DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

"Baseball was better when you could count on one out of every nine batters the first couple times in the order to sprinkle 1 Texas Leaguer amidst 2 weak grounders, 2 pop outs, and 4 strikeouts." - Idiots.

Why not have designated hitters for every position then? Light hitting shortstop? Designated Hitter! People hate the DH because it is a bastardazation of the game. If you are a baseball player you should have to play the whole game.

"Baseball was better when you could count on one out of every nine batters the first couple times in the order to sprinkle 1 Texas Leaguer amidst 2 weak grounders, 2 pop outs, and 4 strikeouts." - Idiots.

Why not have designated hitters for every position then? Light hitting shortstop? Designated Hitter! People hate the DH because it is a bastardazation of the game. If you are a baseball player you should have to play the whole game.

By this logic then the same 9 who start a game have to end it.

Thus no pinch hitters or relievers

By this logic then the same 9 who start a game have to end it.

Thus no pinch hitters or relievers

By whole game I meant should have to both field and bat. Pinch hitter and releivers are different in that once someone is pulled they are out of the game. Pinch hit for someone they are out. Don't put pinch hitter out in the field and he's out.

Some wiseass will probably tell you to make Mad Bum the DH on days he pitches.

Some wiseass will probably tell you to make Mad Bum the DH on days he pitches.

He already pinch hits :)

Bumgarner is probably a better DH option than any conventional DH candidate they have in the farm system anyway.

I'm against the DH, mostly because I agree that if you're playing, you should hit. I also think that baseball is the sport most beholden to tradition, and, while that has it's drawbacks, it's part of the charm, and I think that adding the DH to the NL would diminish that.

I also saw a little thing on ESPN about international expansion. I didn't get a chance to read all of it, but, if that's the case, I think it'd be pretty cool to get a Caribbean team. I doubt the money could work out, but, I mean, with normalized relations with Cuba, think of the possibilities of a Miami Marlins/Havana Sugar Kings rivalry!

I just want the two leagues to have the same fucking rules. And be called conferences, because the whole "separate leagues" thing is dead. The rules depending on which park you play in is stupid.

• Like 2

Ehh.  I'm not certain what the ruckus is about wanting to put the DH in both leagues.  I am fine with people who hate the DH - taste is taste.  I prefer not to see all the bunts and weak hacks but to each their own.

But one thing to bear in mind, with the way youth leagues (especially once you get into HS and college) are getting into specialization, you are asking some guys who have not hit since they were in little league to all of a sudden pick up a bat and learn to hit again at the major league level.  Pitchers hitting is going to get uglier and uglier the further on we get.

Ehh. I'm not certain what the ruckus is about wanting to put the DH in both leagues. I am fine with people who hate the DH - taste is taste. I prefer not to see all the bunts and weak hacks but to each their own.

But one thing to bear in mind, with the way youth leagues (especially once you get into HS and college) are getting into specialization, you are asking some guys who have not hit since they were in little league to all of a sudden pick up a bat and learn to hit again at the major league level. Pitchers hitting is going to get uglier and uglier the further on we get.

It's stupid to have the DH before pro ball. MAYBE ok in college. But in high school? Pitchers are usually playing on their non-pitching days anyway. So let them hit all the time.

Ehh. I'm not certain what the ruckus is about wanting to put the DH in both leagues. I am fine with people who hate the DH - taste is taste. I prefer not to see all the bunts and weak hacks but to each their own.

But one thing to bear in mind, with the way youth leagues (especially once you get into HS and college) are getting into specialization, you are asking some guys who have not hit since they were in little league to all of a sudden pick up a bat and learn to hit again at the major league level. Pitchers hitting is going to get uglier and uglier the further on we get.

It's stupid to have the DH before pro ball. MAYBE ok in college. But in high school? Pitchers are usually playing on their non-pitching days anyway. So let them hit all the time.

It's not mine to question WHY it happens, but it does.  Youth leagues above little league have DH rules.  In small leagues and small areas it's not a big deal since generally the best players pitch and play an actual position.

Once you get into large areas, large programs, and travel leagues that specialize in pumping kids into college and/or getting scouted by pro teams, pitchers are specialized pretty much wholesale.

If you keep the NL as the only non-DH anomaly, then you're not going to get better hitting pitchers anytime soon.

I enjoy that you want to be beholden to tradition... yet expand internationally

Fair point, though it's not that I want to be beholden to tradition, I just think it's one of those things that helps make baseball special. I'm not FOR international expansion, I just think the idea of a Caribbean team would be cool.

I'm mixed on the DH issue. I get the appeal, but I'd prefer it just went away in general. On a "my team" perspective though, hard to say there is an NL team that would benefit from the DH more then the Cubs right now.

I dunno if they would benefit more than the Cubs, but having a DH would work well for the Rockies too. Would let them play Gonzalez, Dickerson, Blackmon and Parra every day.

$75 not $70, but whatever. If he sucks ass this year, Mets fans don't have the right to complain since they wanted him back so badly and wanted the team to spend so damn much.

All of a sudden...decent looking winter for the Mets. And the Nats will end up uh...probably doing something dumb next week in an attempt to counter that.

That is both a signing I'm not crazy about but one I think they had to make at the same time.

The gap between the good teams in the NL (Cubs, Pirates, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Nationals), and the really not good ones (Reds, Brewers, Rockies, Braves, Phillies) is so freaking big. And I still don't buy San Diego or Arizona at all.