DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

What a bunch of fucking wimps getting all upset over something like that. If it was Stanton the third baseman would've stayed the fuck where he was, but how dare that pitcher!

• Like 1

Pretty pumped for the Cespedes signing.  I know it's only going to be for one year but they had to get him.  Their window is now.  Would have been tough to see him go to the Nats.

Probably in the minority but I'm not interested in DH in the national league.  Or any league for that matter.  Pitchers should have to stand at the plate.  They should maintain their hitting ability to some extent all the way up to the majors and also I don't like fat/old players or guys who are defensive liabilities being able to just swing the bat. If you want to be in the lineup you should have to play a position in the field and bat.  There's already a position for the old fat guy, it's called 1st base. My apologies if you play an adult softball league and play first base.  But chances are you're old and fat as well.  

• Like 1

Good teams shouldn't play the old fat guy at 1B anymore. There's a huge benefit to an athletic 1B who plays excellent defense.

Obvious example, but Anthony Rizzo has caught so many terrible throws made to him at 1B and made so many plays around 1B that he's probably prevented tons of runs from scoring. The old guy at 1B doesn't provide the same benefit.

That's one of the reasons I really enjoyed having Mark Grace as 1B, because good lord he saved a lot of errant throws from the likes of Shawn Dunston.

It's not a coincidence that infield defenses always got better when John Olerud - the best defensive 1B not named Keith Hernandez - was playing first.
  • Like 1

Pitchers should have to stand at the plate.  They should maintain their hitting ability to some extent all the way up to the majors and also I don't like fat/old players or guys who are defensive liabilities being able to just swing the bat. If you want to be in the lineup you should have to play a position in the field and bat.  There's already a position for the old fat guy, it's called 1st base. My apologies if you play an adult softball league and play first base.  But chances are you're old and fat as well.  

This is almost word for word what I would imagine Jim Ross would say about the DH in the national league.

• Like 2

The gap between the good teams in the NL (Cubs, Pirates, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Nationals), and the really not good ones (Reds, Brewers, Rockies, Braves, Phillies) is so freaking big. And I still don't buy San Diego or Arizona at all.

Having the Cardinals in that first grouping is being mighty charitable at this point.

The gap between the good teams in the NL (Cubs, Pirates, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Nationals), and the really not good ones (Reds, Brewers, Rockies, Braves, Phillies) is so freaking big. And I still don't buy San Diego or Arizona at all.

Having the Cardinals in that first grouping is being mighty charitable at this point.

Watching some Cards fans go all doom in gloom now that they aren't division favorites is weird.

Watching some Cards fans go all doom in gloom now that they aren't division favorites is weird.

I'm a Cubs fan, unless you were referencing other people. Then, my bad.

Piazza to have his number retired by the Mets on July 30th. A perk of being a partial plan holder is that I get to buy tickets for additional games at a discounted price and with no fees. I was able to get one of the last remaining promenade tickets available for $27, and they are already going for $110 on StubHub. I was there the last (and only) time the Mets retired a player's number (Tom Seaver in 1988). Next needs to be Keith Hernandez's number 17 and Gary Carter's number 8 (and it's an absolute disgrace they didn't do it when they knew he wasn't going to be long for this world).

Good teams shouldn't play the old fat guy at 1B anymore. There's a huge benefit to an athletic 1B who plays excellent defense.

Obvious example, but Anthony Rizzo has caught so many terrible throws made to him at 1B and made so many plays around 1B that he's probably prevented tons of runs from scoring. The old guy at 1B doesn't provide the same benefit.

Athletic in a general sense.  Not necessarily more athletic than other players on the field.  The two spots in the field with the smallest area to cover are 1st and 3rd base and not surprisingly they're the two positions on the field that are the lowest in players with stolen bases.  Because I don't know a better way to quantify athletic in terms of stats.  You're not going to take a really fast athletic guy and put him on first base typically.  If you look at the top 100 stolen bases stat in the majors there's only 4 1st basemen. 

When I say old and fat obviously I'm exaggerating.  But two replies in here about 1st basemen mentioned Jon Olerud and Mark Grace and while they were great defensive first basemen it's not like you'd ever put either of those guys on 2nd base or the outfield.  You're always going to have players that aren't as fast or athletic as a centerfielder or shortstop but still have a great eye and can hit effectively and those players are suited to certain positions in the field.  That's not to say that they can't be great defensive players at their position.  I'm just saying we don't need to dumb down the standards with the addition of this DH position where you can stick a guy who's not that great in the field and doesn't really have to keep up with a certain level of athleticism but still hit the ball.  That's where being a manager comes into play.  I've got this guy who can hit but he sucks in the field, what do I do? It's easy now- DH. 

All he'd end up doing is late inning relief at this point. That or being our ace. There is no middle ground. It's not like we aren't familiar with him, he was here a bunch of years. Time to sign Shaun Marcum and Randy Wolfe to minor league deals. I wonder if Jeff Suppan is willing to come out of retirement. Throw in Ben Sheets while you're at it.