesting market. We won't get Greinke, nor do I want to pay him for an unsustainable season. Price is the top pitcher on the market still to me. If we don't get him, there is a sizable drop off after those 2. I think the Cubs are going to target Price, and push very very strongly early on.

If the Cubs and White Sox could stop hating each other, what about Schwarber and Castro for Jose Quintana and Adam Eaton?