DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

In regards to the DBacks getting a lot better, I'm not sold. I think the Miller trade actually made them worse, not better. They did get Greinke though, but I see him being more "solid No.1" then "elite player" this season.

They're clearly *better*, it's more of an issue of "how much" better. Going from Inciarte to Tomas in the OF could be catastrophic defensively though, and not enough to make up for the upgrade from Hellickson to Miller in the rotation.

If the Giants take care of their outfield issue properly, I think they're the favorites in the West, fwiw.

Santana will be the DH/part-time 1B/part-time C, I'd assume.

NL is looking top-heavy again. Cubs look like the class of the league again, with the Pirates, Nationals, Cardinals, and Mets in the next tier

Something, something, defending National League Champions, something.

I don't think it's a shot against the Mets to say they look a bit worse then they did going into the playoffs. Real questions with the bats on that team again.

Really, there aren't many teams in the NL that look like they took big steps forward so far this off-season. Cards lost Heyward, gained not much, Pirates have lost some pitching, Dodgers are out Greinke and have nothing to show yet, Nats have stood pat due to all there targets deciding "I'd really much rather go to the Cubs instead, so...", and the Mets haven't accomplished anything yet. It's really only been Chicago, San Fran, and Arizona that have taken steps forward, and the cost Arizona took to take those steps forward is very questionable.

Yeah, this. The Mets clearly upgraded up the middle with Walker and Cabrera and upgraded by virtue of Cuddyer's retirement, but still haven't replaced Cespedes' bat. Conforto/Lagares/Granderson is fine, but I think you have to expect from regression from Grandy.

Still like them in the NL East, though.

Also, Bart re-upped with the Mets for another year. CHAMPIONSHIP.

Santana will be the DH/part-time 1B/part-time C, I'd assume.

NL is looking top-heavy again. Cubs look like the class of the league again, with the Pirates, Nationals, Cardinals, and Mets in the next tier

Something, something, defending National League Champions, something.

I don't think it's a shot against the Mets to say they look a bit worse then they did going into the playoffs. Real questions with the bats on that team again.

Really, there aren't many teams in the NL that look like they took big steps forward so far this off-season. Cards lost Heyward, gained not much, Pirates have lost some pitching, Dodgers are out Greinke and have nothing to show yet, Nats have stood pat due to all there targets deciding "I'd really much rather go to the Cubs instead, so...", and the Mets haven't accomplished anything yet. It's really only been Chicago, San Fran, and Arizona that have taken steps forward, and the cost Arizona took to take those steps forward is very questionable.

Cards lost Lackey and Heyward...but gained Broxton. Didn't get Price, Greinke, etc. Holliday is getting older, but at least he's still the same asshole he ever was, so that isn't in decline.

I like the move LAD made today, minus losing Peraza. I was curious to see what he would kind of a ballplayer he would become, now I will have to watch it happen somewhere else.

Interesting that the word from LA says they see Montas as a starter, but I guess that shouldn't be too unbelievable, although there are holes to fill on both ends of the pitching staff.

I also like the vote of confidence in Justin Turner at 3B by not going after Frazier. 600 less PA for Turner in the last two years, but Turner smokes his triple slash, and Frazier has the WAR advantage and the HR numbers. And it sounds ridiculous, but I dig that Turner always has a big dumb smile on his face. I like guys that enjoy their jobs. It always makes me think of Dave Henderson.

Dave Henderson is awesome. He does radio games for the Mariners from time to time and he's always a delight to listen to. 

Fuckin' A right he is. He was so goddamn nice to me on more than one occasion when I was hawking for signatures down by the player's entrance to the Coliseum. He said hello to me once, and Dave Parker was walking in behind him, and I told Hendu what a fan of Parker's that my dad was, and he turned right around and hollered at Parker and brought him over and introduced him to my Dad. Super fucking cool thing to do, and it gave me even more reason to root for him.

Edit: Sorry about the double.

Edited by grilledcheese

Apparently Shapiro said the payroll is going up due to the weak canadian dollar. That is, they have to pay more in cdn$ to keep it the same as last yer

There is that.  140 million US = around 190 million Canadian now but also the stadium needs anywhere from 250-400 million dollars in work over the next few years.

The more they spend the more they'll get from increased interest. The team as is will not be a contender and Toronto fans should rightly be upset, as they're close but badly need an infusion of talented pitchers. It's not like this year's free agency class was full of great arms or nuffin. 

They could have had a pitching infusion if they didnt deal away so many arms.  Toronto is never going to be a 200 million dollar payroll team and bringing in free agents aint going to happen when they are paying Tulo 20 million a year, Russell Martin close to that and if Donaldson keeps lighting it up who knows

The Brewers traded a bench guy with quite a bit of potential for two random Pirates with some potential. THE HOT STOVE IS COOKING IN MILWAUKEE~! We will trade you Ryan Braun and Matt Garza, pick up their entire contracts and send you some cheese curds for a pile of magic beans or best offer.

So what would they not give a shit about in his failed physical that LA has issues with it makes you wonder.

Mariners have agreed to terms with Hisashi Iwakuma on a one-year deal with vesting options for 2017 and 2018

Just guessing here, but I'm thinking whatever came up the Dodgers were afraid he would miss some time. The Mariners already had a rotation set so if Iwakuma misses time the Mariners can afford it because they were already prepared to go into the season with Hernandez, Miley, Karns, Walker and Paxton. If Iwakuma is ready to go at the start of the year then he slides into the rotation and one of Karns, Walker or Paxton goes to AAA. If he's not they go with those guys and send someone down when Iwakuma returns.

Also, the initial sticking point with Iwakuma and the Mariners was that they didn't want to guarantee a 3rd year. It was initially reported that Iwakuma's preference was to remain in Seattle so when the guaranteed 3rd year went out the window he probably just figured he may as well stay where he's comfortable.

Apparently Shapiro said the payroll is going up due to the weak canadian dollar. That is, they have to pay more in cdn$ to keep it the same as last yer

There is that.  140 million US = around 190 million Canadian now but also the stadium needs anywhere from 250-400 million dollars in work over the next few years.

I saw someone mention on twitter that shapiro does not have same strong feeings as beeston on needing grass in the dome.

Also - the Mariners doctors and front office already know Iwakuma's medical history so it is possible that they already knew of the condition that spooked the Dodgers (if there was something)

Iwakuma contract details:

Iwakuma gets a $1 million signing bonus payable through December 2017 and a $10 million salary this year.

Seattle has $10 million options for 2017 and 2018, and Iwakuma would get a $1 million buyout if either option is declined. The 2017 option would become guaranteed at $14 million if he pitches 162 innings next year, and the 2018 option would become guaranteed at $15 million if he pitches 162 innings in 2017 or 324 combined in 2016 and '17.

In every season, he can earn $500,000 each for 150 innings pitched and each additional 10 through 190. He receives a full no-trade provision, eight business class plane tickets annually between Japan and the U.S, an interpreter and a trainer with a $100,000 salary. When the contract ends, he will become a free agent again.