DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Brewers dumped a bunch of coaches, but that's not surprising with the new GM and technically new coach. New coaches usually bring in their own guys anyway, but Counsell kept them probably as a favor. He'll probably bring in the fired Padres interim dude and who knows who else.

Not only was Williams fired but the entire coaching staff as well. That was a scorched earth policy that even Dan Snyder hasn't done

Sad day for us Mets fans. I still say he deserves to be voted a full playoff share for all he did for us. Hope he enjoys his next managerial job in either the Can-Am or Pecos League.

I'm thinking South Korea, or (maybe) Japan. . . .
The idea of Williams pulling a Stephan Marbury and becoming a god in an Asian country complete with statue amuses me.

Not only was Williams fired but the entire coaching staff as well. That was a scorched earth policy that even Dan Snyder hasn't done

Sad day for us Mets fans. I still say he deserves to be voted a full playoff share for all he did for us. Hope he enjoys his next managerial job in either the Can-Am or Pecos League.
I'm thinking South Korea, or (maybe) Japan. . . .
The idea of Williams pulling a Stephan Marbury and becoming a god in an Asian country complete with statue amuses me.

To be fair, I didn't say he would be good over there. . . .

From Deadspin, again quoting the washington post. . .http://deadspin.com/bruce-bochy-was-giddily-incredulous-with-how-matt-wil-1734822678

In the seventh inning of a tie game, with the Nationals facing elimination, Williams tabbed rookie Aaron Barrett to pitch out of a jam. In the other dugout, according to a person familiar with the situation, Giants Manager Bruce Bochy turned giddily incredulous that Williams had not instead chosen all-star Tyler Clippard, whom Bochy feared because of his experience and ability to face both left-handed and right-handed hitters. As Barrett warmed up, the person said, Bochy expressed to one of his coaches that Williams’s decision had just given the Giants the series. Two walks and a flurry of wild pitches later, the winning run scored and Bochy’s prediction came true. Clippard never saw the mound, and neither did Drew Storen or Stephen Strasburg.

Looking forward served as Williams’s operating philosophy from the moment he took over. He laid out every spring training workout, down to the minute, by January. As he worked with his staff on the plan and fretted about detail, one coach told him, “Matt, relax, we’re two months away from spring training.”

So long Lloyd. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Quite a few coaches were either dismissed or re-assigned as well. The only ones keeping their jobs are infield coach Chris Woodward and hitting coach Edgar Martinez. Rumor has it Tim Bogar is an early favorite to be the new skipper

I hope they hire Dale Sveum. He can teach them proper bunting technique and lead them to a mighty 60 win season as he benches power guys in spots that require them so he can try a suicide squeeze with a guy on second to try and get him home.

I'm still incredulous the Mariners bought their Ferrari (well, in their minds) and decided to hand the keys to Lloyd freakin' McClendon in the first place. Granted nobody was going to win with the Pirates back when he managed them but he was such an utter boob I figured no way he'd ever get another managing job. Mariners would've been better off hiring John Russell - only the 2nd worst guy to manage them during the Dark Ages.

I really hope somebody hires Maddon's right hand man, Davey Martinez. I swear he's been bandied about for like 8 coaching jobs since the Rays became a thing 6-7 years ago and yet NOBODY will seem to give him a shot. Not sure if there's something we don't know in his background or what but it baffles me he never gets a shot.

Friend of mine that's a Pirates fans: "I am SHOCKED that the 2002 Pirates coaching staff wouldn't lead a team to the playoffs a decade later!"

The Dave Martinez thing is weird - he's interviewed for at least half a dozen managerial jobs, and hasn't gotten one. All accounts are that he'd be a great hire. There has to be something else there. Kind of reminds me of the Kim Ng thing - she's interviewed for plenty of GM jobs, and there has to be something else keeping her from getting hired aside from "she's a woman"...right?

Also, hiring someone for an advanced position solely to "break barriers" is an awful idea.

I'm still incredulous the Mariners bought their Ferrari (well, in their minds) and decided to hand the keys to Lloyd freakin' McClendon in the first place. Granted nobody was going to win with the Pirates back when he managed them but he was such an utter boob I figured no way he'd ever get another managing job. Mariners would've been better off hiring John Russell - only the 2nd worst guy to manage them during the Dark Ages.

What's bothered me is that for his entire tenure, Jack Z kept building a team that is exactly the opposite of what you need in a park like Safeco. You need athletic outfielders who can cover a lot of ground in a hurry yet he would keep picking up guys like Mike Morse, Corey Hart, Logan Morrison and Mark Trumbo. It's like he wanted to win in spite of Safeco, not because of it. And speaking of managers, between Wedge and McClendon I have had my fill of these old school "Play the matchups, trust the veterans" guys. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Dipoto remakes the team.

Hi guys!! I guess I will just hang out in here until February or so. 

So, I figure Ron Roenicke just got promoted to skipper after tonight. All that talent and no postseason series wins to show for it? Players do the work, but managers have to take the heat. I don't think I will miss Mattingly's terrible usage of a pitching staff, but I don't really have much bad to say about him. He has handled the club and its issues pretty well over his tenure. 

Man, I just looked at the Dodgers' contracts and what a nightmare. Crawford for another two years at >$20 million, Ethier even with his mini renaissance at $20 million for $17 million through 2018 is gross, broken down douchebag Chutley at $13.5 million until 2018, Bronson Arroyo and Brandon McCarthy both making north of $10 million for another season at least. ~$82 million tied up in three players (Kershaw and Greinke, maybe worth it because of the Dodgers money and they attract a tonne of fans, A-Gon not so much). Then they're paying massive sums to players to play for other teams; Baseball Prospectus has them paying $40 million for Kemp, Wilson, Dee freakin' Gordon, and Dan Haren. That can't be right, can it?! Good thing money is like water to the Dodgers organization.

Kendrick and Anderson are the only key free agents, but you'd like to think they'll probably go after a big name free agent outfielder (Upton?) and a starter to replace Anderson even with Ryu returning. Grilledcheese, what do you foresee the Dodgers doing this winter and what's your take on their contract situation because I'm losing my damn mind just looking at the wastefulness.

Man, I just looked at the Dodgers' contracts and what a nightmare. Crawford for another two years at >$20 million, Ethier even with his mini renaissance at $20 million for $17 million through 2018 is gross, broken down douchebag Chutley at $13.5 million until 2018, Bronson Arroyo and Brandon McCarthy both making north of $10 million for another season at least. ~$82 million tied up in three players (Kershaw and Greinke, maybe worth it because of the Dodgers money and they attract a tonne of fans, A-Gon not so much). Then they're paying massive sums to players to play for other teams; Baseball Prospectus has them paying $40 million for Kemp, Wilson, Dee freakin' Gordon, and Dan Haren. That can't be right, can it?! Good thing money is like water to the Dodgers organization.

The absurd amount was for only this year. Next year they are only paying for Kemp, Morse and Arruebarruena (Granted that still totals around $16 million but still)

Dodgers future payroll commitments

All said its basically $175 million committed right now ($135 million going to 6 players)

Utley's vesting option converted to a club when he went on the DL, and I highly doubt it'll be exercised. Same with Arroyo - he's not going to throw a pitch for them in 2016. The money going to players on other teams is down to "just" $17.5 million next year, which isn't excessive (but will probably end up going up this winter.

It's a benefit to having more money than god. The Braves had to tie BJ Upton's contract to Craig Kimbrel to get rid of him. If the Dodgers had someone like Upton that was so wretched, they could just eat most (or the whole) of the contract, let him play elsewhere, and wash their hands of it.

it's another benefit when it comes to trades, like the three-way mess between them, the Braves, and the Marlins this summer. The Dodgers took on two dead contracts (Arroyo, Morse, immediately cutting Morse) and ate the entire signing bonus on Olivera's salary and the rest of Latos' contract for 2015. They also picked up a (then) top three prospect from the Braves, two relievers they wanted, and another starting pitcher they wanted with years of control (Wood). They gave up...well, an injured reliever and four minor league pitchers that won't crack the top 30.

I actually think it's refreshing to see a team not give a fuck like this and use their money uniquely instead of just spending half a billion in one winter on free agents (which the Dodgers certainly could do)