DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Oh man.  The Indians DFA'ed Chris Johnson and unless they can trade him (HAH), they'll be eating the remaining $17 million on his contract.

Edit.  The Indians actually released him and ate the money.  Well, still better than still paying Swisher and Bourne, I guess.

Edited by EdA

fwiw they're actually eating more money on this deal than the Braves, it's just spread over a longer term.

Atlanta is paying $20 million for Swisher/Bourn in 2016

Cleveland is paying $10 million for Swisher/Bourn in 2016 along with $7.5 million for Johnson in 2016, $9 million in 2017, and a $1 million buyout

Braves also took on the balance of Swisher/Bourn for '15, which was roughly $9 million, and Cleveland took on the balance of Johnson inn '15, which was like $2 million

Yankees-Red Sox and Giants-Dodgers five times in the first 16 Sundays, including Yanks-Sawx on BACK TO BACK SUNDAYS.

THIS IS BASEBALL HELL.

What a bunch of horseshit. I fucking hate national games because I get blacked out on MLB.TV. I have my internet set to show that I am in Austin, Texas so I can get around the local blackouts on LAD-SFG games (and avoid the homers that SFG employs as a broadcast crew) on LAD-SFG games, and then they end up on Sunday Night Baseball, totally ruining my plan.

Yankees-Red Sox and Giants-Dodgers five times in the first 16 Sundays, including Yanks-Sawx on BACK TO BACK SUNDAYS.

THIS IS BASEBALL HELL.

What a bunch of horseshit. I fucking hate national games because I get blacked out on MLB.TV. I have my internet set to show that I am in Austin, Texas so I can get around the local blackouts on LAD-SFG games (and avoid the homers that SFG employs as a broadcast crew) on LAD-SFG games, and then they end up on Sunday Night Baseball, totally ruining my plan.

I mean this really for another thread but how many teams DON'T employ homers?

Bob Brenly comes to mind since he didn't play as a Cub, he was just the best man for the job and it worked. His son was drafted by the Cubs, but I don't think that played into any homerism. Biased as this may be, but Kasper and Brenly I think were the best announce team in baseball. I really miss Brenly now, but Deshaies is alright I guess. He's Brenly-lite.

THIS IS BASEBALL HELL.

Fair enough, very true that the vast majority of announce crews are going to be guys with a vested interest in the club. LAD's road crew is pretty good about it, but when Steiner and Monday are together on the radio, they can be a little much for me. I'm spoiled by Scully, you can tell that he enjoys watching the Dodgers, but he comes right out and says exactly when they are playing poorly, and points to what they are doing wrong, all while praising the things that the other team is doing right.

Orel / Nomar / Steiner are doing a pretty good job of maintaining semi-neutrality, but Orel gets pretty stoked about a good day for Dodger pitching, and it comes through in his broadcasts.

I like the Mets crew in the handful of games that I have heard from them, and I really liked Tommy Hutton. I guess I just want guys to hold the team accountable when they play poorly, and not go apeshit when something goes right for the club.

I don't think the Yankees tv crew are too much of homers. Michael Kay will call the Yankees out on it when they're playing poorly. I don't think of any of the ex players in David Cone, Paul O'Neill, Al Leiter, John Flaherty, or Ken Singleton show favortism. They all played for other teams, so it's not as if they only give the New York point of view. Singleton is from New York, but never played for the Yankees. Now, John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman; they're homers. I don't think any Yankees fan would deny that.

I think the Os crew is outstanding as while clearly they love their team - they are very fair in the announcing and also acknowledging team faults (and other teams accomplishments).

Man - I wish Jim Palmer did national coverage again.

Kinda why I love Bob Papa and Carl Banks on NYG radio

THIS IS BASEBALL HELL.

Skip Caray wasn't afraid to bury the hell out of those awful Braves teams he had to watch for a good chunk of his tenure.

As I said a couple pages back, Hendu was an absolute delight to listen to on the radio. Even when he stopped calling games for the Mariners, he was still a frequent guest on the local radio shows and had a manner that was equal parts easygoing fan and no bullshit analyst. As a longtime Mariners fan this is as big a blow as losing Niehaus was.